PP Handgun- Need some advice

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good hammerless revolver isn't a bad option either for the ladies or those with limited handgun experience. No safeties to flip, just grab, point, and pull the trigger. Without training, the mind tends to shut down when a "No shieza" situation arises. Hope you find what works for you.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll reply to the last paragraph here. One exact business (already mentioned) is Prairie Patriot on the strip in Mandan, owned and run by a gal that had me as a Class 1 CC test taker. Was super impressed with her and her husband's class on CC a few years back. Would go through that training again in a heartbeat if I need to reclassify when license is up. In fact I'm a fairly new handgun owner and should be looking at them for some training as long as they are so close. Take a look at their website as posted above. I believe you can even go in there, rent some of the guns you are interested in buying, move to the range and even live fire them. Test 'em out, if you like you can even purchase a gun or two there. No brainer in my book. They are great people to work with. Oh! and the gal there is even a black belt in some type of self defense. She'll teach ya that too if it is something you are interested in learning. She's very personable, would love your business and passionate about what she does. https://prairiepatriot.com/ 701-712-8600

- - - Updated - - -

Prairie Patriot Firearms Try a gun program (from their website):
*PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED*
One of our more popular courses! In this hands-on session you will try a variety of calibers, starting with .22 and working up to .45. Using five pistols and one revolver, students will gain an understanding of the difference of feel of the variety of calibers and grips. This course is an excellent start to assist in your choice of what handgun to purchase. Class size is limited to 5.

Course Fee: $90
Duration: 2+ hours
Class Requirements: Students are required to bring their own eye and ear protection. Should you need these items our store has a variety to choose from to purchase.

To register for this course call Prairie Patriot at 701-712-8600.

Just went through a one hour training session with Josette at Prairie Patriot last week and was very impressed with her expertise and professionalism. She has a very nice facility with everything you could need to learn how to handle a firearm. Highly recommend.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good hammerless revolver isn't a bad option either for the ladies or those with limited handgun experience. No safeties to flip, just grab, point, and pull the trigger. Without training, the mind tends to shut down when a "No shieza" situation arises. Hope you find what works for you.

Kimber K6 is an interesting wheel-gun. Also, the Smitty .38 is tried and true.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The main thing to think about is if you skin that smoke wagon, are you prepared to use it?

Oh I think there are many out there who haven't asked themselves this question. I have thought about it a lot!

But, the shotgun in the house is a good idea. Still sorting through the handgun selection, XD Mod 2 or the Sig are at the top of the list right now. Thanks for the input.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shotgun in house is the only way to go in my opinion.
Anyone that has ever been around a slide action shotgun and hears one racking it, should put the fear of God in them! :;:exactly

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there are no children in the house and you and your wife are familiar/comfortable with guns, Im not sure a safe is necessary. Of course it doesnt hurt anything, but thats $$$ that could be spent on more ammo! I would never leave a gun laying out in the open, but its easy enough to mount a holster behind or under a piece of furniture that would work as well or possibly better, depending on the location...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shotguns are great if you respect the problems they also have. For example most people would have the barrel extended forward some. Enter a room that way and it's easy to grab. Many times people will get that shotgun wrapped over their head. Weapons retention is top priority in close encounters.

I like shotguns too, but in confined places I don't even want a long barrel handgun. It depends on the experience of the person your up against and you don't know that when breaking glass wakes you up at 2:00 am. Even with a short barrel don't extend your arms until you identify a target, and then not if it puts your weapon beyond a corner. Keep your weapon arm elbow tucked against your ribs. and ready to strike with your other hand. Also in close quarters a weapon mounted light is better than a laser. Two important things about the light is it lets you identify your target, and disorientes your target.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When talking about shotguns and home invasion, if you hear something and your children are behind you or their room is behind you and the noise is in front of you, let the perp come to you. Don't have to go looking for them usually but one solution doesn't always work either. Most of the time just racking the action of a pump will scare them away. Not always true but quite often. Of course if they are drunk or high toss all common sense out the window and anything goes.
Also our home defense shotgun the barrel is around 19''. Of course we have other "goodies" besides the shotgun also.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shotgun in house is the only way to go in my opinion.
Anyone that has ever been around a slide action shotgun and hears one racking it, should put the fear of God in them! :;:exactly

Too much TV --- The only time the criminal is going to hear that slide is if a second criminal hears it once the first one is falling down.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67