20.1-05.1-02. Discretionary special allocation hunting license authorization

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
(My thoughts on some things pertaining to this are at the bottom, please read and comment at will)

Under North Dakota Law: 20.1-05.1-02. Discretionary special allocation hunting license authorization; each year two Elk, two moose, two antelope and 10 white tail deer tags are allocated each year for non-profit organizations restricted to meeting 501 c(3) criteria (other non-profits as 501 c(4) or 501 c(7) cannot apply) to apply for and are awarded to the organization so they can auction or raffle each year. This year’s winners are:

DEER
BURLINGTON RECREATION INC
DEER
CAPITAL VOLLEYBALL CLUB
DEER
DOWNTOWN DEVILS LAKE ALLIANCE
DEER
FORT RANSOM SPORTSMAN'S CLUB
DEER
MISSOURI RIVER CLAY TARGET LEAGUE
DEER
MSA UNITED WAY
DEER
ND NATURAL RESOURCES CONSERVATION TRUST
DEER
NORTH DAKOTA FISHING HALL OF FAME
DEER
RANSOM COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
DEER
WEST FARGO HOCKEY ASSOCIATION
ELK
MANDAN HOCKEY CLUB INC
ELK
RED RIVER VALLEY COMMUNITY ACTION
MOOSE
DELTA WATERFOWL FOUNDATION
MOOSE
FAMILY CRISIS SHELTER
PRONGHORN
NORTH DAKOTA BOWHUNTERS FOUNDATION
PRONGHORN
PHEASANTS FOREVER INC
UNSUCCESSFUL
1400S
UNSUCCESSFUL
ALEXANDER COMETS YOUTH WRESTLING
UNSUCCESSFUL
BACKCOUNTRY HUNTERS AND ANGLERS
UNSUCCESSFUL
BERTHOLD SPORTSMEN CLUB INC
UNSUCCESSFUL
BISHOP RYAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL
UNSUCCESSFUL
BISHOP RYAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
BWP SKI TEAM
UNSUCCESSFUL
CHI ST ALEXIUS HEALTH DEVILS LAKE FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
DAKOTA WEST ARTS COUNCIL
UNSUCCESSFUL
DSU HERITAGE FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
FARGO AIR MUSEUM
UNSUCCESSFUL
FOUR CORNERS WILDLIFE CLUB
UNSUCCESSFUL
GRAFTON VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPT
UNSUCCESSFUL
GRAND FORKS VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK COMMITTEE
UNSUCCESSFUL
HOMETOWN HERO OUTDOORS
UNSUCCESSFUL
HOPE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
UNSUCCESSFUL
LAKOTA FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
UNSUCCESSFUL
LITTLE FLOWER SCHOOL
UNSUCCESSFUL
MAKE-A-WISH NORTH DAKOTA
UNSUCCESSFUL
NORTH DAKOTA CONSERVATION DISTRICTS EMPLOYEES ASSO
UNSUCCESSFUL
NORTH DAKOTA DUCKS UNLIMITED
UNSUCCESSFUL
NORTH DAKOTA STATE FAIR FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
OUR REDEEMER'S CHRISTIAN EDUCATION FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
PEMBINA COUNTY ANNUAL FAIR & EXHIBITION ASSOC
UNSUCCESSFUL
RED RIVER AREA SPORTSMEN'S CLUB
UNSUCCESSFUL
RED RIVER VALLEY NAVHDA
UNSUCCESSFUL
RIDING FOR DREAMS
UNSUCCESSFUL
ROUGH RIDER SNOWMOBILE ASSN INC
UNSUCCESSFUL
RUGBY FFA FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
SHINE
UNSUCCESSFUL
STANLEY SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS INC
UNSUCCESSFUL
TETON BOOSTER CLUB
UNSUCCESSFUL
THE NRA FOUNDATION INC
UNSUCCESSFUL
VALLEY CITY STATE UNIVERSITY
UNSUCCESSFUL
VELVA SADDLE CLUB
UNSUCCESSFUL
VELVA WILDLIFE CLUB
UNSUCCESSFUL
VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER
UNSUCCESSFUL
WATFORD CITY POLICE FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFUL
WILLISTON BASIN SKATING CLUB

Now for some of my thoughts on this process:

