2020 Open Water - I'm Ready...Already

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
New Yar 219 is scheduled to be here in about 3 weeks. Maiden voyage may be to Green Bay in April.

Rebuilt the floor, stringers and supports in the 88 Yar over the last 2 months.

Ordered about 2K in tackle. I have been ready for open water since December 1st. I haven't ice fished 1 time this winter.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in 2016 we were fishing the river down by the rifle range February 27th.....That was nice

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to change oil and gear case lube and I am ready to go. I need to cut out some more smile blades and tie a couple harnesses. I should be fishing sometime in March I think. I’m from the Lake Erie region and have been toying with the idea of fishing there in the spring.

Please explain? what do you use to make and how? have me interested?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in 2016 we were fishing the river down by the rifle range February 27th.....That was nice

I drove to Minnesota that day to pick up my 617 tiller. I remember seeing all the boats going the opposite direction of me and was a little upset.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have fished the Missouri in every month of the year except February.

I think it was 2012 when we had a 50 degree day in January that I put the boat in the Missouri at Bismarck. February, I'm pretty sure I've fished Feb a few times since 2003, when I arrived in Bismarck.

And...I'd like to do it again this year. Without a ton of snow west of the Missouri River corridor below the dam, I'm hoping the water cleans up quickly this year.

There, that should jinx everything.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was 2012 when we had a 50 degree day in January that I put the boat in the Missouri at Bismarck. February, I'm pretty sure I've fished Feb a few times since 2003, when I arrived in Bismarck.

And...I'd like to do it again this year. Without a ton of snow west of the Missouri River corridor below the dam, I'm hoping the water cleans up quickly this year.

Could be a great spring. We'll be fishing out west here while they sandbag and blow snow in the east. They can keep their Popeyes chicken!

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

You should have snipped that Bullsnake;-)

Baby is due on Friday, I Think this gets me off the hook for Valentines day IDK, Find out i guess. I got snipped after we found out so it dont happen again. This makes 3 boys for us aged 15,7 and the newborn

3geese4me

Honored Member
Please explain? what do you use to make and how? have me interested?

I have a machine in my basement that can cut thicker plastic out. I found what plastic is close to being used, made some modifications to the blade and poof! magic.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just found this old pic from about 15 years ago on sak, sure makes me wish the kids were little again. Always said that my youngest by the age of 10 had probably caught more walleyes than any kid in the country at that time, he was a little machine!
Days like today really have me wishing for boat weather!

Wes little fish on.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just found this old pic from about 15 years ago on sak, sure makes me wish the kids were little again. Always said that my youngest by the age of 10 had probably caught more walleyes than any kid in the country at that time, he was a little machine!
Days like today really have me wishing for boat weather!

F1F6DB9B-3904-48DC-B637-DE660874C96C.jpg

Smashing walleyes and crushing Bud Lights all before 8 years old;-)

Founding Member
Founding Member

:;:cheers ;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

Ha ha ha ha and ran that baitcaster like a boss in the 140 Suzuki powered viper.
:;:cheers ;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Where are you finding this plastic sheet material. I would be interested in buying some or trying my own cutouts? [MENTION=2610]3geese4me[/MENTION]

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you looked you could probably go on Alibaba and buy like a thousand for $10..seriously.
Been using smile blades for 20 years, always thought they were pretty inexpensive. It's always cool thou when guys make thier own tackle thou that's for sure.
I'd really like to find a machine or company to make my own style hooks for me.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Allen how is the snow pack out in MT so far...extreme like last year or not so bad?

3geese4me

Honored Member
Where are you finding this plastic sheet material. I would be interested in buying some or trying my own cutouts? @3geese4me

I believe I got it at hobby lobby. My wife designed something then cut it out. Haven’t caught a ton of walleyes on them but the smallmouth bass sure love them.

grizzly

Established Member
bought new boat 2 years ago so no new 1 for me yet this year but did buy a seasonal trailer up at LOTW this month so cant wait for open water

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79