PP Handgun- Need some advice

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm finally crossing the bridge into getting a handgun for home/personal protection. The use will be at home locked up in a quick access safe, traveling, and camping in the far reaches. I most often have some sort of firearm available, but not easy access or small. I'm not a fear monger and really have no expectation of ever using it, but with some things that have happened recently I feel I should be better prepared just in case. I have never been incredibly fond of handguns. Not the fault of the handgun itself, I've just seen/encountered too much reckless behavior with them compared to long guns. I have shot them but wouldn't call myself incredibly confident with one.

So, I have narrowed my choices to a few compact handguns. It will really come down to fit but the Springfield XD-S is at the top of the list right now. I am planning to go 9mm. I know there are arguments that PP gun should always start in the .4 caliber range, but I don't want to get into a big discussion on that.

My questions really are-

What sort of training course would you recommend? I'm not really interested in a multi-day affair, just a day to go over the basics. Any organizations put them on that you would recommend? What about any specific courses for those with very little familiarity with guns? I would like my wife to perhaps take something as well.

What would you recommend for a quick access, small handgun safe for home use?

What else would you give for advice?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy 2000 rounds once you have shot them buy another thousand, if you don’t feel confident and proficient by then get a shotgun.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
1) 9mm is perfectly suitable. It’s not just “good enough”, it’s preferable. Anyone who tells you that you need more than 9mm ought to be ignored entirely. Dismiss anything else they say to you.
2) Buy a gun that you and your wife don’t hate to shoot. (See above comment about 9mm.) if you hate shooting it, you won’t. And if you won’t practice with it, or you’re afraid of it, then what’s the point?
3) If it’s a gun you plan to carry on your body, buy something that makes that compromise between being enjoyable to shoot but also ok to carry. If it’s too uncomfortable to carry, you won’t carry it. If you don’t have the gun when you need it, then what’s the point?

XDs in 9mm isn’t a terrible choice. I’d look for something with a few more rounds in the magazine. (It doesn’t matter what the caliber is if you don’t have bullets when you need them. A 9mm gives you greater capacity than .40 or .45, so use the advantage of the smaller cartridge to increase capacity.)

I’m not familiar with any of the outfits that offer training. Wish I could be of more service on that question.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll add this: there are businesses out there that specialize in introductory gun handling for ladies, taught by ladies. It can be very helpful for a woman to talk through using a firearm with another woman. There are a lot of little nuances that guys struggle to recognize and we tend to educate our wives/girlfriends about firearms as though we’re trying to coax a calf to go into the chute. That’s not the way to educate your wife.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a lot of little nuances that guys struggle to recognize and we tend to educate our wives/girlfriends about firearms as though we’re trying to coax a calf to go into the chute. That’s not the way to educate your wife.

If the calf/chute thing isn't working, put new batteries in the cattle-prod. EVERYTHING responds to proper voltage.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I mean, SDMF isn’t wrong here but repeated use tends to lead to trust issues and responses you’re not really looking for.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good options. The Springfield you mention is a good choice. Sig P365 is popular right now. The Sig P938 is another smaller frame that is nice. In Kimber the Micro 9 is a quality handgun. Best to hold them and see what fits. Also look at how they tear down for cleaning.

For storage, I have went with Valutek safes. They work very well. I've got one for myself and each of my daughters have one.
https://vaulteksafe.com/

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm...17 round magazine...easy to shoot...easy to clean...fairly light...good all around 9mm...just my take.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're not concealed carrying, shotgun, all the time, every time.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The main thing to think about is if you skin that smoke wagon, are you prepared to use it?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Forget what all your Buddys say and find something that fits you hand and is easy for YOU to use. Then buy a bunch of ammo and practice, practice and practice, if your wife might be shooting have her practice with it too so she's confident enough to pick it up and use it.

Get some quality hearing and eye protection and USE IT.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig P365 or Sorinfield Hellcat. Both have trigger pull and reset superior to others. Buy yourself some Snap Caps and practice gun handling and trigger pull with them. Like others said buy 1000 rounds and practice.

