Record ND Walleye Blog

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get it...

The guy makes a blog 3 pages long, and tries to explain his side of the story and his innocence. Then goes and locks up the blog that he tries to explain his situation and change everyone's minds. The guy is a nut!!!

YEP , the guy is Toby !!!!!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever happened, happened. I believe it was snagged, the fact that he himself talks about the fish coming in backwards in his blog. I've never seen a fish hooked in the mouth come in backwards. The video showing the hook being removed from the back of the fish, all the talk about the hook coming out of the mouth and the fish rolling and rehooking itself in the side seems far fetched. While it could happen i think the odds are better it was foul hooked to began with. He needs to let this go, mount the fish, remember the good memories of it and not the bad memories. I can't imagine how bad it sucks to snag the state record and it not count because it was snagged but time to let this issue go.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snagging the state record was always a nightmare of mine when fishing schooling fish spawning spots.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was all for this guy. Thought that there was a lot of jealousy happening, and thought that if his witnesses said it wasn't snagged, then it wasn't. Case closed. I had decided.

Then, as time went on, and a few details emerged, I changed my tune. Of course, by then, I didn't care much.

But, why let him keep it if is was foul-hooked? Or, if they let him keep it, then it must have been legit, so why no record? I concur, that the truth may never be fully known. I also agree that this is not a good look for him. He's starting to look crazy.

but I do feel for the guy. Imagine, if it were you, and you were innocent, and were becoming a laughing stock.

Also, if the fish had a hole or two in it's hide, that should be no surprise, given that a lot of people said a lot of fish were being snagged. Even if nobody else succeeded in landing that particular fish, it's no stretch of the imagination that it had been hooked a time or two.

You are 100% right about jealous people. It is in every walk of life. Weather its a job promotion or someone shooting a big Buck. Its human nature, weather you believe it or not. Personally I watched the video and I cant tell so would never judge. I do know if I was lucky to catch a record fish or shoot a record book buck, some people would start something and I would be pissed off to and may say something and do things I should do.

Nothing is going to change with the Game and Fish.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least he’ll get to look at the fish for the rest of his life on his wall. While he stares at that fish, deep down, he’ll know exactly what happened. Either way, it’s going to eat him alive!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago I read a book called “The River Why.” Imagine Catcher in the Rye but it’s about fishing. And much less bleak. The psychological implications of The Snagzilla Affair make me want to read that book again. Lots of internal struggle about fishing and the right way to fish and wrong way to fish and who’s to say which is which and what does it all mean...

Dude has a huge freakin walleye caught with a baited hook from shore with his family and buddy. Just leave it at that and enjoy it. Makes me hope I never catch/kill a record.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just something about the hooking a fish and someone else netting it way down stream part that I struggle with. I fish some swift rivers and have never had a walleye do that. Not calling the guy a liar at all it’s just not something I’ve seen. Also it still looks like by the videos I saw is he could have no idea what the situation was with the fish when it was netted. Just too much distance involved. Oh well, shitty situation all around. If the percentage of fish being snagged out of there as opposed to mouth hooked is within 20% of being accurate of what people have been saying I’d say there better be a serious warden presence down there.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy that netted the fish, his friend and officer of the law, said he never seen the fish hooked in the mouth. Why would his friend lie about that? The G&F should have confiscated this fish. At first I didn’t think so but with this guys behavior they should have confiscated it. The guys a fruit cake and snagged the damn thing. Quit acting like a jackass

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are 100% right about jealous people. It is in every walk of life. Weather its a job promotion or someone shooting a big Buck. Its human nature, weather you believe it or not. Personally I watched the video and I cant tell so would never judge. I do know if I was lucky to catch a record fish or shoot a record book buck, some people would start something and I would be pissed off to and may say something and do things I should do.

Nothing is going to change with the Game and Fish.

1) Two springs ago, I caught a 32" tagged eye. Measured, and released. Since then, I wish (oh how I wish) that I'd kept and had it mounted. It's very unlikely that I'll ever beat it. That fish is gone gone gone. But, at least I'm not trying to get people on my side. Then again, it wasn't a record, and I don't really care.

