Fort Collins CO area

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Looking for any input on the Fort Collins CO area. I got offered a job down there and just looking for any input good or bad. From what I gather the only downfall is a high, aggressive housing market. Some people say it has to many people but overall it seems chill and spread out.

Hard to make decisions when you have a big family! I appreciate any help.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's booming and leans only modestly left. Could be MUCH worse.

Gorgeous natural areas abound.

Tons of new construction - like any booming place.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lived in Evans and Fort Lupton for a bit. I didn't like how close it got to "big-city-type" of living, but there was always escape in the mountains. And that escape makes me miss it a lot! If I could, I would move to the Ft Collins area almost any day! And so would my family (yes, I speak for all of them...;:;rofl)

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a buddy that lives in Severance/Windsor area. My wife and I kicked the idea around about moving down there a few years back just for a change for a while but after working in Denver for a few days and learning what the saying could take 15min to get somewhere or could take 3hrs truly meant I decided nope not for me. Fort Collins wasn't too bad but I would have been working consistently around the Denver metro area so just didn't want to deal with it. Overall I don't think it would be a bad place, just like everywhere it has its ups and down.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of positives and plenty of negatives. So you’ll have to take the good with the bad. But on a good note you can all smoked up on the mj and nobody will give a shit. I imagine you can go to the mall and watch all the smoked out clowns for fun lol

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for any input on the Fort Collins CO area. I got offered a job down there and just looking for any input good or bad. From what I gather the only downfall is a high, aggressive housing market. Some people say it has to many people but overall it seems chill and spread out.

Go ask on Rokslide lots of coloradans on there. Seems liberal is the way of the future there

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of positives and plenty of negatives. So you’ll have to take the good with the bad. But on a good note you can all smoked up on the mj and nobody will give a shit. I imagine you can go to the mall and watch all the smoked out clowns for fun lol

A lot of employers will drug test for that still. So even though it's legal, a lot of people can't smoke it because of work...We had extensive conversations about it at work...

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I lived in Evans and Fort Lupton for a bit. I didn't like how close it got to "big-city-type" of living, but there was always escape in the mountains. And that escape makes me miss it a lot! If I could, I would move to the Ft Collins area almost any day! And so would my family (yes, I speak for all of them...;:;rofl)

Good to know. When I was down there even though there is a lot of people it didnt seem any more crowded then Bismarck. The job is actually in Loveland but that is really only 10 mile from Fort Collins. Are people in the area friendly? From what I have seen, people in denver area not friendly but all others in CO seem like good people overall

- - - Updated - - -

Go ask on Rokslide lots of coloradans on there. Seems liberal is the way of the future there

Thanks, I will check it out

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to know. When I was down there even though there is a lot of people it didnt seem any more crowded then Bismarck. The job is actually in Loveland but that is really only 10 mile from Fort Collins. Are people in the area friendly? From what I have seen, people in denver area not friendly but all others in CO seem like good people overall

You have all types there. I was able to make a few friends and some of them have stuck (that's saying something for me...). If you like sports, bars, sportsbars, you shouldn't have any issues finding good people. Like any big city, everyone is busy and can seem not-so-friendly. If you look east and northeast of there, its farmland or ranches. So some of those towns and people can be super friendly and some aren't. I actually felt like there were more friendly's there then here is Williston. The difference there for me is that I have a lot more close friends here than there.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Got a buddy that lives in Severance/Windsor area. My wife and I kicked the idea around about moving down there a few years back just for a change for a while but after working in Denver for a few days and learning what the saying could take 15min to get somewhere or could take 3hrs truly meant I decided nope not for me. Fort Collins wasn't too bad but I would have been working consistently around the Denver metro area so just didn't want to deal with it. Overall I don't think it would be a bad place, just like everywhere it has its ups and down.

The Windsor/Severance area is one place we are looking at rather hard, as well as Berthoud area. Any info on these specific places would be amazing. We would likely just build a house since we plan to be there 10 or so years at minimum so the kids can finish out school.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know about Fort Collins but I was in Denver a few months back and I was not a fan. The smell of marijuana everywhere, homeless on every corner, dirty, people hallucinating on the streets (shrooms are legal as well). I spent most of my time down town so it might different away from there. Also, we were taking the buses up and down 16th street mall. A buddy of mine got onto a bus full of black guys and they started chanting "we hate white people". He said it was very unsettling, imagine if it would've been the other way around. probably would've made national news.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know about Fort Collins but I was in Denver a few months back and I was not a fan. The smell of marijuana everywhere, homeless on every corner, dirty, people hallucinating on the streets (shrooms are legal as well). I spent most of my time down town so it might different away from there. Also, we were taking the buses up and down 16th street mall. A buddy of mine got onto a bus full of black guys and they started chanting "we hate white people". He said it was very unsettling, imagine if it would've been the other way around. probably would've made national news.