Did you know that non-residents can be awarded these tags – emphasizing the Elk and Moose tags because they are resident only tags for the state resident general lottery. One cannot win a tag and draw one in the lottery during the same year – which would pertain to a resident – but one could, being a non resident, win a tag every year by winning the Auction or Raffle that the stated organizations offer. This gives a different meaning to “pay hunting” in my book! Should this be allowed? Moreover, this does not count towards anyone’s once in a lifetime for either residents, and, well, non-residents. Is this right? I seldom hear of “when” any of these tags are being offered to the public for a fair chance to participate in a raffle or auction with no restrictions in access or opportunity for chances to win one of these tags. Feel free to comment as I believe several things with this law need to be tweaked and changed for the betterment of North Dakota and its residents! I have several letters from the NDGF that I wrote to them about this matter and will share with anyone wanting to view them. I also have in excel form all applicants, winners, and monetary amounts since this has been held the past few years.

The way I honestly feel about it is that I have never drawn a tag for either Moose or Elk so I have had no opportunity to hunt them being a resident let alone having multiple opportunities and not being a resident!

Honkerherms
Jeff

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It goes to a good cause so I don’t mind especially for how much some of these tags go for. It don’t think it hurts the rest of us much to give a few of these away each year. Lots of other states do this like WY.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many of these are open to the public
I'm sure you have to join the organization in order to get a ticket.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can any 501(c)(3) apply for this?

Thank You

Yes, as long as you meet the criteria stated in the Century Code:

5. For purposes of this section, "eligible organization" means an organization that: a. Is exempt from federal income taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code [26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3)] and provides with its application a copy of the letter from the internal revenue service to that effect.
Page No. 3
b. Is on file as a nonprofit corporation in good standing in the office of the secretary of state. c. Agrees in its application to contribute at least ten percent of the net proceeds of any raffle of a license under this section to a conservation-related project to be conducted in this state and approved by the director. d. Is not the recipient of a special allocation hunting license under section 20.1-05.1-01

Link to Application, January 1st of the year the license is to be issued is cutoff on App: https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/licensing/docs/special-allocation-lottery-application.pdf

Century Code Link: https://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t20-1c05-1.pdf#nameddest=20p1-05p1-02

Last edited:

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you know that non-residents can be awarded these tags – emphasizing the Elk and Moose tags because they are resident only tags for the state resident general lottery. Yes, and if RRVCA or Family Crisis Shelter makes $50k off a non-resident winning their elk or moose tag, I'm cool with that. These community groups are so underfunded and dependent on donations for the vital work they do, I could care less. The others are youth sports/conservation/sportsman groups, and I'm always for that, especially as the money stays local in most cases!

One cannot win a tag and draw one in the lottery during the same year – which would pertain to a resident – but one could, being a non resident, win a tag every year by winning the Auction or Raffle that the stated organizations offer. This statement is false for deer, and I confirmed it with G&F last year. You can still keep the SA tag, and if you draw a rifle tag, you can use the rifle tag in rifle season, you just can't take two bucks in rifle season, so you can use the SA tag for muzzleloader. Now if you draw a rifle and an ML tag, that I don't know...but those odds are low too. (Also, good luck winning a tag via SA raffle/auction every year. Unless you're buying out all the chances or bidding at every auction and the same groups get it each year and only do auctions, but that's reductio ad absurdum for that argument to fly)

This gives a different meaning to “pay hunting” in my book! Don't equate "pay hunting" - as in hiring a guide - with this process. It's not like these raffle entrants are paying the money to an outfitter or a lease - in fact, they're paying a 501(c)3 charity, oftentimes a conservation group - which is about 180 degrees from those things.

Should this be allowed? Yes. For all of the great things and a shot in the arm that these funds can be for these community groups and organizations, hell yes. I look at how it helped grow MR CTL last year from 200 to 400 kids shooting trap at reduced rates. Hell. Freaking. Yes.

Moreover, this does not count towards anyone’s once in a lifetime for either residents, and, well, non-residents. Is this right?
This I don't know, you'll have to check with licensing at the G&F.

