Kobe

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
As sad as this is for folks that idealized kobe,this episode stands out in my mind as well rapping this young gal in vail colorado thats about all I know about him the bball player,never watched him or any of the nba

Or did she just cash in on a rich guy?

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
[video=youtube;28QYy8lrww8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=28QYy8lrww8&feature=emb_lo go[/video]

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
form another site

As a helicopter pilot, here's what I think happened based on ATClive.net and AirTraffic Aware.

The helicopter pilot asked SOCAL for flight following (IFR routing) but was denied as he was too low for that. Ceilings were reported at OVC1300' on NOAA history. The San Fernando valley floor is only 800 to 1000'. He probably went in to IMC when he met the rising terrain westbound on 101, attempted a 180 out while in the soup and hit the mountain. We read reports on these outcomes in mountain passes before, eg. Donner pass, Grapevine, the Rockies, etc. where scud running the highway leads to VFR into IMC, then...your boxed in. His speed was recorded at 150 knots as well. WAAAAY to fast for flying in Special VFR. He should have climbed, declared emergency and received IFR flight routing.

PILOT ERROR

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched the video of the helicopter crash from one of the guys at work, the video showed the helicopter lose control, crash into the ground, and burst into flames. Pretty sad

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
form another site

As a helicopter pilot, here's what I think happened based on ATClive.net and AirTraffic Aware.

The helicopter pilot asked SOCAL for flight following (IFR routing) but was denied as he was too low for that. Ceilings were reported at OVC1300' on NOAA history. The San Fernando valley floor is only 800 to 1000'. He probably went in to IMC when he met the rising terrain westbound on 101, attempted a 180 out while in the soup and hit the mountain. We read reports on these outcomes in mountain passes before, eg. Donner pass, Grapevine, the Rockies, etc. where scud running the highway leads to VFR into IMC, then...your boxed in. His speed was recorded at 150 knots as well. WAAAAY to fast for flying in Special VFR. He should have climbed, declared emergency and received IFR flight routing.

PILOT ERROR
The pilot was cleared for instrument flying and even taught others how to fly just based on instruments. I wouldn't necessarily say PILOT ERROR. Sad deal for sure, but the media attention about Kobe has gotten old already. I care more about the kids that were lost.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pilot was cleared for instrument flying and even taught others how to fly just based on instruments. I wouldn't necessarily say PILOT ERROR. Sad deal for sure, but the media attention about Kobe has gotten old already. I care more about the kids that were lost.

I didn’t say that I don’t know shit about flying. That’s what another helicopter pilot said. I guess you can listen to the radio and see all that stuff on the web.

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn’t say that I don’t know shit about flying. That’s what another helicopter pilot said. I guess you can listen to the radio and see all that stuff on the web.
I didn't say that you called it pilot error, just pointing it out. All good here.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched the video of the helicopter crash from one of the guys at work, the video showed the helicopter lose control, crash into the ground, and burst into flames. Pretty sad

I think that was another crash in reality - not Kobe crash - if it’s the same my wife showed me

- - - Updated - - -

they claim it’s the Kobe crash but terrain is wrong IMO

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Guy, and was no fog at all in that video if the same one. Looked like a deep clay or rock ravine to me?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

The explanation of the crash stated it was due to low cloud cover. Sounded like it crashed cloaked in clouds.

tulrich

Tired of hearing about it already. Sorry to hear about the loss of life, but enough about Kobe. We have men and women dying to protect our freedoms in this country. How about we mourn the loss of some people who actually deserve to be mourned.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri and their basketball-playing daughter Alyssa; mother and daughter Sarah and Payton Chester; Mamba Academy basketball coach Christina Mauser and pilot Ara Zobayan.

- - - Updated - - -

The “other people”

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is interesting:Pilot audio reveals final moments before deadly helicopter crash

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pilot Error is the cause of most (not all but a lot) aircraft accidents. You can blame fog, but it's the pilot's choice to fly in those conditions. He was too low for the terrain, pilot error again. Getting boxed in by terrain happens in aircraft when the pilot can't see very well. At 150+mph the pilot doesn't have much time to react and at that speed even helicopters don't turn on a dime. Again, Pilot error. This doesn't detract from the sadness of 9 people loosing their life in a violent crash. Perhaps there will be a mechanical problem found but most evidence now leads to pilot error, just as I'm sure most vehicle crashes are due to driver error.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lawsuits always are designed for those with deep pockets. Since this helicopter was owned by Kobe Bryant, do the families remaining behind sue Vanessa/Kobe Bryant for millions to cover their "losses"? I believe that outcome remains forthcoming. No?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wasn’t owned by Kobe, It was chartered. The question is did Kobe pressure the pilot to fly in those conditions.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am a HUGE (huuuuuuge) Kobe fan. I have always been a basketball nut, and I idolized the way that guy played.
His passing hit me pretty hard. Way harder than I ever would have assumed for someone I have never met, or actually known.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It wasn’t owned by Kobe, It was chartered. The question is did Kobe pressure the pilot to fly in those conditions.

I am curious of this as well. Parents and kids on a chopper that planned this route to get to a basketball tournament. If you plan on taking a 50 mile helicopter ride and all of a sudden its too foggy and the only way is to drive through LA traffic you are never going to make that tournament. I have a feeling that the pilot was pressured into it but we will never know. But it also sounded like he was a top tier pilot and could handle it. Sad deal all around.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Will never know for sure unless they find a mechanical problem. Until you fly into conditions where you can't see your surroundings, without instruments you will be amazed at how quickly you lose your bearings. This pilot was instrument rated so I'm assuming he instantly went to instrument flying but at that speed in that terrain you have to react so quickly. Much better to get higher and fly over any obstacles. Speculation will bring none of them back.

Once during my flight training my instructor took me into clouds. Always thought I had a good sense of direction and was flying without looking at my instruments. When he reminded me to watch my instruments I looked down and realized I was in about a 30 degree bank and it felt level to me. A good lesson and even better when I had the instructor sitting next to me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74