Lake contour maps.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to upload an app that show me the depths and contours where I am standing on the lake, sakakawea specifically. Preferably free, what are you all using?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish Explorer/Arc GIS app now has Sak contours. Not sure how precise they are, but they look decent. The nice thing about the app is it also has some of the smaller lakes that my lakemaster doesn't.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Navionics or ARC GIS. ARC GIS has all lake maps from Game Fish. It will also show you public hunting land.

Once you download the app, in the search function either enter lake maps, or plots.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I downloaded Explorer for ArcGis, searched for Lake Sakakawea, first result was "2016 Proposed Lake Sakakawea", which would not open. the map details shows the owner as tsandstrom, lol The next result was USACE Lake Sakakawea Ice Access" which did not have contours.... Could I have downloaded the wrong app?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
search NDGF lake contours in the app, its an interactive map for the whole state.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Navionics on my phone is well worth the $15/year, but i also use the explorer app by arc/gis as a backup.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
search NDGF lake contours in the app, its an interactive map for the whole state.

That got me to what I was looking for, thanks. Now just need parts for the auger, put the wheeler back together, mod the sled, and do minnow maintenance... lol, the list never ends

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Navionics chip in my Lowrance on the boat, but pay for the Fish Smart/Hummingbird app on my phone for the Lakemaster map...so I can compare the two. I've found Navionics is pretty spot on for Audubon and Darling, but leaves a lot to be desired on Sak. 99.9% of my fishing is done on Audubon and Sak...so between the two maps I'm covered.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Another vote for the ArcGIS Explorer app. Free and you can download whatever maps you want to use. Seems to work well for me and even has most of the small lakes in my area.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
id have to check my hummingbird out, but the maps on there are pretty spot on, just minus 12ft for ice fishing

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a decent map on my lowrance, I'm talking about a. App on my phone for ice fishing. I seen on TV this morning that NDGF has updated their apps. I hate apps on my phone that want to access all my data, but would be willing to do that and even pay for a good lake contour gps map.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
After looking around the ND GFP website, it looks to me like you need a Garmin GPS. They don't have Oahe!! :( Sak map looks good though. I didn't see where you could download an app to a phone. I found the link to a youtube video to install the maps on to a Garmin GPS. I was on my computer and not my phone and I could view the maps nice. I'll try it on my phone but I highly doubt I'll download anything since they don't have Oahe.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oahe is the reason i bought a humminbird/lakesmaster. On the boat in the summer, on the ATV for ice fishing. Some of the phone apps are nice for backup and on smaller lakes, but nothing beats an actual graph with a chip.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I left my graph in the boat and I'm not going to get it now. Next year I'll have to take it off and hook up a power cord to a battery and fix it to my 4 wheeler somehow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75