I seldom hear of “when” any of these tags are being offered to the public for a fair chance to participate in a raffle or auction with no restrictions in access or opportunity for chances to win one of these tags. I posted it and bumped our raffle on this very site last year, sorry if you missed it, but an ND resident did win the deer tag.
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/13541-MR-CTL-Buck-Tag-Raffle?highlight=Raffle

The ends in this program are more than justified. If a couple of guys are ticked that some NR won an elk tag in a raffle or bought a moose tag at an auction, but 16 groups raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to better ND communities and conservation - and at least 10% of that goes to shooting sports or conservation projects no matter what - well, every sportsman should all be able to live with that.

The MR CTL raffle should be up by Mar. 1! I'll post it here so you all can get in and beat the NRs to the tag. I promise not to sell (m)any to my MN friends
- and no, you don't have to have a kid shooting in the league to buy a ticket, 1lessdog. :)

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of these are open to the public
I'm sure you have to join the organization in order to get a ticket.
You don’t need to join the organization. Just buy a ticket from anyone selling them. I’m sure now that you know which organizations have tags to raffle you buy a ticket from them all. A friend if mine contacted me last night about the Mandan hockey club raffle for the elk tag. I bought 5 tickets. It’s that easy.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you know that non-residents can be awarded these tags – emphasizing the Elk and Moose tags because they are resident only tags for the state resident general lottery. Yes, and if RRVCA or Family Crisis Shelter makes $50k off a non-resident winning their elk or moose tag, I'm cool with that. These community groups are so underfunded and dependent on donations for the vital work they do, I could care less. The others are youth sports/conservation/sportsman groups, and I'm always for that, especially as the money stays local in most cases!

I do not care which organization gets these tags, or if they make a fortune auctioning/raffling them off -- heh, one has to be careful with tax protocols and the amount of money made by 501 c organizations under IRS statutes. What I do care about is a resident only hunting season for Elk and Moose that is sidestepped for a non-resident to get a tag! Residents First! Oh, I wonder with some organizations -- "in most cases" -- how much of that money really does stay local? Moreover, things need to be changed so 501 c(4) and 501 c(7) organizations will be able to apply for these! Discrimination is a terrible thing -- wouldn't you agree!

One cannot win a tag and draw one in the lottery during the same year – which would pertain to a resident – but one could, being a non resident, win a tag every year by winning the Auction or Raffle that the stated organizations offer. This statement is false for deer, and I confirmed it with G&F last year. You can still keep the SA tag, and if you draw a rifle tag, you can use the rifle tag in rifle season, you just can't take two bucks in rifle season, so you can use the SA tag for muzzleloader. Now if you draw a rifle and an ML tag, that I don't know...but those odds are low too. (Also, good luck winning a tag via SA raffle/auction every year. Unless you're buying out all the chances or bidding at every auction and the same groups get it each year and only do auctions, but that's reductio ad absurdum for that argument to fly)

Deer tags are already available to non-residents in the general lottery! They really do not concern me lawyer man! But, the opportunity does exist for someone to do this each year winning an Elk or Moose Tag, and I realize this is only for two tags of each species creating a very low probability -- but the opportunity does exist!

This gives a different meaning to “pay hunting” in my book! Don't equate "pay hunting" - as in hiring a guide - with this process. It's not like these raffle entrants are paying the money to an outfitter or a lease - in fact, they're paying a 501(c)3 charity, oftentimes a conservation group - which is about 180 degrees from those things.

It is pay hunting as you are acquiring something not available during a regular season -- as if hunting a private club but at tax payer expense! Again, it is only for a couple Elk and Moose Tags no biggie right!

Should this be allowed? Yes. For all of the great things and a shot in the arm that these funds can be for these community groups and organizations, hell yes. I look at how it helped grow MR CTL last year from 200 to 400 kids shooting trap at reduced rates. Hell. Freaking. Yes.

I don't agree that non-residents should have a shot at a Moose or Elk Tag. Impressive that you made $39,800 out of 1990 tickets sold with 10 not sold, $6053 in expenses having a net of $33,747.40 for Missouri River Clay Target League last year...good for you. Hell of a deer tag sale! It states shooting range management for your 10% what entity or who's conservation program is that?

Moreover, this does not count towards anyone’s once in a lifetime for either residents, and, well, non-residents. Is this right?
This I don't know, you'll have to check with licensing at the G&F.

I have checked with the G&F writing numerous letters about my concerns to Scott P. They do not count towards resident Elk or Moose tag restrictions for being awarded one -- you can do it over and over and over and over again for both residents and non-residents, but it is only for two tags for Elk and Moose right!

