Snowshoes

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m in the market for a new set of shoes, what are you guys running that will fit over hunting boots up to bunny boot? Thanks

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the military surplus magnesium shoes: https://colemans.com/snowshoes-g-i-magnesium-and-binding-combo
They're great shoes, very lightweight. They're maybe not as good in really fluffy snow as the more modern shoes, but they're quieter.
However, the included bindings suck. You'd also want these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U1CJNO/?tag=nodakangler10-20
Those bindings are awesome. They're very adjustable and quick on and off. Mine have held up for years.

Note: included links are for demonstrative purposes. You can likely find each cheaper if you look around.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last month I bought Crescent Moon 30". I am not impressed for soft new snow as the foot print is too small @ 175 lbs. My old set that I gave away years ago were 54" Alaskan style made from white spruce. Loved them but that company went out of business.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give The Honey Hole in Riverdale ND. a call. He’s originally from Alaska and hand makes snow shows. They are a work of art! I am to old and fat to use snow shoes but I am tempted to buy a pair of his to hang on the wall. He has some in his store.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The MSR Lightning Ascent is a great one. The bindings aren't my favorite BUT they may go big enough for bunny boots. I have an Atlas set that has incredible bindings, but they will only fit a hunting boot, nothing really bigger. The MSR's have the best side bite of any snowshoe I've used, which is a huge plus in some situations. It is going to be a challenge to get something with big enough bindings for bunny boots though. Good luck!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new aluminum snow shoe with cleats are great just make sure to get a set big enough to add some floatation. All the bindings i have seen will adjust from a work boot to a pack boot. they pack a nice trail. I bought some off ebay cheap to leave on my snowcat all the time.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't care what brand/ price/ material. A 30" set of anything is only gonna give you so much footprint given same width.
On hard packed/ open/ windswept areas, smaller may be ok.
Any kind of grass/ brush or places the wind will hamper snow compaction, no shoes are better than ones that don't have enuff footprint.
Wood is way quiter than the new fangled aluminum
frames with the solid decking. I wasted good money on a set of them.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a wooden set of Tubbs I got off of ebay after many attemps because they bring good money. I threw a set of Bob Maki rubber bindings on and its the perfect coyote setup!

bilbo

Honored Member
I have quite a few pairs from some made for running in to my big 60" traditional wood ones I made from a kit. I have those GV bindings on a pair of the GI snowshoes and they work great. I use those shoes most as they are rugged, reasonably light, and have decent flotation. I'm not a huge fan of the modern style for walking. I like having the tails. I'd say the GI style with good bindings is probably the best bang for the buck. Next up would be traditional wooden ones. Make sure you include clothing and anything you may be carrying when considering how much weight your shoes will have to hold up.

GET THE NET

Check out northerntoboggan.com. I can't post the link for some reason but google it. He makes some high quality wooden snowshoes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75