No Drink January

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So now what. It’s March. So conflicted.

Each needs to find what works for him, I think in terms of moderation......I probably have a drink every week or 2. Something I treat myself too when I have had a good week or it has been awhile and the sound of it really seems like it will hit the spot. No different than eating unhealthy foods or some other activity that is not really good for your body but an occasional indulgent won't have any long term negative affects. Your body is a temple.....well, not sure about YOURS specifically :)

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't stop now! You have some good momentum and should be used to just keep going! It's the ups and downs that getcha! (Roller coasters) Just stay pointed uphill and you won't stop benefiting from it! That's growth brotha!!

Time to find something else to occupy your mind. What else can you change in your life that will help you? Bad eating habits? Exercise? More time outside? Reading good books? Church? There's an endless list for me. When I get one habit changed/formed I try to pick another one to work on.

:;:rockit

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never been much of a "never, always, black-and-white" kind of person. Sure, there's exceptions to the rule. But by and large, I've tried to live by my Grandpa Ray's motto: Everything in moderation.

Guy, you've obviously seen some pretty significant changes and personal growth milestones by being dry for two months. And if it feels right to move forward that way, then travel the path as long as far as it will take you.

In my own life, I've set personal goals and limitations that allow me to have some control, without completely ruling out a treat now and then. I don't drink during the week. The only times this changes are if we go out (which is seldom) or there's some event. And even then, I limit myself. Weekends, I drink only in the evenings, or again, if there's some party/event whatnot where social drinking is acceptable.

My wife has taken this approach to dieting, and it works wonders. She used to try sticking with plans to a T, giving here little room for failure. Ultimately this stringent approach led to failures, and lower feelings of self worth. Now she's been following a basic eating plan that actually changed her habits. She watches what she eats closely, but allows herself to imbibe in something else on weekends or special occasions.

Again, it's the moderation part that works. She doesn't go completely bonkers and devour a cake on Saturday because it's her cheat day. But she allows herself to still be mindful of what she's eating, without it impacting her mental/emotional welfare.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^Duck...so basically it's "sustainable"...that's usually the best approach. Three "dry" days in the books for me...not really sure if I have any expectations or not? Sleeping the same...feel the same...but I was a glass of wine every night drinker...so I guess not too heavy? If nothing else maybe if I go 1 month with no alcohol I'll drop a couple pounds? Might be harder to abstain from alcohol once fishing moves to the boat instead of the ice...we'll see!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duck,

I think some of my changes were simply due to deciding on making changes I simply hadn't decided to make previously

Like portion control, deciding on one food vs the other, etc. - they were easy once I decided I had the will power necessary to quit drinking

so it wasn't necessarily the booze that was causing the issues - it was the crappy attitude about my health that I decided to better manage

how much the increased energy was psychological vs physiological - who knows

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brokebackjack brought this up in another thread so thought I would resurrect. I’m still on the wagon going on 5 weeks now. I am getting the best sleep I’ve had in a LONG time, much more energy overall, especially in the mornings (but definite notice more throughout the entire day as well). I’ve lost between 6-8 pounds in that period by simply not drinking and eating a tad better. Need to get some more exercise in though. So far it has been great overall to take a break. I wasn’t a heavy drinker per se, but also fell into the category of having 2-3 toddies most nights.

One added benefit and sounds a bit a bit weird so laugh away... I had a foot odor problem and sweated quite a bit prior to giving up booze. I have noticed my foot odor problem has completely gone away and I sweat a lot less than I used to. I did a little research on that and your body gets rid of booze through oxidation, causing releases of diacetic acid which causes the stink. There’s more to it, but thats the short and sweet version. There. You all learned something today haha.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried drinking this weekend. Drank about the same as I did on weekends prior to stopping.

The two days following the booze nights were very low energy, sorta foggy/depressed. Just wanted to lay around and feel sorry for myself.

Guess my drinking days might be over. It's like my body detests booze now.

Damn it. It was so enjoyable before. The sudden change is maybe due to my metabolism not being what it once was.

On the bright side - I'm still down 15 lb from when I started. And it's "easy" in that it requires no will power.

- - - Updated - - -

in other words - there's no way the low energy thing was in my head - it's the booze

- - - Updated - - -

it's a depressant - so I guess that makes sense - ha ha

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried drinking this weekend. Drank about the same as I did on weekends prior to stopping.

The two days following the booze nights were very low energy, sorta foggy/depressed. Just wanted to lay around and feel sorry for myself.

Guess my drinking days might be over. It's like my body detests booze now.

Damn it. It was so enjoyable before. The sudden change is maybe due to my metabolism not being what it once was.

On the bright side - I'm still down 15 lb from when I started. And it's "easy" in that it requires no will power.

- - - Updated - - -

in other words - there's no way the low energy thing was in my head - it's the booze

- - - Updated - - -

it's a depressant - so I guess that makes sense - ha ha

The after affects are what deter me at this point. I used to be able to do it all like a rock star. My rock star days are over. My body cries uncle like the guys I used to make fun of now. I pick my battles wisely at this point. I can still do a "one nighter" here and there. "Two nighters" turn me into a bum for about two days following. I have too many balloons in the air to be a bum now days. With age comes wisdom because age forces wisdom. Ha ha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
happens to the best of us, lol

- - - Updated - - -

you’re still as good once, as you ever were though

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had some friends fly down from ND a couple weeks ago. I ended up having a few beers...tasted good and all but I didn't like the feeling afterwards either.

I think my drinking days are done as well...maybe a social beer here and there and call it good. I would have never thought that a year ago.

So far, only 6 beers since August.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The after affects are what deter me at this point. I used to be able to do it all like a rock star. My rock star days are over. My body cries uncle like the guys I used to make fun of now. I pick my battles wisely at this point. I can still do a "one nighter" here and there. "Two nighters" turn me into a bum for about two days following. I have too many balloons in the air to be a bum now days. With age comes wisdom because age forces wisdom. Ha ha

Rock and roll isn’t for everyone

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79