I don't know this guy - could be mental illness, or something. All in all, he needs to drop this.

2) That fishing spot is ruined, for probably a decade. I never fished it, but could have been tempted. Now there's no chance you'll see me there.

My two-cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Years ago I read a book called “The River Why.” Imagine Catcher in the Rye but it’s about fishing. And much less bleak. The psychological implications of The Snagzilla Affair make me want to read that book again. Lots of internal struggle about fishing and the right way to fish and wrong way to fish and who’s to say which is which and what does it all mean...

Dude has a huge freakin walleye caught with a baited hook from shore with his family and buddy. Just leave it at that and enjoy it. Makes me hope I never catch/kill a record.

You're not wrong dude. The headache may not be worth it. Keep it, and people may holler. Let it go, and you may holler.

I gotta find this book. Sounds great!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This isn't complicated. Don't fish a renowned snagging hole if you don't want to undergo scrutiny in the event of a record catch.

I wouldn't hesitate to fish it at all - other than the crowds (YUK!).

I'd just make sure I walked the net around and showed people who were watching that the hook was in the mouth. If it spit the hook (fat chance IMO) I'd have to make the decision to either let her go OR undergo intense scrutiny. Not complicated at all. It's your choice.

- - - Updated - - -

that book sounds like a drag - I got enough crap to worry about - fishing is my escape - why get all mooly about fishing ethics? Good grief BW!!!!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy that netted the fish, his friend and officer of the law, said he never seen the fish hooked in the mouth. Why would his friend lie about that? The G&F should have confiscated this fish. At first I didn’t think so but with this guys behavior they should have confiscated it. The guys a fruit cake and snagged the damn thing. Quit acting like a jackass

Didn't Gibbs also say he netted the fish tail first? If the fish was tail up stream wouldn't most guys net it starting from the downstream side and bringing the net upstream into the fish the opposite direction the fish is going? I have looked for the video of him netting the fish but can't find it.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I snagged 2 eyes over 28" a few years back in the coulees north of DL, and saw numerous other really nice fish caught. But 85 % were snagged. Was my first trip there, and the last trip there. Never to do again. The non sporting aspect of it completely diminished the fun part for me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think i found a picture of snagzilla. looks legit to me

snagzilla hula.jpg

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure why some of you don't understand why the GNF allowed him to keep the fish but won't give him the record. In a court of law, you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he snagged it. They apparently couldn't do that. In the court of record fish in North Dakota, you don't have those standards. So if the GNF has a suspicion that it was snagged, they have no obligation what so ever to say he has the record. It's not rocket science.

If it makes some of you feel better, just make your own record book of fish and put this fish as the record in North Dakota.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure why some of you don't understand why the GNF allowed him to keep the fish but won't give him the record. In a court of law, you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he snagged it. They apparently couldn't do that. In the court of record fish in North Dakota, you don't have those standards. So if the GNF has a suspicion that it was snagged, they have no obligation what so ever to say he has the record. It's not rocket science.

If it makes some of you feel better, just make your own record book of fish and put this fish as the record in North Dakota.

I did that but in my book I have the state record...a 17 pound walleye that I snagged (unintentionally of course), but luckily it was just in front of the gill covers.

I was smarter than this guy though...never told anyone about it (until now of course) so I still have my favorite fishing spot to myself. I never took photos or videos of it so I wouldn't open myself up to the public's scrutiny, and I never reported it to the G&F so they wouldn't have the chance to fumble through processing it as a verified record. I also do all my own netting so there are never two sides to the story.

It's only in my personal record book along with all of my other state records.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't they cite him for illegal possession? Records are one thing - but citing a guy but not confiscating the animal involved in the supposed infraction seems wonky.

Is letting someone keep an illegally taken animal common as long as they lawyer up? Quite the precedent - wonder who will be next to challenge confiscation?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75