No Drink January

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice work to those participating and cheers to those who are not! I’m on week three. No booze, sugar (including bread), no dairy, and only eating meat we killed. Completely flushing the system for 7 weeks. All cravings stopped after about a week and down 8 lbs. I figure if I lose 20, that’s 20 extra lbs of bear bait I can take in per load in a few months!

The booze was the easy part. I really only get legally “drunk” maybe a couple times a year these days. Down from 2-5 times a week for about 7 years in my late teens and early 20s. I quit for two months three different times during those old days just because I had to prove to myself (and family) I could. The ol Charlie Daniels song is always very relatable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsB_Q_RLFmc

Last edited:

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work to those participating and cheers to those who are not! I’m on week three. No booze, sugar (including bread), no dairy, and only eating meat we killed. Completely flushing the system for 7 weeks. All cravings stopped after about a week and down 8 lbs. I figure if I lose 20, that’s 20 extra lbs of bear bait I can take in per load in a few months!

The booze was the easy part. I really only get legally “drunk” maybe a couple times a year these days. Down from 2-5 times a week for about 7 years in my late teens and early 20s. I quit for two months three different times during those old days just because I had to prove to myself (and family) I could. The ol Charlie Daniels song is always very relatable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsB_Q_RLFmc

I've been toying with doing this but cutting bread would be brutal (I'm crushing a Jimmy Johns sub as I type). I did just start an intermittent fasting program this week so maybe next week and can push myself to cut some carbs out.

Keep it up!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
or just eat a normal diet of non processed fresh whole foods and exercise 30 minutes a day and drink a gallon of water. I do intermittent fasting to its called sleeping at night.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beer, getting fat chicks laid for over 150 yrs. think of all the big girls who are suffering from this self induced prohibition you sober sonsabitches

LMAO that's a closet that needs the door forever seal on the door. No Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Beer, getting fat chicks laid for over 150 yrs. think of all the big girls who are suffering from this self induced prohibition you sober sonsabitches

LMAO that's a closet that needs the door forever seal on the door. No Comment

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, time to over-share with you goobers s’more.

Taking a break from booze is a start. A good start. A GREAT start. Part of my hiatus from booze was that I’d recognized my output was directly tied to my input. Garbage in, garbage out. Food, drink, sleep, media, everything. I don’t just mean physically.

When I quit dulling my senses with booze and making an effort to eat reasonably well and exercise, I began to become reacquainted with other areas of my... existence. My brain started functioning better than it had in a long time, maybe ever. It’s amazing how much of your attitude and personality and ability are biological and driven by your eating, drinking, sleeping, and activity. It didn’t make me smarter, it made me more aware. Aware that I’d allowed my mental acuity to atrophy. Aware that I need to actively work towards improving things, not just skate. Aware that my feelings aren’t really important. Aware that I’m a bit of a douche canoe. Aware that I need to take myself more seriously because a lot of things depend on it.

I think an unconscious fear of self awareness pushes a lot (most?) people to keep drinking/drugging, even though most probably don’t realize it. Self awareness and honest self assessment is scary and uncomfortable. You’re medicating, numbing yourself from yourself. If you’re really afraid of being honest about who you are, alcohol will protect you from that. I suspect most regular drinkers have no clue this is going on because you may not be doing it intentionally. But don’t deceive yourself: you’re dulling your consciousness. Maybe we’ll dive further down this rabbit hole another time.

If you’re able to quit drinking, do it. Not drinking is a super power. Use it.

“I wish I could go back 20 years and do more with my kids and go more places and save more money and not drink so much and save my marriage and spend more time with my parents and...” That starts now. Whatever you’re capable of doing right now to prevent future regret, you can do that right now! Imagine you had a time machine and had one chance to go back in time to do it right. Well, you do. Do it right RIGHT NOW for the ‘you’ that will look back in 20 years. Or you could just spend the next 20 years drinking beer and being a putz. I’m sure you’ll be real popular with the guys on the internet.

