Proposed WY big game price increases

Founding Member
Founding Member
$425 for an antelope, $550 for a deer,$800 to hunt an elk.
Less nonresident tags, more for outfitters.
Where does it end, the days of taking the family hunting are sadly coming to an end. And they wonder why hunters numbers are plummeting.
They just had a price increase two years ago, I hope this doesn't pass.
20200211_050246.jpg

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will not stop because everyone keeps going anyways. And soon it is a rich only deal. It is the same in the sports world, where the money the athletes get with the endorsements and salary. If the fans would stop going to events and stop buying overpriced nike shoes, sportswear and the like it would make a huge difference, but it is NOT going to change now. It is far too late.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idaho is going up next year also from 419.00 to 650.00. I guess i cant complain to much as i am a visitor and dont want them telling me how to run where i live. In the long run if i have to save a couple hundred more dollars just wont go out to eat a few times or stay out of the bar. I dont know that they will get the out fitter part of that passed in wyoming but there are budget shortfalls all over game and fish so prices are going to go up its either you ding the people who visit or the people who live there year round.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s one of the states ways to protect the resource for residents. ND needs to follow suit. Especially fishing and deer tags.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Giving more license to the outfitters and less to nonresidents isn't going to bring in more money. The outfitters simply have more money to fund lobbyists. The same reason that their law requires a guide to hunt wilderness which belongs to all of us. A city slick can hike wilderness without a guide, but not a hunter, he may get lost. I have spent as much time in the mountains as many of the goat roppers that play guide in the fall.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've also wondered at what point people stop going. I'm not there yet, but I'm certainly getting annoyed.
The tag fee is just the beginning. Then there's habitat stamps and application fees and archery fees and so on. Also, a few states (CO just started doing this) require that you buy a small game or some other license before you can even apply. And of course charging you up front and sitting on your money for months before the draw is popular too.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The same reason that their law requires a guide to hunt wilderness which belongs to all of us. A city slick can hike wilderness without a guide, but not a hunter, he may get lost.

That is a horseshit law. I prefer to target wilderness areas to avoid people and find elk. Not in WY. I need a guide there. ;:;banghead

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Giving more license to the outfitters and less to nonresidents isn't going to bring in more money. The outfitters simply have more money to fund lobbyists. The same reason that their law requires a guide to hunt wilderness which belongs to all of us. A city slick can hike wilderness without a guide, but not a hunter, he may get lost. I have spent as much time in the mountains as many of the goat roppers that play guide in the fall.

it is the same amount of license at a higher cost so simple math says it will be more money. You still have to buy the license to go with the outfitter they just don’t get them for free. I don’t agree with more tags for them but the truth is the truth

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate seeing this happen! Doesn't stop me from hunting but does irritate me. The wife and I have plans to move to Wyoming after the last kid graduates. I was born and raised there until dad followed oil north in the 80's so I call it home but hate seeing this happen in any state. Residents hate non's but really they shouldn't due to the amount of cash flow brought in. I just see non's put in more work than the residents due to the fact they don't get to do that style of hunt every day. Montana raised prices and I havn't hunted there in a few years either just because for the money I feel there are better states for deer. I am at I think 8 points for elk in Wyoming and plan to burn them in 2021. Not sure if I will build elk points again as I much rather chase large deer but they are gonna make it tough across the board. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can understand the price increases, Montana is similar. It is too bad but hunting out of state in the West is no longer an activity for anyone, it is for the wealthy/really dedicated. Once the boomers finally start kicking the bucket I think the odds are going to get a lot better in many states. If you look at data showing hunter ages there is a big dropoff after the boomers. It is that generation that "wants and deserves their tags" we can thank for all of these pyramid-scheme point systems and guide/landowner tags. I am thankful SD has plenty of hunting opportunity compared to ND for residents.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
it is the same amount of license at a higher cost so simple math says it will be more money. You still have to buy the license to go with the outfitter they just don’t get them for free. I don’t agree with more tags for them but the truth is the truth
Kurt do the outfitters pay more for a tag? I called Wyoming a few years ago and talked to their head game warden. He insisted it cost the same. Then I asked him why are there two different prices for tags and that was as clear as mud. I applied for a license and told him I was going to hunt wilderness without a guide. He said I hope we don't find you. I said I'll call and tell you where I am. I think the law can be successfully challenged. It's federal land, it's prejudice towards hunters over hikers, and if i think about it for a while I can come up with something else. I think outfitters should be thrown off public land, the parasites. Simply more money worshiping from state legislators. How many legislators are selling out for a couple of bucks. They are a lot like Biden.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt do the outfitters pay more for a tag? I called Wyoming a few years ago and talked to their head game warden. He insisted it cost the same. Then I asked him why are there two different prices for tags and that was as clear as mud. I applied for a license and told him I was going to hunt wilderness without a guide. He said I hope we don't find you. I said I'll call and tell you where I am. I think the law can be successfully challenged. It's federal land, it's prejudice towards hunters over hikers, and if i think about it for a while I can come up with something else. I think outfitters should be thrown off public land, the parasites. Simply more money worshiping from state legislators. How many legislators are selling out for a couple of bucks. They are a lot like Biden.

