Gee Loomis...

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
are you really asking $400 for a bass rod?

The recent CabelaPro catalog shows the IMX-Pro Bass Casting Rod from $180 - $420. I'll save up and pay $200 for a good walleye rod but that's about as high as I'd go.

I have to ask, how many of you out there would fork out that kind of money for a bass rod?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
are you really asking $400 for a bass rod?

The recent CabelaPro catalog shows the IMX-Pro Bass Casting Rod from $180 - $420. I'll save up and pay $200 for a good walleye rod but that's about as high as I'd go.

I have to ask, how many of you out there would fork out that kind of money for a bass rod?

Guys easily pay that for walleye rods, what's the difference for bass guys?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is waaaay more money in Bass fishing nationwide. Walleye snobs seem to think they are the only fish that matters, in reality i don't think walleye is even top 5 for game fish pursued in US.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
and a walleye's iq is about 1/3 of what a LM bass has. Gloomis - overrated.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone compare/contrast a rod before Loomis left vs. after Gary Loomis left?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder how many more fish I would catch with a $400 rod versus my $50-$70 rods? Damn it must hurt to slam a G Loomis in the endgate of your pickup.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
you cant beat a good rod, if you pay 300 to 400 hundred dollars for a rod and use it for 5 to 10 years thats not too bad of a cost per year. and pretty sure more fish are caught on cheap rods than spendy rods

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how many more fish I would catch with a $400 rod versus my $50-$70 rods? Damn it must hurt to slam a G Loomis in the endgate of your pickup.

Pitching jigs or fishing like that alot. I was not a believer till i felt the difference my self. Its like optic swaro are they really worth it? Dont look through them to find out because thats all you will want then

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years I've bought several rods from some of the top brands of rod makers, GLoomis, St. Croix, Fenwick, along with some saltwater brands and it's come down to two words for me the more rods I've bought.....Custom Build. I get exactly what I want, how I want it, and with the components I specify. It equals happiness on the water.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time, you get what you pay for. Cheap stuff gets the job done, but spend a little (or a lot) more and it gets it done even better. For me, cheap stuff is good enough. I don't have the means to take care of expensive fishing pole right now. I'd slam it in my door or tailgate right now. Or my kid would bust it. Someday...someday...;)

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was surprised from my first response of the number who suggested I'd know the difference between a good rod and an every day rod. So I went to the Cabela's website to look the rods up and check variety. Cost isn't necessarily an issue for me, until my wife finds out what I spent, but after looking I find that I would have no idea what I'd be most happy with. Is there an actual difference between a bass rod and a walleye rod? What would you recommend for action, length, and lure weight? Would be beneficial to actually fish with one before purchasing and realize that's not an easily accomplished task. Any insight?

As for my wife, if she saw the rod sitting in the boat she'd have no idea how long it's been there or what it cost. Just need to purchase with some other means than a credit card. Cash isn't easily traceable but with so many jobs going to automatic deposit for income, cash isn't as available without a record. Damn computers. Am retired but still work on a variety of odd jobs, work when and where I want now.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eons ago I bought a GL2. It was the cheapest loomis made. Many days on light bites I was catching fish in the boat and nobody else was. They didn’t even feel the bites. That being said that rod cost $120 them. I don’t think you need to spend over $200 now to get just as good a rod. And honestly you don’t need one any better than that.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was surprised from my first response of the number who suggested I'd know the difference between a good rod and an every day rod. So I went to the Cabela's website to look the rods up and check variety. Cost isn't necessarily an issue for me, until my wife finds out what I spent, but after looking I find that I would have no idea what I'd be most happy with. Is there an actual difference between a bass rod and a walleye rod? What would you recommend for action, length, and lure weight? Would be beneficial to actually fish with one before purchasing and realize that's not an easily accomplished task. Any insight?

As for my wife, if she saw the rod sitting in the boat she'd have no idea how long it's been there or what it cost. Just need to purchase with some other means than a credit card. Cash isn't easily traceable but with so many jobs going to automatic deposit for income, cash isn't as available without a record. Damn computers. Am retired but still work on a variety of odd jobs, work when and where I want now.

You need to man up and reclaim your household!!...……(I hope my wife isn't monitoring my posts today)

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You have a point. At the same time peach and tranquility has it's place. Why hit a hornet's nest just to see what will happen? I don't lie to my wife. I will answer her questions truthfully, it's not my fault if she doesn't ask the question. It's like when she asked about a gun of her dad's that I had reconditioned, "Where did you get the scope?" My answer "It's one I had in my gun room." She was fine with the scope as long as it was one that I already had, didn't bother to tell her that I had had it in the gun room for about a week. That was about 20 years ago and the gun still has the scope that was in the gun room. Didn't lie to her, just left out a few details.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years I've bought several rods from some of the top brands of rod makers, GLoomis, St. Croix, Fenwick, along with some saltwater brands and it's come down to two words for me the more rods I've bought.....Custom Build. I get exactly what I want, how I want it, and with the components I specify. It equals happiness on the water.

this!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
At the same time peach and tranquility has it's place.

Indeed.

crp.jpeg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
.......... Damn it must hurt to slam a G Loomis in the endgate of your pickup.

Doesn't hurt at all, you send them the handle and they send you new rod! That is one of the benefits of a Loomis. It's a little like a vortex scope in that regard..........................

What hurts is when you drop it in the lake never to be seen again!!!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shimano owns G-Loomis now anyway. If you a a rod made by Gary Loomis, buy a Temple Fork, cheaper and better!!

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't hurt at all, you send them the handle and they send you new rod! That is one of the benefits of a Loomis. It's a little like a vortex scope in that regard..........................

What hurts is when you drop it in the lake never to be seen again!!!!

Almost true, send it in and they want a $100
and you get a new rod, been there done that.!!

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't have a custom build rod, but have spent too much money on spendy rods. Then I go fishing with my brother and he out fishes me jiggin a zebco 404!! Not kidding!!

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's been a while, it used to be the policy...........Heck, I don't even have a loomis any more (see previous post about "never to be seen again") so much for that I guess. My mixture of scheels, cabellas, browning, st croix, and mics fenwicks in the rod locker probably isn't a bad thing, I have a rod for every skill set that may find their way into my boat, lol. If I look hard, I think there's even a couple 5.5' ugly sticks!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, outside of my St Croix, my go to rods are the various $100 ish Fenwick's. I know they aren’t the most premium rod, but for whatever the reason, they seem to just have the right feel for me!

- - - Updated - - -

Every brand is different but generally, I lean towards a medium fast 6’6” to 7’ spinning rods.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77