Proposed WY big game price increases

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So western states are giving you folks the stink eye eh?,kinda like we from Mn and sconny land when we hunt the dakota's,but western states see big $$ signs from folks invading they're presious land and willing to step up to these crazy increases,past few years more resident hunters in minn and further east are hunting local game farms as the weekend warriors only get out couple times a year so why pay $125 to hunt pheasants in south dakota for a 10 day license when a well managed game farm charges $15/bird,no travel cost or lodging,I suspect we'll see more high fence big game hunts coming in states in the not so distant future,sad our spot has come to this.

most people who come out here are coming for the lodging and food and drinking as much as they are the hunting. Seems people take the hunting way more serious going out for big game. Less about the party more about hunting. In all reality its cheaper to buy meat than to go hunting if that is what a person is worried about

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always associated fee increases with efforts to limit numbers but if there is already a quota in place, why make it so only those with means can hunt? Does the state need the money for game management expenses? Maybe they need more money and decided to nick the out of stater so the residents fees don't have to increase as much.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So western states are giving you folks the stink eye eh?,kinda like we from Mn and sconny land when we hunt the dakota's,but western states see big $$ signs from folks invading they're presious land and willing to step up to these crazy increases,past few years more resident hunters in minn and further east are hunting local game farms as the weekend warriors only get out couple times a year so why pay $125 to hunt pheasants in south dakota for a 10 day license for example when a well managed game farm charges $15/bird,no travel cost or lodging,I suspect we'll see more high fence big game hunts coming in states in the not so distant future,sad our sport has come to this.

Or like alaska,when I moved back to the lower 48 non rez big game hunters were required to secure a licensed guide or called a "master guide" not sure if that still holds? problem was big money oil honcho's were trophy hunting out of they're private helicopters,that ended the recklessness pronto and provided the guides/state big time revenue,had a job working at a small airfield (merriel airfield) in downtown anchorage when I first moved to alaska,folks from around the world came in droves to trophy hunt,talked to some foreign hunters shooting the "grand slam" one day waiting for an air lift,at the time (late 80's) it was a $50k bill today over $100k so as long as folks with deep pockets pay the piper states keep jacking up the fee's,as stated blue collar hunters will be kicked to the curb down the road.

Are you talking grand slam of sheep if so 100000.00 gets you a dessert sheep hunt then 50000.00 for stone sheep the dall is cheep at only 25000.00. then the rocky mountain big horn will also be 60000.00. so for 235000 you cna get it done.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say have a median income. The cost of these hunts really doesnt bother me, that much. Its government trying to force me to support guides and outfitters that pisses me off. On public land I pay taxes for, none the less. Wheres my refund for supporting WY wilderness areas? I want my money back......:::

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
its pretty much dead. This is from rokslide a guy who is involved

In general terms, there will be NO significant loss of D, E, A tags for NR's in regard to 90-10 split.

It is a fact that in Statute, NR's are assured 7,250 full price elk tags...meaning the 6% decrease in LQ tags to NR's would be made up for with more general tags. So, that's a wash. The same with LQ cow/calf tags, what residents don't draw right now, are headed to the leftover draw, so NR's wouldn't see any significant decrease there.

A vast majority of the NR deer tags are region wide tags, those are 100% going to NR's. There will be a decrease in the remaining LQ deer tags to NR's, no question of that, you're losing 10% of those tags and no way to off-set unless areas are undersubscribed by Residents (those fall to the NR initial draw).

Pronghorn is going to see a shift. No question the harder to draw areas would be tougher for NR's to draw, you're losing 10% of your quota. But, there will also be tags available in mid-tier units where Residents wont now draw tags due to the 10% increase in Resident tags being drawn in different unit. Currently, NR's draw more than 50% of the pronghorn tags in Wyoming, that wont change with a 90-10 split. Its going to be more of a shift in where NR tags are more available, than a loss in total NR pronghorn tags.

Sheep, moose, goat, bison...you're again flat losing those tags by 10-15% depending on the species.

Where this bill sucks, and why it will fail, is the 30% outfitter allocation. The 90-10 split will shift things more than reduce NR opportunity at tags. But, the 30% allocation to outfitters will be the biggest blow to NR's.

So, I first heard of this bill about 3-4 months ago and talked to the guy that is pushing it. In the conversation myself and a friend had with him, we told him flat out to stick with the 90-10 split. We also told him that if he was at all serious that the bill had to be revenue neutral to the GF budget. Our recommendation was to increase Resident fees to offset any potential revenue loss going to 90-10. Further, he brought up the outfitter allocation, and we told him flat out that would likely kill his idea and the legislation. Residents are not keen on giving another hand-out to outfitters and IMO, sets a pretty dangerous precedent.

That brings us to a meeting a few weeks back that a bunch of groups had with the GF. In that discussion, the WOGA brought up this bill and asked the groups in attendance to oppose it. They also said that it was likely to have an outfitter set aside (again they said they oppose that).

But, all that being said, the outfitters are currently being pretty quiet and are taking some heat over it right now. For a group that said they don't support this bill, they sure haven't gone out of their way to come out opposing it yet either.

If I had to venture a guess, Jeff Smith and Sy Gillaland are probably crunching numbers and seeing if there is an over-all benefit to outfitters. I would also guess that there are some outfitters that would support this big-time and some that would oppose it big-time.

I'll be in full opposition mode, strictly over the fact that once again, NR's are taking it on the chin by having to pay for something that largely benefits Residents. My opinion, if Residents want a 90-10 split, than Residents should have to pay more for to make up the difference. Further, I oppose the outfitter set-aside no matter where its proposed, in any state. The draw should be open to ALL non residents and just because someone has the cash to throw around, they shouldn't get better odds by buying/applying/booking through an outfitter.

