2020 Open Water - I'm Ready...Already

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen how is the snow pack out in MT so far...extreme like last year or not so bad?

I drove through glacier a couple weeks ago on the way to whitefish a lot of snow, snowpack on big mountain is above average.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen how is the snow pack out in MT so far...extreme like last year or not so bad?

mt_snow.jpg

Right at normal overall. http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/snow.pdf

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
1D2E411A-D950-415D-8B6D-60B430E1406B.jpg

Right at normal overall. http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/snow.pdf

Was out by East Glacier last week. Seemed like snow was pretty scarce. The entire Hwy2 corridor all the way back east was dry and brown.

Lewistown/Great Falls had some snow.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, my counterpart in Great Falls mentioned the other day that they already had a lot of ice-free rivers.

And the dumbass was out skiing instead of fishing. Derp...

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put the muffs on and fired things up today...ready to roll. Highs in the upper 30s and high 40s for the next couple weeks for Bismarck....we're fishing in March.

Any city/county equipment operators on here that want to push some ice out from the ramps? Anyone drive by Fox recently?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to replace the bunks on my trailer. I've all ready bought all the brackets from the Ranger dealer. Any recommendations on wood or any tricks to make it easier?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was on the ice for 6 hours yesterday...hitting the ice again today-but damn I'm ready for open water! Van Hook still has 25 inches of ice...c'mon spring let's go!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, my counterpart in Great Falls mentioned the other day that they already had a lot of ice-free rivers.

And the dumbass was out skiing instead of fishing. Derp...
[MENTION=389]Allen[/MENTION] assuming no major storms or heavy precipitation in March & April, is there a good chance we could see normal river flows of 25k-30k this summer? Asking for a few friends;)

- - - Updated - - -

I need to replace the bunks on my trailer. I've all ready bought all the brackets from the Ranger dealer. Any recommendations on wood or any tricks to make it easier?

Check with a dealer to see if they will loan you a trailer for a day. Then swap then when a ramp opens up, or pay them to hoist it for you.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

green treated and marine carpet is your cheapest option. They sell some manufactures 2x4’s now that supposedly don’t need carpet. I’d get everything cut to length, carpeted, new brackets installed on the bunks before I’d back it in the water. Beach the boat and start swapping out boards.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the plan, get everything done and do it right at the ramp.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Screw wood, get the composite boards.

If you are stuck on wood, I'd think you can use green treat on a fiberglass hull. You also must use SS screws/bolts or risk premature failure of the fasteners.

- - - Updated - - -

@Allen assuming no major storms or heavy precipitation in March & April, is there a good chance we could see normal river flows of 25k-30k this summer? Asking for a few friends;)

I'm betting on near normal Missouri River flows right now. There's nothing in the data that suggests otherwise.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not gonna lie, it felt damn good to be back in a boat again this week.
The bite was extremely slow, but good things can still happen to those who wait I guess.#$%^&>:;:cheers

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't had boat out for 2yrs., been hurt, suppose I better see if the water pump works on the motor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74