One man's quest for 1000 Coyotes

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know zero about trapping but I can't imagine how much work that must be day after day. Pretty cool though. He must be hanging around Kansas or so? Saw his temps have been from 10-60 the last couple weeks.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy is a fricking machine. It's one thing to be able to go has hard as he has for a few weeks, but to do it for months is insane. A lot of the guys that do this at least have somebody else skinning for them. It's also easy to see the difference in coyote densities between here and farther south, notice how his catch numbers increased dramatically as he gets farther south.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personal Drive, Dedication, and Discipline on display right here. Impressive!! LOTS of guys talk the talk, but this guy is most definitely walking the walk. I wish him all the best in his endeavor.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder why he heads south so soon, isn't the fur better up here where it is frigid? or is it a first come first serve type of deal and he is getting after them as soon as they are "ready"?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
His primary goal is to hit a number, not necessarily to get the best quality furs. Better furs are worth more money, but at a certain point, volume trumps quality.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Incredible. And here I haven’t even shot one in like 3 years. Feels like I’m slacking.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wonder why he heads south so soon, isn't the fur better up here where it is frigid? or is it a first come first serve type of deal and he is getting after them as soon as they are "ready"?

The fur maybe better here, its harder to get around with the snow and he drives to every trap. So its a lot faster the way he does it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy that trapped (not snared) 95 a few years ago and I was impressed. this guy trying for 1000 wowser

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is really cool, but what do you do with a trapped skunk? is there a market for them? Don't they "go off" at some point?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is really cool, but what do you do with a trapped skunk? is there a market for them? Don't they "go off" at some point?

Skunk essence is used in a lot of coyote baits and lures. It's pretty easy to put a skunk down without it spraying.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member

The fur from a skunk probably isn't worth much, the essence can be used as lure or sold. Supposedly the essence is the money maker on skunks. Many videos showing how to remove it without getting stinky.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buried a skunk a few years ago. Next morning the coyotes had already dug it back up. Rotten bastards didn't even fill the hole back in or leave a thank you note.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to bury a skunk with the tail sticking out and put traps around it. Worked well for us back in the day.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fur from a skunk probably isn't worth much, the essence can be used as lure or sold. Supposedly the essence is the money maker on skunks. Many videos showing how to remove it without getting stinky.

me - removing skunk glands for the first (and last) time

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good for him!

This is a guy that could teach others a lot if he had the time.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is he storing the pelts?
He should have a great Payday when he sells!

- - - Updated - - -

Where is he storing the pelts?<br>He should have a great Payday when he sells!

KDM, did you trap this season?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

He just skins them and lays them flat in a freezer. He has 3 big freezers and one smaller one that he has in his enclosed trailer. At Christmas time all his freezers were full. And is in the process of filling the others up. After he is done trapping will start flashing them and putting them on boards.

From Robert

I freeze coyote pelts laid out flat in a freezer with the nose and tails tucked inside the pelt. A plywood cut out that just fits inside the freezer is used with pieces of heavy plate steel on top of it for weight to help compress them for the most efficient use of the space. Pelts frozen in this manner freeze faster (and defrost faster at fleshing time) than if they are rolled up. Muddy or bloody hides can be placed in paper feed sacks and frozen the same way. Sheets of newspaper can also be placed between muddy or bloody pelts to keep them from freezing together or to the freezer walls. With your heavier northern early season coyotes, you will average 3.5 pelts per cubic foot of freezer space. As season progresses and the coyotes get fully prime, you will see this drop to 3 per cubic foot. Your central plains states type coyotes, (i.e. Kansas) will average 5.5 to 6 in early season and then 5 fully prime coyotes per cubic foot of freezer space. Using these figures, a trapper should be able to determine how much freezer space they need for “X” number of coyotes.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Not a stitch. We got 2 ft of snow then rain which hardened everything up. Them DAMN dogs are everywhere and can go anywhere they want to this year. None of my circle of snaremen got more than a weeks worth of time in the field before the lines were totally buried. I think the count was a grand total of 6 dogs lassooed. SUCKS!!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76