I seldom hear of “when” any of these tags are being offered to the public for a fair chance to participate in a raffle or auction with no restrictions in access or opportunity for chances to win one of these tags. I posted it and bumped our raffle on this very site last year, sorry if you missed it, but an ND resident did win the deer tag.
https://nodakangler.com/forums/threads/13541-MR-CTL-Buck-Tag-Raffle?highlight=Raffle

Good, I am glad you advertised it, and yes I did miss you posting it last year! Again, white tail deer tags are available to non-residents during the regular lottery tag draw every year -- Moose and Elk are not, but again it is only a couple tags of each -- right!

The ends in this program are more than justified. If a couple of guys are ticked that some NR won an elk tag in a raffle or bought a moose tag at an auction, but 16 groups raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to better ND communities and conservation - and at least 10% of that goes to shooting sports or conservation projects no matter what - well, every sportsman should all be able to live with that.

I added it up all totals = Gross, $216,479; expenses, $21,267; and Net(includes 10% conservation), $195,282 for last year's totals.

The MR CTL raffle should be up by Mar. 1! I'll post it here so you all can get in and beat the NRs to the tag. I promise not to sell (m)any to my MN friends
- and no, you don't have to have a kid shooting in the league to buy a ticket, 1lessdog. :)

Your Choices -- not mine. Below will be last years apps and winners.

- - - Updated - - -

DEERBURLINGTON RECREATION COMMISSION
DEERSHILOH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
DEERMISSOURI RIVER CLAY TARGET LEAGUE
DEERBOTTINEAU COUNTY FOOD PANTRY
DEERVALLEY CITY STATE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION
DEERAX BOOSTER CLUB
DEERDELTA WATERFOWL FOUNDATION
DEEREMERADO VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
DEERHOLE-IN-ONE FOUNDATION
DEERSPORTING CHANCE
ELKBWP SKI TEAM
ELKHILL TOP HERITAGE FOUNDATION INC
MOOSEOUR REDEEMER'S LUTHERAN FOUNDATION INC
MOOSEND BOWHUNTERS FOUNDATION
PRONGHORNGYMAGIC GYMNASTICS
PRONGHORNND CONSERVATION DISTRICTS EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULBUTTE AREA FIREFIGHTERS ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULVELVA WILDLIFE CLUB
UNSUCCESSFULCAPITAL CITY YOUNG GUNS INC
UNSUCCESSFULGRAFTON VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
UNSUCCESSFULVOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER
UNSUCCESSFULDUCKS UNLIMITED
UNSUCCESSFULFAMILY CRISIS SHELTER
UNSUCCESSFULBERTHOLD SPORTSMEN CLUB INC
UNSUCCESSFULSHEPHERD'S HILL RETREATS, INC
UNSUCCESSFULHARWOOD BASEBALL
UNSUCCESSFULRICHLAND COUNTY PHEASANTS INC
UNSUCCESSFULBETTER LIVING FOR GARRISON
UNSUCCESSFULTETON BOOSTER CLUB
UNSUCCESSFULND FUR HUNTERS AND TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULPRAIRIE GRIT ADAPTIVE SPORTS
UNSUCCESSFULGRAND FORKS VETERANS MEMORIAL PARK
UNSUCCESSFULMADDOCK OPERA HOUSE ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULPHEASANTS FOREVER INC
UNSUCCESSFULWILLISTON SEA LIONS INC

