One man's quest for 1000 Coyotes

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
https://onemansquestforathousandcoyotes.blogspot.com/

I have been following this Trapper's quest for 1000 Coyote in a fur season. He is at 715 as of yesterday. All Coyotes have been trapped. No snares no shooting. He started up by Williston and is in Kansas right now. He skins everything at night and freezes them.

This is a amazing how he can rack up the #'s.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capture.jpg

Unbelievable!!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
cache.php

[h=3]4 Tips to make you a better coyote trapper.[/h]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1) Make your sets as "animalistic" as possible.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]They need to resemble prairie dog & ground squirrel dens or badger diggings that the coyotes encounter on a daily basis.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2) Location, look at your environment like a coyote does! Your sets need to be where the coyote is, not 10 feet away. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3) Use good quality urine and a bait that a coyote actually wants to eat, not just something that stinks! If your dog won't eat it, it is doubtful a coyote will. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4) Leave the lure on a shelf in the fur shed!! It is not natural and will often cost you more coyotes and grief than it is worth! High quality good urine is the absolute best lure you can use.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Really cool picture

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never done any trapping, but this is awesome! I'm assuming by "doubles" he's getting more than one dog in the same general trap site but, what causes the second, third, etc. dogs to come in to the area once one has already been trapped?

emerald

Established Member
suckled in the den, by a collared female timber labradoodle,hence his uncanny prowess of coydogs,can also cry wolf, eg.:;:smokin lis warren

- - - Updated - - -

liz warren;:;boozer

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
RW' s skill/ grit/ determination is off the charts!.
Catching that many is a feat itself.
Skinning is another feat.
The guy is a freeking machine!!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
RW' s skill/ grit/ determination is off the charts!.
Catching that many is a feat itself.
Skinning is another feat.
The guy is a freeking machine!!

I don't think anyone can say it better.

- - - Updated - - -

January 14, 2020

14 coyotes, 6 with mange and 2 bobcats.

hes at 729 after today and two Bobcats​

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've trapped offn on for years.
Have had days with 50+ traps out in good spots only to catch shit!.
His attention/ knowledge to details is something few can comprehend.
He's already at a milestone I'm figgering few have ever done.
I'm rooting for him 100%!!
We often hear #' high numbers posted on the web. But it always has a " we did this" attached to it. " We" can include 100' s of people.
Far as I know, RW is flying solo.
Hell, I love shooting 5+ coyotes a day which don't happen often but going home and skinning them sucks!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how much he gets for each one skinned?

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s interesting to me that he doesn’t use lure... I recently purchased Craig O’Gorman’s book ‘Hoofbeats of a Wolfer’, I’m not done with it yet but he definitely seems to believe in lure. His numbers speak for themselves but then so do this guys’. Just kinda interesting how two different styles both work really really well. I bought some of O’Gormans lure and it is the most intense smelling lure I’ve ever smelt. Even after going back to a set weeks later I can still usually smell it. I would think this would be an advantage and drive coyotes crazy, but good for this guy to rack up insane numbers like that with urine.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s interesting to me that he doesn’t use lure... I recently purchased Craig O’Gorman’s book ‘Hoofbeats of a Wolfer’, I’m not done with it yet but he definitely seems to believe in lure. His numbers speak for themselves but then so do this guys’. Just kinda interesting how two different styles both work really really well. I bought some of O’Gormans lure and it is the most intense smelling lure I’ve ever smelt. Even after going back to a set weeks later I can still usually smell it. I would think this would be an advantage and drive coyotes crazy, but good for this guy to rack up insane numbers like that with urine.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This is the only lure I use. Just the muskrat (or beaver) blood dribbled around the hole. Notice there is only one place for the coyotes foot to land at each set.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s a cool idea to use blood at the set... adds a visual attractant as well that gland lure can’t really do... how do you collect it? Cut the jugular after skinning a beaver and let drain into a bottle? Or just slice the animal at the set and let it bleed out a little? I can’t quite tell what you’re holding in the pic, looks like a bottle but not sure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75