The thing to concern yourself with is handguns are short which if you don't watch very carefully will result in the muzzle pointing where you don't want it to. It requires a higher level of awareness.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm with SDMF. Shotgun. About a month ago, my wife was sure someone was in the garage (overactive imagination v��). I grabbed a 9mm and headed out to check things out, but found myself wondering why I didn't grab tactical shotgun and load it up with 00 buck. Especially when I wanted to "announce" I holding a firearm.

For home defense scenarios, anyway. Otherwise, I like Springfield.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with SDMF. Shotgun. About a month ago, my wife was sure someone was in the garage (overactive imagination v��). I grabbed a 9mm and headed out to check things out, but found myself wondering why I didn't grab tactical shotgun and load it up with 00 buck. Especially when I wanted to "announce" I holding a firearm.

For home defense scenarios, anyway. Otherwise, I like Springfield.

There’s a saying where I come from: “get both.”

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't argue with BW there. Should have a pistol and a shotgun, "just in case." Plus, several more pistols, shotguns, and rifles. Just in case...

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
1) 9mm is perfectly suitable. It’s not just “good enough”, it’s preferable. Anyone who tells you that you need more than 9mm ought to be ignored entirely. Dismiss anything else they say to you.
2) Buy a gun that you and your wife don’t hate to shoot. (See above comment about 9mm.) if you hate shooting it, you won’t. And if you won’t practice with it, or you’re afraid of it, then what’s the point?
3) If it’s a gun you plan to carry on your body, buy something that makes that compromise between being enjoyable to shoot but also ok to carry. If it’s too uncomfortable to carry, you won’t carry it. If you don’t have the gun when you need it, then what’s the point?

XDs in 9mm isn’t a terrible choice. I’d look for something with a few more rounds in the magazine. (It doesn’t matter what the caliber is if you don’t have bullets when you need them. A 9mm gives you greater capacity than .40 or .45, so use the advantage of the smaller cartridge to increase capacity.)

I’m not familiar with any of the outfits that offer training. Wish I could be of more service on that question.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll add this: there are businesses out there that specialize in introductory gun handling for ladies, taught by ladies. It can be very helpful for a woman to talk through using a firearm with another woman. There are a lot of little nuances that guys struggle to recognize and we tend to educate our wives/girlfriends about firearms as though we’re trying to coax a calf to go into the chute. That’s not the way to educate your wife.

I'll reply to the last paragraph here. One exact business (already mentioned) is Prairie Patriot on the strip in Mandan, owned and run by a gal that had me as a Class 1 CC test taker. Was super impressed with her and her husband's class on CC a few years back. Would go through that training again in a heartbeat if I need to reclassify when license is up. In fact I'm a fairly new handgun owner and should be looking at them for some training as long as they are so close. Take a look at their website as posted above. I believe you can even go in there, rent some of the guns you are interested in buying, move to the range and even live fire them. Test 'em out, if you like you can even purchase a gun or two there. No brainer in my book. They are great people to work with. Oh! and the gal there is even a black belt in some type of self defense. She'll teach ya that too if it is something you are interested in learning. She's very personable, would love your business and passionate about what she does. https://prairiepatriot.com/ [FONT=&quot]701-712-8600[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Prairie Patriot Firearms Try a gun program (from their website):
[FONT=&quot]*PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED*
One of our more popular courses! In this hands-on session you will try a variety of calibers, starting with .22 and working up to .45. Using five pistols and one revolver, students will gain an understanding of the difference of feel of the variety of calibers and grips. This course is an excellent start to assist in your choice of what handgun to purchase. Class size is limited to 5.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Course Fee: $90
Duration: 2+ hours
Class Requirements: Students are required to bring their own eye and ear protection. Should you need these items our store has a variety to choose from to purchase.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To register for this course call Prairie Patriot at 701-712-8600.[/FONT]

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The XD Mod 2 is a great Springfield, with a double stack. Plenty-o-rounds, and not a big print. It's nearly identical to the XDS, but a tish thicker, and holds more. I've enjoyed shooting mine quite a bit.

Also, the G19 is a great workhorse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76