- - - Updated - - -

DEEREMERADO RURAL VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT INC
DEERAX BOOSTER CLUB
DEERWATFORD CITY POLICE FOUNDATION
DEEROUR REDEEMER'S LUTHERAN FOUNDATION
DEERBETTER LIVING FOR GARRISON
DEERSHILOH CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
DEERCAPITAL CITY YOUNG GUNS
DEERDELTA WATERFOWL FOUNDATION
DEERVETERANS OUTDOORS ADVENTURES ND
DEERMAYVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION
ELKWILLISTON TRINITY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
ELKWEST FARGO HOCKEY ASSOCIATION
MOOSECROSBY BLUE LINE CLUB
MOOSETIOGA FIRE DEPARTMENT
PRONGHORNMAKE-A-WISH FOUNDATION OF NORTH DAKOTA
PRONGHORNSTUTSMAN COUNTY WILDLIFE FEDERATION
UNSUCCESSFULSHEPHERD'S HILL RETREATS INC
UNSUCCESSFULBURLINGTON RECREATION COMMISSION
UNSUCCESSFULBOTTINEAU FOOD PANTRY
UNSUCCESSFULPHEASANTS FOREVER INC
UNSUCCESSFULFAMILY VOICES OF NORTH DAKOTA INC
UNSUCCESSFULND FUR HUNTERS & TRAPPERS ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULCASSELTON YOUTH BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
UNSUCCESSFULALPHA OPPORTUNITIES INC
UNSUCCESSFULMINOT HOCKEY BOOSTERS INC
UNSUCCESSFULBERTHOLD SPORTSMEN CLUB INC
UNSUCCESSFULCOMPANIONS FOR CHILDREN
UNSUCCESSFULDUCKS UNLIMITED
UNSUCCESSFULPHEASANTS FOR THE FUTURE
UNSUCCESSFULVELVA WILDLIFE CLUB
UNSUCCESSFULNORTHERN PLAINS CHILDREN'S ADVOCACY CENTER
UNSUCCESSFULTWIST OF FATE
UNSUCCESSFULFRIENDS OF THE SOURIS LOOP REFUGES
UNSUCCESSFULUNION SPORTSMEN'S ALLIANCE
UNSUCCESSFULHARWOOD BASEBALL
UNSUCCESSFULRED RIVER VALLEY NAVHDA INC
UNSUCCESSFULNDBA BOWHUNTERS FOUNDATION
UNSUCCESSFULGRAFTON BOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT

- - - Updated - - -

2/7/2020

Organization
Tag Type
Gross Income
Expenses
Net Income

BWP Ski Team
E
$56,595.09
$10,051.05
$46,514.04
Hilltop Heritage Foundation
E
$27,200.00
$0.00
$27,200.00
ND Bowhunters Foundation
M
$25,000.00
$140
$24,859.54
Our Redeemer's Lutheran Foundation Inc
M
$10,000.00
$0
$10,000.00
Gymagic Gymnastics
P
$3,810.00
$0
$3,810.00
ND Conservation Districts Employees Assn
P
$9,380.00
$1,028.57
$8,451.43
Ax Booster Club
W
$2,000.00
$1
$1,999.00
Bottineau Country Food Pantry
W
$3,520.00
$207
$3,312.80
Burlington Recreation Commission
W
$10,000.00
$2,506
$7,493.80
Delta Waterfowl Foundation
W
$17,000.00
$0.00
$17,000.00
Emerado Volunteer Fire Dept
W
$3,960.00
$303
$3,657.34
Hole-In-One Foundation
W
$4,329.00
$848
$3,480.83
Missouri River Clay Target League
W
$39,800.00
$6,053
$33,747.40
Shiloh Christian School
W
$250.00
$0
$250.00
Sporting Chance
W
$635.00
$129.37
$505.73
Valley City State University Foundation
W
$3,000.00
$0
$3,000.00

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you fuckin serious Honker? If you wanna go elk hunting, research an area in a western state and go there as a non resident. It can be done for under $1k. Work some overtime, sell some stuff, give up a different hobby for awhile etc. if you don’t have the $$. Don’t play the ‘it’s not affordable card.’ Lots of ND residents will never draw an elk or moose tag, most realize that and don’t mind a couple tags going to a good cause. But to post a list of non profits that receive a couple tags and then blame non residents for you not drawing a very hard to draw tag... you need to have your head examined...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or you can buy a quarter section in elk country and possibly draw a tag every year. The good old gratis scam......

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You’re reaching on this one and it really wreaks of greed. The positive purpose (nonprofit and conservation fundraising above the draw income) has been pretty well laid out above. I guess if you put your 0.05% increase in odds (or whatever insignificant number adding two tags to the resident draw is) above that, well then you do you.

