Bismarck Traffic Lights News Story

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe class b douche Erberle could create a mobile app or something online to help you poor guys out with those lights.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to be from Expressway to state street whether in 7th or 9th all you had to do was drive under 30MPH and you hit every one green, only ever have to wait for 1 light then drive under 30.

has that changed?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Mandan west of the refinery. We talked many times at work about Bismarck lights/streets. I could, on a good day make it to work at the USPS on expressway in 15 minutes. My bretheren in north Bismarck living a fourth or half that distance couldn't top that. Those were days when we had to be at work at 6, 6:30 and then 7. Once they moved us to 7:30 or 8 am, no way. Too much traffic. I do know the one way going north (9th) from Main, if you kept it at speed limit starting out from a red light, you made green lights on the go all the way to the capital. Those idiots beating me off the line, I caught up to at the next light. Driving those city streets 6 days a week for 30 years didn't bother me because I was on the clock, earning a living, driving how slow or how fast I could given the traffic/conditions/engineers decisions. If ya'll were on the clock, it would be different. just sayin'

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I know is that if you're in a hurry in Bismarck, then good luck. Not sure about the lights, i just try not to get smacked by some idiot. Lot of people on their FN phones.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd agree Bismarck's traffic is a little wonky. Still beats the heck outta Minot.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I read the article initially I was really hoping they were going to add 2 more lights to the 3 they already have in Mandan on sunset dr between old red trail and just south of the interstate. I mean 3 was obviously an overkill so maybe those geniuses thought 5 lights in a 200 yd stretch would make traffic flow;:;banghead;:;banghead

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
All you people complaining about traffic should travel to Sri Lanka for a few weeks, youll dream about how great traffic flows here after a couple days on those streets! Driving approximate distance as a trip from N to S bismarck there could take hours at the wrong time of day...

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Luckily for us this is America, not Sri Lanka, Puerto Rico, Columbia, or wherever the fuck else you can think of. It's not a fair nor accurate comparison. I moved from here years about 6 years ago and i don't miss it one bit, but i do come back often and i echo the traffic light sentiment. It's not the same as it was back then and when you have a good job, kids, and potential second job, things get hectic and time is of the essence.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Mandan west of the refinery. We talked many times at work about Bismarck lights/streets. I could, on a good day make it to work at the USPS on expressway in 15 minutes. My bretheren in north Bismarck living a fourth or half that distance couldn't top that. Those were days when we had to be at work at 6, 6:30 and then 7. Once they moved us to 7:30 or 8 am, no way. Too much traffic. I do know the one way going north (9th) from Main, if you kept it at speed limit starting out from a red light, you made green lights on the go all the way to the capital. Those idiots beating me off the line, I caught up to at the next light. Driving those city streets 6 days a week for 30 years didn't bother me because I was on the clock, earning a living, driving how slow or how fast I could given the traffic/conditions/engineers decisions. If ya'll were on the clock, it would be different. just sayin'

So you are ok wasting time as long as you are getting paid for it on someone else's dime. I have been working and driving in Bismarck for 36 years and never once have I ever not cared about time because someone else was paying the bill.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
All you people complaining about traffic should travel to Sri Lanka for a few weeks, youll dream about how great traffic flows here after a couple days on those streets! Driving approximate distance as a trip from N to S bismarck there could take hours at the wrong time of day...

So what kinda group by from Sri Lanka do you have going?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get very annoyed with traffic in this city. As stated earlier, people not getting into turning lane until last minute, slamming on there breaks before getting into the turning lane, or hanging out halfway in the turning lane. I also can't stand people that do not do the speed limit on major roads, or people that do not turn right at a red light. I really hate the yellow blinking turn signal. What good is it when there is too much traffic to turn? Then the light turns red and you have 3 or 4 people run the red light because they were frustrated with sitting at yellow blinking light for 5 minutes. Or you have a green turn signal that is only green for 15 seconds and 20 vehicles backed up because only 2 or 3 can turn at a time. My lord, I could probably go on and on, but I will stop there. Have a good day people.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Traffic flows smoothly out here in the east.

Of course we're pretty big on education over here - with most people making it through grade school if not secondary education.

Something for you hayseeds to consider.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can drive from one end of town to the other in under 5 minutes any time of day.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargay has 2 interstates running through it. That’s a significant advantage. Any time a city takes a once fast traveled road through or around a city and begins reducing speeds and or putting up traffic lights, it slows everything else down. Traveling to, in and through minot to bismarck is night and day different from 15 years ago.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you are ok wasting time as long as you are getting paid for it on someone else's dime. I have been working and driving in Bismarck for 36 years and never once have I ever not cared about time because someone else was paying the bill.

I don't think I said anything about WASTING someone else's dime. Just took the time it takes and of course as a professional driver, safety was preached to us everyday. so yea! take the time it takes to be safe is what i was told!! We were threatened in losing our job if we were in an accident whether it was our fault or not. So a little precaution on our part is all I'm getting at.

Getting caught speeding in a government vehicle was a no-no also.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84