Can convicted FELONS fish??

DareDevilDave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if fishing rights are taken away also? If so I don't think thats right..

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you take the hunting and fishing away why not just give them the SHOT.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know a guy who is a convicted felon and he bow hunts and fishes...no firearms, but he can take his kids firearm hunting. Would Nebraska be different than ND?

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
People with felony convictions are allowed to fish, absent some kind of special provision imposed by a court or other authority. For example, convictions for certain fish/wildlife crimes can result in loss of fishing privileges for specified periods of time. Make sure your buddy/cousin doesn’t fall into this category.

I believe felons can also possess a bow, but there can be restrictions. In North Dakota a bow/arrow is defined as a “dangerous weapon”. Felons under active parole/probation supervision are typically not allowed to possess dangerous weapons, thus no archery gear while under supervision. It’s possible a felon may have their right to possess any dangerous weapon restricted for a set period of time ( 5 years, ten years etc.) as well, separate from any parole/probation, depending upon what state law outlines and what was imposed at the time of sentencing.

I’m guessing your cousin will be just fine to go out fishing. I’d recommend he call Game and Fish before messing with a bow/arrow, just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe felons can bow & muzzy hunt. But I think if anyone is behind on child support they can loose their hunting / fishing license

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep depending on the state your in they can even go deer hunting or duck hunting they just have to go old school and use a muzzleloader. But since you would likely be using it during the main rifle season you could go ahead and pimp it out with big Scopes and bipods and anything else you want.

bowhunter12

Founding Member
Founding Member
little of topic
This pertains to ND, Not sure with other states.
Felons that are not legally allowed to be around guns(firearms), but still allowed to be around Other weapons can still apply for ND rifle tag and then use muzzleloader(not considered firearm) or archery equipment to fill said rifle tag. There are different levels of felon convictions. Some convictions don’t allow to be around any weapons(including archery or muzzleloader) others it is just guns(firearms).

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy I used to work with was way behind on child support, didn't help that he didn't know he had a son till he was almost in his teens in a different state. Well she one and he could no longer have firearms and I also believe he had to relinquish his bow but maybe he just sold it to help pay faster. Fishing was allowed for him. Good guy that is always willing to help anyone, shitty situation that he made the best of and busted his butt to make things right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77