a nr pays the same as you would drawing it. Your idea of challenging the law has already been done and defeated. A guy on Rokslide has explained it multiple times. You loose because your not being told you can’t go on the land your being told you can’t get a permit to hunt the animals that the state owns. So unless you disagree with states having the right to manage their animals this law stands every challenge.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt you can get a license without divulging whether or not you have a guide. If you have paid to hunt that animal what is the difference where you hunt for it. It's been years, but the people I talked with were worried I would do as I planned. Since that time perhaps someone has tried and lost.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've spent thousands in WY on tags as a non res over the last decade. After I cash out my elk, deer, and antelope tags I will be taking my money elsewhere. I will also be sending a letter to the state of WY. Not that they care much, but I think its best they know why.

I will make it clear that it is a direct result of their nonres/guide wilderness policy and favoritism towards the outfitters. I'm not that fond of outfitters in my home state either, so at least I'm consistent.

As stated, they can do as they please. And I can take my $$$ to another state if thats what they want, they shall receive. No skin off my back.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurt you can get a license without divulging whether or not you have a guide. If you have paid to hunt that animal what is the difference where you hunt for it. It's been years, but the people I talked with were worried I would do as I planned. Since that time perhaps someone has tried and lost.

Kurt is correct. You can bitch all you want about the law but it won’t change anything. Wyoming isn’t keeping you out of the Wilderness. The hunting license you purchase is not valid within Wilderness areas without a guide (which can be any resident of Wyoming btw). It’s part of the license and by purchasing said license you are agreeing to the terms. If you choose to hunt a Wilderness without a guide you will be in violation of the terms of the license and will be subject to penalty if caught.

It is a bullshit law but it is, in fact, the law in Wyoming. If you want to see it changed, move to Wyoming and get enough residents to support you and lobby the legislature to change it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too me, the prices are ALL READY WAY TOO HIGH for me. Who would pay that much to shoot a speed goat? I guess I'm spoiled I got to do it for so cheap growing up.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my understanding the guide lobby is pretty stout out there that law is here for good

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So western states are giving you folks the stink eye eh?,kinda like we from Mn and sconny land when we hunt the dakota's,but western states see big $$ signs from folks invading they're presious land and willing to step up to these crazy increases,past few years more resident hunters in minn and further east are hunting local game farms as the weekend warriors only get out couple times a year so why pay $125 to hunt pheasants in south dakota for a 10 day license for example when a well managed game farm charges $15/bird,no travel cost or lodging,I suspect we'll see more high fence big game hunts coming in states in the not so distant future,sad our sport has come to this.

Or like alaska,when I moved back to the lower 48 non rez big game hunters were required to secure a licensed guide or called a "master guide" not sure if that still holds? problem was big money oil honcho's were trophy hunting out of they're private helicopters,that ended the recklessness pronto and provided the guides/state big time revenue,had a job working at a small airfield (merriel airfield) in downtown anchorage when I first moved to alaska,folks from around the world came in droves to trophy hunt,talked to some foreign hunters shooting the "grand slam" one day waiting for an air lift,at the time (late 80's) it was a $50k bill today over $100k so as long as folks with deep pockets pay the piper states keep jacking up the fee's,as stated blue collar hunters will be kicked to the curb down the road.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79