No Drink January

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man there are a lot of good posts on this thread! I hope that if someone is struggling with quitting can read this and be inspired and motivated to take the right steps to make their lives better. JayKay is spot on with a lot of stuff here. You can try to surround yourself with people that will help you, but in the end, it all has to be you that wants it and does it. There are plenty of things that can help out there. One that I've heard of and have actually tried is Kava. It's a Polynesian drink made from a root that they use to help resolve differences (angry polys are not easy to deal with). I guess it has a similar effect as alcohol but isn't alcohol. People struggling to stop drinking use it as a substitute for alcohol. It is also used for anxiety and depression. So if someone is drinking their problems away, this could be the answer...

3geese4me

Honored Member
It's been almost 12 years since I drank heavily. I will occasionally have 1 or 2 on a social basis. For the most part I have no problem drinking coffee or mtn dew while others drink beer/whisky. For me, my mom was a habitual drug user and once she completed her rehab program, I vowed to stay sober with her to help motivate her. One year turned into two and so on. I do find myself craving a cup of coffee and my wife figures that is a better situation than craving a case of beer after work.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had my temptations, so I decided I need to commit to a timeframe. I decided 1 year was a pretty good goal.

The temptations have been infrequent but... unusually tempting. Liquor cabinet remains full and nothing is spoiling.

CB5BD17B-E493-4441-986F-A2437DBF45EF.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Edit to add: I suppose it’s poor taste to post that pic in a thread about quitting drinking. Weather Bucket made me do it.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had my temptations, so I decided I need to commit to a timeframe. I decided 1 year was a pretty good goal.

The temptations have been infrequent but... unusually tempting. Liquor cabinet remains full and nothing is spoiling.

even the tz.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Edit to add: I suppose it’s poor taste to post that pic in a thread about quitting drinking. Weather Bucket made me do it.

What's a thread about drinking, without a little poor taste?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

even the tz.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is that your bottle??

And what was your address again?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pappy holds zero temptation for me.

Because rum.

America disagrees!

Just came from a grocery store liquor store and I was flabbergasted at the selection of bourbon there. They had some good stuff, and a hell of a variety. Hearing you always preach about rum I jumped over an aisle and saw less then a quarter of the size of bourbon selection, in rum. Now, I always believe in the don't nock it until you try it motto. So, what would your recommendation be for an easier to get, decent sipping bottle of rum, outside of the big city liquor stores?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was in Jamaica over the holidays, the rum was pure bliss

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
​My drinking tapered off like a cliff about 21 years ago. Thats when the NW Angle became our second home. The wife put the fear in me re" DUI as we had to check into Canada about 20 times a year. I don't even look at a vehicle even after one beer.
Although I still have my 10 golden raisins that are gin soaked every day.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Success so far. Easier and harder than I expected.

”This sucks” and “This is stupid” are common phrases re the no booze policy. :)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Success so far. Easier and harder than I expected.

”This sucks” and “This is stupid” are common phrases re the no booze policy. :)

If it was easy everyone would do it. After this last weekend at the ice fishing tournament it has reaffirmed a lot of grown men just can’t have a few but act like idiots first time they have ever seen beer.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could substitute one drug for another maybe something a little less intoxicating like devils lettuce. I have been sober for 16 years now and 15 years tobacco just like ahab siad its engrained into our society that every gathering seems to be a must that one must drink. Anyways if they could find a fool proof test to prove that I am not under the influence of THC then I would definitely would like to try some edible ones but until they can produce a fail safe test it will be nothing for me. Which I'm ok with more money for other useless things that I dont need

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck guy. I decided I needed a break and have had only one beer since August. Don't miss the hangovers. At. All.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could substitute one drug for another maybe something a little less intoxicating like devils lettuce. I have been sober for 16 years now and 15 years tobacco just like ahab siad its engrained into our society that every gathering seems to be a must that one must drink. Anyways if they could find a fool proof test to prove that I am not under the influence of THC then I would definitely would like to try some edible ones but until they can produce a fail safe test it will be nothing for me. Which I'm ok with more money for other useless things that I dont need

Lunk, the last thing you need is mind altering drugs...... hell we just assumed you were already high.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beer, getting fat chicks laid for over 150 yrs. think of all the big girls who are suffering from this self induced prohibition you sober sonsabitches

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunk, the last thing you need is mind altering drugs...... hell we just assumed you were already high.

Nope of course you would be wrong in your ASSumption, To those who can drink and maintain a healthy lifestyle I am jealous of because in my world being socially accepted as being one of the norms is tough. I cant go out after work with the guys to have a few cold blue num nums. They ask me why not just one then I tell them remember Frank from Old School well that's what I would be and take like 3 days to recoup then I would miss my other responsibilities which would my my life unmanageable. But if a could pop a couple gummies or maybe a brownie I would be ok with that. But since it's a federal crime I dont want to have to choose to give up my rights given to me by the constitution.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor lady works for a booze distributor (a very high risk job if you ask me) and she gave me a nice variety pack of NAs. If anybody is interested I'll do a blind taste test and report back.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beer, getting fat chicks laid for over 150 yrs. think of all the big girls who are suffering from this self induced prohibition you sober sonsabitches

Somebody has to slay the dragons right?!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75