Eurasian Collared Doves

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They're thick at my uncle's place down in Powell, WY. He calls them pigeon doves because they're a lot bigger than mourning doves.

emerald

Established Member
pretty hardee birds, roosting in the same barns, sheds, as the barn pigeons,but they still cant outfly a top gun coopers hawk.:gotone::gotone:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From ND G&F website:

"Migratory birds include all migratory game birds and most birds found in the United States with the exception of the house sparrow, feral pigeon (commonly called rock dove), European starling, Eurasian collared dove, mute swan, and upland game birds, which are protected by state laws. A complete list of protected migratory birds is found in Title 50 Code of Federal Regulations, Section. 10.13."

That at least tells me Eurasian doves aren't federally protected. I highly doubt they are protected by the state.

The only thing that makes me wonder is when I called and asked about shooting chukar in ND because I had come across them several times while hunting pheasants. I asked if I could shoot them. A little different situation, but the guy I talked to said that since they are NOT on the proclamation you can NOT shoot them. This is different in that chukar are not invasive to the united states. They also aren't migratory and those that exist are either directly from game farms/field trials or are descendants of those birds. They have taken hold and flourished in towns like Bismarck just as collared doves have and I see them occasionally elsewhere, presumably close to a game farm or field trial site.

My point is...the Game and Fish may have some sort of unexpected regulations on collared doves outside of the regular dove season so it may be worth checking. The chukar partridge rule caught me off guard. This news may or may not have come a little too late for a couple chukar that may or may not have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From ND G&F website:

"Migratory birds include all migratory game birds and most birds found in the United States with the exception of the house sparrow, feral pigeon (commonly called rock dove), European starling, Eurasian collared dove, mute swan, and upland game birds, which are protected by state laws. A complete list of protected migratory birds is found in Title 50 Code of Federal Regulations, Section. 10.13."

That at least tells me Eurasian doves aren't federally protected. I highly doubt they are protected by the state.

The only thing that makes me wonder is when I called and asked about shooting chukar in ND because I had come across them several times while hunting pheasants. I asked if I could shoot them. A little different situation, but the guy I talked to said that since they are NOT on the proclamation you can NOT shoot them. This is different in that chukar are not invasive to the united states. They also aren't migratory and those that exist are either directly from game farms/field trials or are descendants of those birds. They have taken hold and flourished in towns like Bismarck just as collared doves have.

My point is...the Game and Fish may have some sort of unexpected regulations on collared doves outside of the regular dove season so it may be worth checking. The chukar partridge rule caught me off guard. This news may or may not have come a little too late for a couple chukar that may or may not have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
How "might have" they tasted.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
kind of surprised a G&F rep doesn't weigh in here and educate the masses...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
kind of surprised a G&F rep doesn't weigh in here and educate the masses...

Can't imagine why they haven't...

image_176653.jpeg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
From ND G&F website:

The only thing that makes me wonder is when I called and asked about shooting chukar in ND because I had come across them several times while hunting pheasants. I asked if I could shoot them. A little different situation, but the guy I talked to said that since they are NOT on the proclamation you can NOT shoot them. This is different in that chukar are not invasive to the united states. They also aren't migratory and those that exist are either directly from game farms/field trials or are descendants of those birds. They have taken hold and flourished in towns like Bismarck just as collared doves have and I see them occasionally elsewhere, presumably close to a game farm or field trial site.

If there is no state regulation and the bird isn’t federally protected you should be able to blast away a chukars. You might want to ask that question again to another authority at G&F.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you can shoot starlings year round you should be able to shoot collards as well. They appear to lumped in the same jurisdiction.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana, South Dakota, and even Minnesota recognize that Eurasian collared doves are unworthy of protection and allow year round hunting. Hell, you can shoot chukar, quail, and monk parakeets in MN

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wife hit a chukar with her car one time on Divide Avenue by Sleepy Hollow park. I jumped out of the car and was going to grab it, but it must have just been stunned, because it got up and flew away. I heard they're pretty tasty.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Many years ago NDGF tried to establish chukar in the southern badlands but they didn't take. It is surprising ECD can make through the winters here. I see them at the grain elevator all the time.

emerald

Established Member
so whats the definition of a songbird, birds that sing, or birds that shit on you, sorry old mitt, you sound like one of those swamp croakers,:;:exactlys-l200.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
so whats the definition of a songbird, birds that sing, or birds that shit on you, sorry old mitt, you sound like one of those swamp croakers,:;:exactlyDSC00096.jpg

you’re posts give me Forest Whitaker eye

emerald

Established Member
sorry wags,my bad, old forest, yeah,[with the million dollar droopy eye,] wags, use those computor glasses when reading nodak posts,they might help your eyes, so you dont resemble forrest in the movie, the crying game,unless you liked his catlin jenner girlfreind,this post better?

- - - Updated - - -

wags,fyi, forests conditions is called ptosis,meaning, havent done a fuckin thing all day,wags if your eyelid droops, head to the walk in,it also could be caused by heavy drug use ,e.g. coke

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry wags,my bad, old forest, yeah,[with the million dollar droopy eye,] wags, use those computor glasses when reading nodak posts,they might help your eyes, so you dont resemble forrest in the movie, the crying game,unless you liked his catlin jenner girlfreind,this post better?

- - - Updated - - -

wags,fyi, forests conditions is called ptosis,meaning, havent done a fuckin thing all day,wags if your eyelid droops, head to the walk in,it also could be caused by heavy drug use ,e.g. coke

relax... struggling will only make things harder for everyone

dogpile.jpeg

Last edited:

emerald

Established Member
ha ha spot on,guy, relaxed, just wanted to run with you big dogs, you know, some of the vips,ulti legends,whats the view like?thanks

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76