I love raffle governor tags. The odds are often better than the state draw and usually the price per odds is significantly better! I get in on several of these a year. I’ll be contacting them moose raffles for sure so thanks for the heads up!

i’m a very active member in our resident hunter group up here, Resident Hunters of Alaska (RHAK). I am a firm believer in residence preference for hunting; however I don’t think nonresidents should ever be completely blacklisted from hunting a species such as moose in ND. It is a very slippery slope. And ya it bugs the shit out of me that every year I watch Chugach sheep tags being auctioned off for $200K when there are only a total of 20 tags given, but the reality is if I didn’t draw one of the 20 tags, I wouldn’t have drawn one of 21. Match that $200K with P-R funds and that’s big time cash for sheep research and I can blow out the candles on my pitty party.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
wjschmaltz could have stopped after that first sentence. That's enough for me.

If you want to hunt elk in ND, apply for a cow tag, you won't have to wait long.

dustit

My two cents is that these tags and the money they generate is good for organizations that support ND hunting and conservation.

That being said the first organization that came to mind that I would consider questionable is NDFB. See link below if questioning 501 c3 status.I'm sure there are many other orgs out there in the >5000 registered 501 c3 that the typical ND hunter would question their support and intention for ND hunting and conservation (i.e. human societies, PETA, NDFU, etc.).

https://alma.app/charities/223861704-north-dakota-farm-bureau-foundation
https://ndfb.org/image/cache/foundationbookletlow.pdf

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll chalk this one up to "Cabin Fever" and keep my two cents in my pocket. I'd only be agreeing with previous thoughts anyway. Give me a shout Honker and roll on over to the house. I'll put a cold beer or a good stiff drink in your hand. We can both probably use it anyway. Winter still SUCKS!!!!!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with many of you guys, njsimonson did the best on answering everything. If there is any kind of beef as far as tags being released it can maybe be one organization being allowed over another but I'm guessing it is a lottery draw. If you want a shot at these tags and the list is public why don't you contact each organization that has the tag you want and either purchase raffle tickets for an opportunity or make sure you attend an auction tag and bid bid bid to your hearts content. At least then you would probably be giving money that will be put to good use and you would have your tag and get your wish to keep outsiders away from your state resources.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally love that organizations get opportunities to get tags that they can raffle/auction off. Its a great way for them to get some much needed funds to help out families in need, help pay for kids sports programs, or to help preserve the hunting/fishing heritage in this state. Do you really think that them taking 10 deer tags and 2 tags each for elk, moose, and antelope decreased your odds of drawing a tag that much? Keep it up NDGF! You are doing a great thing.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, you must understand that I am all for these tags, it is I feel some of the principles of the statute need to be tweaked. And one must understand that it should be fair for other non-profits -- example 501 c(4) or 501 c(7) IRS designations -- that some fishing/outdoor and conservation organizations from North Dakota are designated be able to apply for these as the state statute now states only 501 c(3) can apply. The money raised can help some of these organizations immensely -- others not so much, look at the list who applied! What if PETA applied?

Until someone convinces me that it is right that non-residents can have the opportunity to receive a Moose or Elk tag through this raffle or Auction process -- when they cannot apply through the general lottery -- for such a tag, it will remain my opinion that it is wrong. Even though it is only for some four tags -- principle is principle!

Unless your a winner at raffle or auction, most of us only will get one opportunity to apply for these coveted Moose and/or Elk tags in the general lottery. Yes year after year unless successful, and I totally understand putting in for a Cow Moose or Elk tag are a lot more easily attainable by lottery than horned tags! I know numerous friends who do this now to obtain a cow tag. Moreover, the general lottery has no bearing on these raffle/auction tags -- only populations of either can affect the way it is set up as of now.

I also totally understand that these tags have no bearing on the lessening of one's luck to be able to draw one. They are two entirely separate things with the general lottery what it is, and statues [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]20.1-05.1-01/[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]20.1-05.1-02 what they are.[/FONT] Unless the populations of such said species significantly falls, they will always be available every year to organizations eligible under state statute. But I also believe that one chance at either Moose or Elk is more than enough for anyone in my book for North Dakota -- whether it be general lottery luck or raffle/auction winner.

Honkerherms
Jeff

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Now wouldn't that be some interesting ammo to fight PETA?

PETA PROMOTES HUNTING OF ANIMALS TO RAISE MONEY TO PAY THEIR STAFF!!!

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Come on up to Minot next Friday Jeff and you could be the proud owner of that Delta moose tag. :cool: Just don't forget your checkbook and some of your jerky.

The real tragedy of this whole thing the last few years..is how Shiloh christian sold their WT tag for only $250.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79