Antler drop

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hadn't really seen a "buck" in quite a while, so assumed most had dropped their antlers by now. Was surprised today by a deer parade through my yard between 5:00 and 6:00 PM. 20+ deer passed in each direction, stopping to nibble on this or that. Spotted a 4x4 amongst the group, then saw a spike. Later spotted a 3x3, and what looked to be a different 4x4. Getting darker by this point, so not sure it was a different one than the first, but antlers looked smaller. Seeing that many paired antlers makes me think there aren't a lot of sheds out there yet.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fun to watch. So much corn still standing in my area that deer did not move to their normal winter grounds. Wife has to run bumper deer every morning on her way to work and every night on the way home, sunrise and sunset. Deer are in real good shape. Expect a good fawn crop this spring and yote numbers are down some.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a bull moose the other day that still had its antlers, Thought they shed earlier then deer. Some years I've seen deer with antlers into April.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a few so far. I'd say I've seen roughly half have dropped.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also had assumed most had dropped until last weekend for some reason I saw a lot of bucks still holding. A few had dropped one side but those were all dinks.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Latest I've ever seen was the first week of may, little forker.
Deer numbers around our area are terrible. You knew they would be, they were bad last winter yet they gave out even more tags. Makes you wonder sometimes.
Check out these bases, imagine finding his sheds!
FB_IMG_1581052629264.jpg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Son has found eight while not looking that much at plots.
However did spend some time looking for the other side of one of the bigger 5 point bucks and did find.
It seems more still have than those that have lost.
Plans is still, besides home, a trip to the badlands, western SK and nothern SK in Canada this spring. Retire so have time on my hand. db

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not dropping at this point is a good sign for your deer herd. If they're still holding on to them, they're clearly not feeling much stress so that bodes well for them surviving winter.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Outside of the RR valley region, I don't think many places can complain about the winter, considering both snow fall as well as temp. Assuming we crawl out of this one without a huge deep freeze and/or snowpocolypse 2020, I think the heard will be in excellent shape. Plenty of horns still on the head up here. Gonna wait until at least April 1 before I start looking. No sense in checking the same places twice. Looking forward to it though.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most deer here are in standing corn fields. Farmers might lose a few combine tires come spring if they fall off right side up.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep standing corn will have quite a few antlers and won't be good for combine, tractor, or grain buggy tires.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Outside of the RR valley region, I don't think many places can complain about the winter, considering both snow fall as well as temp. Assuming we crawl out of this one without a huge deep freeze and/or snowpocolypse 2020, I think the heard will be in excellent shape. Plenty of horns still on the head up here. Gonna wait until at least April 1 before I start looking. No sense in checking the same places twice. Looking forward to it though.

Apparently you haven't been in the James River valley region this winter.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently you haven't been in the James River valley region this winter.
True, but I guess I was incorporating the James River when saying Red River, my bad. I have relatives in the area down there and have seen some pictures. It's crazy, no doubt.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The few warm days we had last week around Jamestown cleared some hilltops of snow. I had rotator cuff surgery two weeks ago and this morning was my first ride around the countryside. Two hour and we seen about 200 deer out of the corn and on the bare spots. A group of about 80 were close enough to glass with the binocs. Not many antlers. A couple of 4x4 in the 125 class. Three smaller bucks and one small 4x? with the right side dropped.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 bucks on camera as of last Friday that still have horns on. A 2x2 and two 4x4's. Seems late but the pics don't lie. Any one else seeing horns yet?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still some hanging on in the Bismarck/Mandan area. Was out yesterday and saw at least 4 bucks with both antlers. Also saw a giant right by my house on Friday morning. I'd love to find his sheds.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Son found a bigger than normal moose horn but it was lasts year and it took him 15 minutes to dig out of the ground. Does look good. Friday go to badlands so hope they have all drop and will send a picture if we find one. db

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Son found a bigger than normal moose horn but it was lasts year and it took him 15 minutes to dig out of the ground. Does look good. Friday go to badlands so hope they have all drop and will send a picture if we find one. db

walking?

or driving around established roads in pickup, sxs, etc.?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75