Confidence Crank

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
If you could only go out there with 6 cranks, and they all had to be the same crank, what would it be?

Or, which crank do you throw on first, generally?

I don't know why, but the flicker shad 7, clown, is probably my go to.

Yours?

Berkley_Flicker_Shad_Chrome_Clown_alt2

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
#6 rippin rap until the weeds choke out the shallow water. Ssr07 or 05 in purpledecent is my next fav for casting over the top of weeds. I avoid trolling so I have zero insight there.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since it's usually cloudy more than sunny, I would take the same crank, but black and silver. I think I'd choose that one now, since last June it hit a homerun 6.5 lber in a tournament !! Cloudy rainy day. Should have had it on all day instead of only last couple hours. Don't know what I was thinking. I usually always start with a flicker shad of some color. Some of the purple ones I really like.

I should write an article about pulling plugs. That's what they used to be called when I started running them back in mid 90's. And I've put a lot of hours on a lot of different plugs.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is as close to a silly question as it gets around here.

On the river in the early spring: #5 or 7 SR Rapala in chartreuse and silver in 3-6 ft of water).

On Sak or any other body of water holding walleye in late spring and summer: #7 or 9 Shadrap in Chartreuse and silver in 7-14 ft of water.

Those are closely followed by blue and silver, or firetiger. If you aren't catching fish with them as noted above, you're so drunk you're probably fishing in your bathtub.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
#5-6 Fire tiger and purple descent but jigs rule and raps druel for casting/pitching. Casting them into the wind sucks and de-weeding them sucks harder.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's weird is how one year is different than the next. One year its pink n white and the next is a gold n purple. Of course we're always changing brands and colors. I've been running cranks for 25+ years. Wally Divers were my favorite for 10 years or more. Not sure what the color of the one I call 'The Champ' but its purple bluish with a white belly n oink eyes. I still use it now and then but not with the success it once had. I think the influx of shad and the absence of smelt has changed which plugs to use.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still say "Shameless Plug" is the best lure name ever.

I also firmly believe that a guys confidence crank catches the most fish, because it is used the most. If a guy cared enough to keep track, it'll be the one that caught that big 'un once, back last year, and it sees the most time in the water.

My favorites move around a bit. Not so much the color, but the crank itself. I spend a fair amount of time casting in relatively shallow water. Less than 7 ft. Often less than 3 or 4 ft.

It's hard to beat the regular stick-baits, like Original Floaters and Husky Jerks, by Rapala. Of course the floaters float, and the jerks are suspending. Jerks are heavier, cast well in the wind. A little thicker so they wobble a bit more, at lower speeds.

I really like the Shadow Rap Shad, shallow version too. Again, nice and heavy so casts well right into the wind. Dives 3 to 4 feet, and has a light rattle. Great all around lure.

To answer the question, my six lures would be two #11 originals (one hot steel, one firetiger), two #13 originals (one blue-guy, one chartreuse), and two Shadow Rap Shad (shallow) (one clown, and one Dirtymike Snootie).

And with only 6 lures, I'd be real careful.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought this was going to be about right before going out on the big date or the once a year anniversary deal after you get married

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flicker shads for 15 fow or less...and Flicker minnows for 15 fow or deeper...variety of colors depending on day/light/water...etc.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
For my beloved Sheyenne River.....nothing better than a Yozuri Crystal Minnow shallow runner in Blue n Silver!! It's heavy enough to cast very well in the wind, AWESOME wobble in side current and sloooooowwww retrieves, and durable enough to take rocks/trees/and hammer handles. The bottom one of the first pic to be precise. I have two others for shallow water, but this is what I tie on FIRST and most of the time that's all I need.
images

But they come in a myriad of WONDERFUL colors..........(Grin)

images

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
This question is like asking which of your children you love the most. It changes day to day or month to month.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74