Taking a break from booze is a start. A good start. A GREAT start.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow --- i know i got finger pointed at on here about drinking. Couple posts on FB and everybody thinks all a guy does is drink - when actually the only posting to FB is when we get together to party.

I am not dissing you bed; but seriously in my life i look back and say man i wish i would of slowed down a little and maybe had a few more drinks----that along with some good food, friends, family and just stop the world and look at it for a while. I coded a couple times 5 years ago and a half of a week later i was back at my job grinding and giving away my time and not stopping and enjoying life a little. I hear about diet -- to be real honest kurt has it down --- add to that though some red wine and you have the perfect diet. Not a bottle just a glass -- or a 1 latte (not as good for you but it helps oxidize).

I am just the opposite of most evidently -- i have no crave for alcohol or any drug for that matter. I can go for weeks and not have anything. January is probably the month to drink and save July --as July is the only damn month we have here that you can go outside and enjoy life. I got friends that are drinkers and they use it to medicate --ex. friday after a hard week - socialize have fun and then wake up saturday and the focus to a home project. If were fishing -- fairly light on the booze the night before have a few with dinner. I am not a big drinker in the boat guy, if someone else is driving then maybe a few. I dont drive if i drink period. UBER - no excuse for anybody to drive anymore. My friends that drink they are some of hardest working people, sincere and every one of them have a good family life and are successful. Do i still binge - yup every once in a while - generally at an event party etc., less and less the older i get -- to rough on a guy.

my last beer - vikings game last weekend -- yes i needed it to medicate myself.

good fishing, Short

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may toss down a couple this afternoon just thinking of those poor easterners that quit for a bit and now have to clean up snow AGAIN. Almost would drive a man to …………..

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
received_2110450782299753.jpeg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got old and yes there were many roads to travel down, missed a few, thought i might have missed a few but then would of miss the ones i drove on.
So not to worry about that because there is a new road to drive down tomorrow.

I feel i am lucky as i began drinking in my junior year in high school which consisted of a beer or 3 as that was all i could handled. Have worked up to maybe 12 beers on a given night at a bar if i am active but mostly 4-5 and then maybe one night the most each week.
No regrets and have a old mill in my hand right now as the wife said it is to cold to go to the bar. Maybe 3-4 tonight. But then maybe none next week.

So i commend those who feel the need to change their llfe but at my age i am not looking to begin that diet or quit the beer. My only concern for now is warm weather, my bike with a motor, my wife and what or who we will see in the coming months and what new experiences we will have.

Yes should of done a few more things but done more than most it appears to be with a lot of memories that will go the grave with me. db

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, time to over-share with you goobers s’more.

Taking a break from booze is a start. A good start. A GREAT start. Part of my hiatus from booze was that I’d recognized my output was directly tied to my input. Garbage in, garbage out. Food, drink, sleep, media, everything. I don’t just mean physically.

When I quit dulling my senses with booze and making an effort to eat reasonably well and exercise, I began to become reacquainted with other areas of my... existence. My brain started functioning better than it had in a long time, maybe ever. It’s amazing how much of your attitude and personality and ability are biological and driven by your eating, drinking, sleeping, and activity. It didn’t make me smarter, it made me more aware. Aware that I’d allowed my mental acuity to atrophy. Aware that I need to actively work towards improving things, not just skate. Aware that my feelings aren’t really important. Aware that I’m a bit of a douche canoe. Aware that I need to take myself more seriously because a lot of things depend on it.

I think an unconscious fear of self awareness pushes a lot (most?) people to keep drinking/drugging, even though most probably don’t realize it. Self awareness and honest self assessment is scary and uncomfortable. You’re medicating, numbing yourself from yourself. If you’re really afraid of being honest about who you are, alcohol will protect you from that. I suspect most regular drinkers have no clue this is going on because you may not be doing it intentionally. But don’t deceive yourself: you’re dulling your consciousness. Maybe we’ll dive further down this rabbit hole another time.

