Locking fish house

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your doing nothing illegal you shouldn’t have to worry about getting checked by a warden.

If you weren’t doing anything illegal would you be upset if a law enforcement agent just walked into your front door of your house without knocking?

Baydoe

In all my years of ice fishing I’ve never had a warden just come barging in my house. They’ve always knocked and asked to enter. One time the warden payed a visit during peak pooping hour. When he knocked I explained the situation and he was kind enough to wait until I came out. He laughed a bit when we had to drink coffee outside for a few minutes with the door open to get some fresh air

ive been checked twice this year... 1 knock and walks right in and says game warden... my dog is not a stranger person and run at him barking and hes mad at me for not even giving me a second before he comes in to hold or restrain her.... it drives me nuts they can't let u come answer the door... i could see if its taking a suspicious amount of time, but if its 5-10 seconds after they knock...

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you weren’t doing anything illegal would you be upset if a law enforcement agent just walked into your front door of your house without knocking?
That sounds like the exact same thing. Or just do like the one guy and blast them as they come through the door. You have to defend yourself. I’ve just never had a problem with a warden. Some of you guys are a little paranoid.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
warden.jpg

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, barging into someone’s shelter comes across as guilty until proven innocent. I jumped into my DeLorean and went back to the 1770’s. The founding fathers agreed. I don’t think anyone here is asking for 10-20 minutes after the warden announces themselves to dump the 10 kilos of Colombian bam bam down the hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Aggressive tactics are not necessary. Not now, not ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Think Goldilocks and the 3 bears. This entry was too hard, this entry was too soft, this entry was just right......

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Entries /places to enter /permission. That all depends on which Miss Goldilocks one encounters. :;:thumbsup

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, barging into someone’s shelter comes across as guilty until proven innocent. I jumped into my DeLorean and went back to the 1770’s. The founding fathers agreed. I don’t think anyone here is asking for 10-20 minutes after the warden announces themselves to dump the 10 kilos of Colombian bam bam down the hole.

- - - UpdatedAggressive tactics are not necessary. Not now, not ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Think Goldilocks and the 3 bears. This entry was too hard, this entry was too soft, this entry was just right......

this.....a million times this

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds like the exact same thing. Or just do like the one guy and blast them as they come through the door. You have to defend yourself. I’ve just never had a problem with a warden. Some of you guys are a little paranoid.

I’ve been checked many times by wardens and never had a problem, but I’ve been lucky to only encounter wardens who have acted with common sense and we each respected each other and there were no problems. Not wanting someone on a power trip to come in hot with no regards for the way these situations should be handled doesn’t make me paranoid or mean that I’m “blasting” away as they enter my property

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
my old collapsible had a spring loaded door with no knob, gave me a moment to put my ding dong away while the warden figured it out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a fish house on a lake in SD and got checked quite a few times. The guy would walk out from shore, think he lived there. Would knock before coming in and would have a beer with us or two. Think he used us to get away from the old lady cause it would be later in the evening when our lights were on. They are not all bad.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
In MN the warden needs to be granted permission to come in. What about in ND? - does the warden need permission to enter or can they simply invite themselves in or not?

I dont have anything to hide, however, do agree that the warden should not be allowed to walk right into a fishhouse/portable without permission to enter. If im in the middle of reeling in a fish Im not going to stop to unzip/lift the portable door or opening the door to the house until Im done..

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess i am not certain of any specific case on this and could look. but, i just assumed north dakota would have or had followed minnesota's lead on this and recognized an expectation of privacy in a fish house. which means you would be allowed to look the door and a game warden can't just barge right in.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess i am not certain of any specific case on this and could look. but, i just assumed north dakota would have or had followed minnesota's lead on this and recognized an expectation of privacy in a fish house. which means you would be allowed to look the door and a game warden can't just barge right in.

From what I have gathered they can barge in anytime here in ND.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never had a bad encounter with any of the Wardens, actually just the opposite. I have always been respected, and paid it back as well. They have always said something or asked before entering. I have seen the jump off a snowmobile and check quick, but then away they go, head to the trailer, load up and go to another lake. They have a lot of ground to cover, and of course have to deal with a few asses along the way I am sure.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had one zip down the portable and step in - - first thing he went after is where did you get those minnows. Wanting a recpt -- i told him i dont where the recpt is -- talked to him a little while and got him to settle down on the issue.

Beer bottle - were out pheasant hunting --- end of the day - we had put stuff away and one our group was having a cold one. The guns were in cases, he could clearly see we had our limit and the guy with the bottle didnt own any of the trucks, he went off on the guy and the rest of us. Its like buddy -- he can have a beer - especially on private property.

Most of my experiences have been good.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
"When in use, fish houses must be open for inspection at all times and hooks on doors are illegal"

This is what the proclamation says. Seems pretty open ended.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been checked about 30-40 times over the years. Only two of the 30-40 seemed like they watched too many episodes of Northwoods Law. They were both Napoleon complex little guys.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been checked about 30-40 times over the years. Only two of the 30-40 seemed like they watched too many episodes of Northwoods Law. They were both Napoleon complex little guys.

Game Wawden! As they jump out in full gillie suits and combat boots

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day when we lived in NoDak we hunted locally and in the Badlands quite a bit. Been checked out there a few times and always treated very nicely and we treated them the same.
Our local game warden was a longtime family friend and a great guy. He would stop over when in the area just to BS and see what was happening. Had a neighbor tell me once that "you think he is your friend but i bet he would write you a ticket in a heartbeat". I told him if he would write me a ticket then i must deserve one. Would never expect a friendship to stop one from doing their job. I said the same thing when i was on the boards local and state, i said to people if you ever come before us the friendship ends at the door as i have a job to do and i will do it the way it is supposed to be done. To this day i expect the same treatment.
Too many complaints about law enforcement and game wardens, some are justified but many are just mad that they got caught doing something illegal.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Everyone knows the law, If you don't like it quit ice fishing. Its that simple.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76