That's a great representation of Colorado...as a whole. Especially Ft Collins... :::

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Windsor/Severance area is one place we are looking at rather hard, as well as Berthoud area. Any info on these specific places would be amazing. We would likely just build a house since we plan to be there 10 or so years at minimum so the kids can finish out school.

The Windsor area I know has changed a lot since I have been there but back then it wasn't too bad with lots of opportunities to get into bigger lot sizes, not sure how the pricing has been in recent years. My buddies are was a pretty clean to almost higher class seeming area. I guess I haven't been back there since probably around 2016 now that I think about it and then I was mostly around the Denver suburb areas and based out of Henderson. Like everywhere you got areas that are much less desirable than others such as Shockwave pointed out and I was never in downtown Denver but went by my share of nice neighborhoods and plenty of crap holes. I'm actually surprised that work has not sent me down there again but then again I did end up in Phoenix this past spring and will likely be going back sometime in the coming weeks or months to help out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

he should have started dancing i am sure the rhythm was good

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

The only downfall about Ft Collins/ Loveland area is the higher housing prices. You can get cheaper housing prices if you move farther away from the big towns or up into the mountains! We visit there quite often and enjoy all it has to offer. My wife would move there instantly if I got a job there. I would be more hesitant because of less ice fishing opportunities ( there are some walleye lakes around). It is a really fun place to visit and there is a ton to do so a great place for kids. Sometimes you can smell stoners but most of the time you would never know it was legal there. Traffic can be busy but mainly only a pain on the weekends and on the interstate. If you stay north of Loveland and don’t get too close to Denver you shouldn’t have no problem. PM me with any questions and I can help out!

- - - Updated - - -

Ft Collins is nothing like downtown Denver. Downtown anywhere big is sketchy. Denver does have some fun places to see though: mile high stadium, children’s science museum, Denver zoo, voodoo doughnuts!!!!!, and more.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lived in Cheyenne for a couple years in the early 90’s. Fort Collins was a very nice place then. I hadn’t been through there in 20 years and went through there in 2011. Holy shit I couldn’t even recognize the place. It blew up to an enormous level in just 20 years. And now it’s been ten years since I’ve been there I can’t imagine what it’s like now.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A resident elk tag every year for the countries largest elk herd would appeal to me.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
We lived in Loveland for 12 years. It was ok for me but the wife like it more. We are active and liked all there was to do and see. I hunted elk every year. The first year I went with some new friends with rifles. I never went with my rifle again. Every corner your went around and every hill you walked over was overrun with other hunters. I archery hunted the next 10 years and loved it. We met many people from ND. It seemed like the place for young ND kids to settle. Almost all have moved back to ND including myself. We made the decision to move back after we had kids and they were just starting school. For us it was more important to raise the kids in ND. During our time in CO we had our vehicles broke into, the wife was flashed, and brothers car was stolen. All that being said, we loved our time there but it was good to come home.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
We lived in Loveland for 12 years. It was ok for me but the wife like it more. We are active and liked all there was to do and see. I hunted elk every year. The first year I went with some new friends with rifles. I never went with my rifle again. Every corner your went around and every hill you walked over was overrun with other hunters. I archery hunted the next 10 years and loved it. We met many people from ND. It seemed like the place for young ND kids to settle. Almost all have moved back to ND including myself. We made the decision to move back after we had kids and they were just starting school. For us it was more important to raise the kids in ND. During our time in CO we had our vehicles broke into, the wife was flashed, and brothers car was stolen. All that being said, we loved our time there but it was good to come home.

Good input, We both grew up in ND, her in Valley City, me in Mandan. We moved away to Louisiana for me to go to grad school in 07, then to Idaho, then to Oregon. We moved back to ND in 13 for the reasons you stated above. After 7 years back we are ready to be out. My mother ended getting cancer and passed, she was the rock and our family fell apart. Not much here for family these days aside from a sister. I mean they are all here but not present. It gets boring here even though I am really active. I mean I woke up to naked girl in my recycling bin in the middle of the night in bismarck......what I am saying is there are those things you mentioned above everywhere. I think all places have good and bad its a balance. I am hoping this will be good for my family, but if its not we can always move again, not ideal but its easy enough to do. If that would to happen, I dont think we would loose anything on the house with the markets the way they are

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, That's a good thing I started with "I don't know about Fort Collins..." and only talked about downtown Denver. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74