If you’re able to quit drinking, do it. Not drinking is a super power. Use it.

“I wish I could go back 20 years and do more with my kids and go more places and save more money and not drink so much and save my marriage and spend more time with my parents and...” That starts now. Whatever you’re capable of doing right now to prevent future regret, you can do that right now! Imagine you had a time machine and had one chance to go back in time to do it right. Well, you do. Do it right RIGHT NOW for the ‘you’ that will look back in 20 years. Or you could just spend the next 20 years drinking beer and being a putz. I’m sure you’ll be real popular with the guys on the internet.

Taking a break from booze is a start. A good start. A GREAT start.

Spot on, man! When I was drinking (and I don't kid myself at all about my level of drinking) I would have chuckled nervously at this, and went for another glass a' taters (vodka is made from taters). Or rum.

What you describe fits me to a tee. Except, while I quit "voluntarily", it maybe was more out of fear of losing my wife and little kid. She saved me. Or rather, she made me open my eyes and really take a look around. I'm sure glad I did. In a moment of weakness, I saw where I was headed (get it? Weakness?), and didn't like it. I saw a guy who was thinking "I'm a grown-ass man, and can do whatever I want. I'll just be alone, but so be it. I can fish and do what I want, when I want, with whom I want".

Then I saw the future. Me, broke. Living in a shit-hole house or apartment. No money or time or desire to do anything but drink. I know that's not how most end up. But if we're honest, the ones who DO end up like that, sure as heck didn't plan on it. And there are some smart people, now living just like that.

So, yup, the eye-opening that accompanies sobriety was a bit screechy at times, but I wouldn't go back, for anything.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

Still dry

Not drinking still seems retarded

Every single bowel movement has been grade 9 or better. Yes, every single one.

In the evenings, if I can't find something to do (TV blows) I just about lose my $hit

Beck's and O"fools amber are the best NA locally (can't find Labatt's). They've begun to taste good. I can't believe I just typed that

Tempted to continue through February - but I'm weak

I will never ever take alcohol for granted again : )

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

Still dry

In the evenings, if I can't find something to do (TV blows) I just about lose my $hit

Beck's and O"fools amber are the best NA locally (can't find Labatt's). They've begun to taste good. I can't believe I just typed that

Hang in there buddy...if the urge for a pull is that strong than you were smart to make a change and take back control.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will regrettably be on the east side of the state for some work events February 3 and 4th. I would be willing to take #guywhoneedstogetwasted out for a good old fashioned hammer time.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Update:

Still dry

I triple dog dare you to make it through Feb alcohol free. :;:smokin

waaaaaaaaa TV sucks... ;:;rofl

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
luckily I have a basement remodel that is soaking up my hyperness effectively

The hyperness is short-term. I slept like crap at first. Night-sweats, and the whole 9. Then, felt like I was going to squirm out of my skin. If these "symptoms" don't make you think twice about crawling back in the bottle, I dunno..

It's different for every person though. I don't mean to say my experience was the same as yours. For me, it was real obvious..

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is starting to kick in.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is starting to kick in.

C2DC61C7-9626-4B40-AFD5-DF7A9802A9C9.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

The hyperness is short-term. I slept like crap at first. Night-sweats, and the whole 9. Then, felt like I was going to squirm out of my skin. If these "symptoms" don't make you think twice about crawling back in the bottle, I dunno..

It's different for every person though. I don't mean to say my experience was the same as yours. For me, it was real obvious..

I began to sleep better than I have ever slept. Alcohol interferes with REM sleep. (I was also exercising, so I was really ready to sleep when I hit the sack at night.) Now I sleep okay, but even when I don’t get a good nights sleep I don’t feel it near as much the next day. It’s a lot easier to operate on 4-5 hours of sleep now.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77