Gee Loomis...

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The world class rods from Fenwick and most upper St croix rods are any day as good as loomis. I’m not a temple fork fan. JT rods are awesome too!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Indeed.

Rrw1sQK5XhHM.jpeg

Actually prefer a little Blackberry Bird Dog.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorites for casting are my Loomis and JT Black Reign (depends on what I am throwing). Favorite for jigging is another Loomis. Favorite for trolling is the Black Reign Ascendant 8 footer. Now that I am not guiding I break ALOT fewer rods and have switched over from moderately priced rods to more high end. That being said, what makes rode more lite and sensitive also makes them more brittle.... I will continue to buy high end for everything but bobber rods. My next rod purchase will be either a Loomis Conquest or another in the JT line-up.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting to see what everyone likes for "feel". There's a reason there's so many rods available, and it's a great "problem" to have.

3geese4me

Honored Member
I've switched from the Cabelas brand rods to all Fenwick. I'm excited to see how they perform once the ice gets out. Or, I may be able to see about dragging the boat out of storage and hitting the tailrace up.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I totally don't have enough high-end open water rods. I better get another 7'3" JTX to add to the Black reign, two st. croix legend extremes and a couple custom setups. Trolling rods could be a pool cue for all I care.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought Scheels "ONE Titanium" a few years ago. I believe I paid $160 on sale as it's normally $200. First time I spent over a $100 on a rod. I purchased it mainly for using with live bait and light jigs. Combined with a smaller size 20 reel, its a pretty nice setup. If I lost it, I would buy another.

As far as spending $400+ on a rod I would have to try it first to see how much of a difference it makes. Like most products, there is a point of diminishing returns.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a used G-Loomis rap rod and Team Dawai bait cast setup for $200. From a friend who later regretted selling. Not great for raps but most excellent for bottom walkers. Six years later he would like to buy it back. Really easy to hang onto and sensitivity is great.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was in a local sporting goods store a few years ago. Demo was a 20" piece of Stren 6# mono tied to the end eyelet of both a 7' med fast action Fenwick and a Loomis ( don't recall models). You would hold rod at arms length, turn head away from, and the Rep would flick the bottom of the string. Unbelievable, but you could feel it in the Loomis. Very sensitve.
Can't justify the $300+, as I am kinda of a Croix fan, but it was interesting.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All i can say is that i used to have the copper colored G Loomis walleye series in a 6'6 medium light fast tip and it was the best thing since sliced bread. Have not found anything even close to it since. It was worth every penny of the $190 I spent. Snapped it a few years back. Got a replacement but they don't make them anymore. The rod I got said $250 on it and I do not like it buts its also 6'10. I will agree they probably are not what a guy pays but once in awhile you find one that is pure gold.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What made Gloomis great back when Gary still owned the company was that every rod was a lifetime warranty no question asked and also his rods were built to a higher standard. What I mean by that, is all his rods the guides where wrapped on the spine of the rod. I have been to cabelas picked some high end rods from st croix, fenwick, shimano ,and Loomis until you get into the 300 plus rods they are not all built perfectly on the spine. Those 300 plus rods must still be made by a better skilled rod builder.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several fenwicks and they are nothing compared to my old GL2 loomis.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a gl2. Nice n light. Mine broke 35 to send in get another. Have a gloomy bouncer rod for wife she luvs it but now they don't make those anymore.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m just curious. For those who are willing do spend decent money on a rod,($200+) why don’t you try a custom built rod? Lack of availability, not knowing about different blank brands and components? I’m only wondering because I build rods and have done quite a few I’ve sold to others and they are extremely happy with them. I truly think you get more bang for the buck and can get it to meet your exact wants. Or is it just easier to go through the rod rack and compare side by side.
I just would like to know because I’ve thought about having a booth at a sports show but not sure if it would be worth it.
Feedback is appreciated!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason I would buy from the rack rather then the hand made custom is the warranty the peace of mind knowing if an accident happens you can replace it

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m just curious. For those who are willing do spend decent money on a rod,($200+) why don’t you try a custom built rod? Lack of availability, not knowing about different blank brands and components? I’m only wondering because I build rods and have done quite a few I’ve sold to others and they are extremely happy with them. I truly think you get more bang for the buck and can get it to meet your exact wants. Or is it just easier to go through the rod rack and compare side by side.
I just would like to know because I’ve thought about having a booth at a sports show but not sure if it would be worth it.
Feedback is appreciated!

I used to build rods myself. I'm more of a demo derby guy so my end result fit and finish wasn't what I had hoped for and I didn't love doing it so I quit.

I choose high end rods off the rack because I like to feel them in my hands, weight, balance, etc before forking over $200-$400. Although choosing components (guides, handle, etc) is an awesome part of custom rods; those items do not overshadow the "overall feel" for me. Same reason I do not order jeans or pants on-line, not all sizes fit the same just as not all medium moderate St. Croix blanks (used in custom rod building) are not 100% identical.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lack of knowing exactly what the blanks are and how they compare to top of the line over the counter rods is the hangup for me.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately you can’t buy St Croix blanks anymore either with the exception of SC V.
Do you think having some already built and displayed with different blanks would work for some?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66