This bill is going nowhere, its a budget session and needs 2/3 vote to pass. I don't see it coming out of committee and IME, even with amendments, it will die. The quickest way to see a bill fail in committee is to start making a bunch of amendments. The session is only 24 days long and they don't have the time to go back and forth with the amendments. Plus, with revenue issues in Wyoming over-all, this is not a high priority bill in a budget session.

But, make no mistake that 90-10 is not going away. Wyoming Residents are feeling the pinch when they apply in surrounding states and therefor want more opportunity at tags here.

There is a right way to get a 90-10 bill passed...and this isn't it.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like 2315 electronic posting was "dead" in ND? Ha ha. jk.......kind of.................

Sorry, didnt mean to derail.

Glad its getting resistance from various sources.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slam in AK only,dall moose bu,both bears rainy all (5)
Are you talking grand slam of sheep if so 100000.00 gets you a dessert sheep hunt then 50000.00 for stone sheep the dall is cheep at only 25000.00. then the rocky mountain big horn will also be 60000.00. so for 235000 you cna get it done.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The biggest problem with going to 90-10 allocation is that they have a preference point system. If they go to this allocation, they need to go to random draw immediately or they won’t make up for money lost. As it sits now, anyone over the age 30 with less that 15 sheep points is throwing money in the trash. It’s downright stupid if they go to 10% allocation and I would assume most of those people would be smart enough to drop out. The same will be true for elk. Who is gonna pay $100 a year for 20 years to get a marginal elk tag? And I’m sure the PP cost will follow suit and increase too!

Or like alaska,when I moved back to the lower 48 non rez big game hunters were required to secure a licensed guide or called a "master guide" not sure if that still holds? problem was big money oil honcho's were trophy hunting out of they're private helicopters,that ended the recklessness pronto and provided the guides/state big time revenue,had a job working at a small airfield (merriel airfield) in downtown anchorage when I first moved to alaska,folks from around the world came in droves to trophy hunt,talked to some foreign hunters shooting the "grand slam" one day waiting for an air lift,at the time (late 80's) it was a $50k bill today over $100k so as long as folks with deep pockets pay the piper states keep jacking up the fee's,as stated blue collar hunters will be kicked to the curb down the road.

First, there has never been a big game guide requirement in Alaska. Recently, a NR guide requirement has been established for sheep, goat, and grizzly/brown bear. If it were up to the residents, that would be eliminated and all them tags go on a draw up to 10% allocation. Around 50% of the sheep in AK are taken by NRs and there are numerous areas that you can’t even fly to because guide operations set up shop weeks before season. Their day of reckoning is coming and it may be as soon as a couple months for a few units! Second, you can use fixed-winged aircraft ONLY for assistance in taking and removing game. Third, if people were paying $50K for a sheep take 40 years ago, there better have been a bunny ranch style lodge. You can get in with great outfits today with $20K and that’s up 100% since 2010.

As far as the guide requirements in places like WY and AK, be sure to ask for detailed information on where the “Conservation” organizations you’re part of send your money. I dumped the Wild Sheep Foundation immediately when I learned about the money they’re dumping into the Professional Hunters Association (guide lobby). SCI is also a guilty party.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well actually there was BIG GAME guide REQUIREMENT for non rez when I lived there mid 80's,at the time I remember being told that the state only had registerd 200 master guides to cover the entire state,but maybe this was before your time if you lived there?Doesn't matter to me now as I'll never go back up there,went back in the 90's but never went on a hunt just worked and fished.

Last edited:

Redneck1

WHY does anyone want to spend $$$ and hunt in Wyoming any way?? The animals are infested with CWD.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WY is getting poor with less revenue from coal and natural gas. The income from those industries pays for much of the states budget. I’m sure they are looking at ways to self fund certain departments. There is even talk to bring back a state income tax it’s getting so bad.

I can tell you one thing is the locals despise the guides as much as the non residents. They are tying up public land trying to keep residents and non residents from accessing what is dually our land. I don’t think this will pass as is but I bet a rise in prices wouldn’t be unheard of.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's happening to hunting in general makes a guy more sad and frustrated each year. I hope I can take my boys out to a "real" hunt before it all becomes tied up and commercialized.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So western states are giving you folks the stink eye eh?,kinda like we from Mn and sconny land when we hunt the dakota's,

They're not giving NR's the stink eye, they just want more $$. On a hunt in Oct in WY I mentioned my exuberant disdain for 'Sconi's and one of the guides went on a 30Min tirade in full agreement.

Then we had some Whiskey.

Basically, everyone hates 'Sconi's. That state would be significantly improved by installation of a border wall and immediate importation of folks from Wuhan China.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're not giving NR's the stink eye, they just want more $$. On a hunt in Oct in WY I mentioned my exuberant disdain for 'Sconi's and one of the guides went on a 30Min tirade in full agreement.

Then we had some Whiskey.

Basically, everyone hates 'Sconi's. That state would be significantly improved by installation of a border wall and immediate importation of folks from Wuhan China.

Vikings fans be like: “I approve this message!”

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for keeping up on this guys.
love hunting wyoming. cant say ive paid much attention lately.
so thanks for the update on things

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The biggest problem with going to 90-10 allocation is that they have a preference point system. If they go to this allocation, they need to go to random draw immediately or they won’t make up for money lost. As it sits now, anyone over the age 30 with less that 15 sheep points is throwing money in the trash. It’s downright stupid if they go to 10% allocation and I would assume most of those people would be smart enough to drop out. The same will be true for elk. Who is gonna pay $100 a year for 20 years to get a marginal elk tag? And I’m sure the PP cost will follow suit.

Its already this way. Points systems are a scam. That shit is coming to a head fast.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75