Proposed WY big game price increases

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a similar bill last year. It will keep coming up EVERY year. Eventually, a bill will pass regarding the allocation split and at a minimum, move closer to a 90-10 split.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s one of the states ways to protect the resource for residents. ND needs to follow suit. Especially fishing and deer tags.

Huh? ND is by FAR the least friendly to NRs for big game tags of any state. It isn't even close. Oregon is widely regarded as an absolutely terrible state for non-residents and yet ND is worse.

Just as an example, Wyoming gives 25% of their SHEEP tags to NRs. ND gives 1% of rifle deer tags to NRs and residents still bitch.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was a similar bill last year. It will keep coming up EVERY year. Eventually, a bill will pass regarding the allocation split and at a minimum, move closer to a 90-10 split.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh? ND is by FAR the least friendly to NRs for big game tags of any state. It isn't even close. Oregon is widely regarded as an absolutely terrible state for non-residents and yet ND is worse.

Just as an example, Wyoming gives 25% of their SHEEP tags to NRs. ND gives 1% of rifle deer tags to NRs and residents still bitch.
how many non resident bow tags?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how many non resident bow tags?

cant forget the elk, moose and mountain goat, antelope tags that are available to nr in wyoming how many of those can a nr get in ND

in 2018 there were 502 any deer nr archery tags in ND. For big game hunting for non residents ND is pretty strict if compared to alot of other states. Prices are cheaper. Waterfowl is where you guys shine and most advantage is taken

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
cant forget the elk, moose and mountain goat, antelope tags that are available to nr in wyoming how many of those can a nr get in ND

in 2018 there were 502 any deer nr archery tags in ND. For big game hunting for non residents ND is pretty strict if compared to alot of other states. Prices are cheaper. Waterfowl is where you guys shine and most advantage is taken
I really don’t care what species and shit. Not the numbers of tags. I’m strictly talking cost for these tags. Double the big game and pheasant tag prices and since they have such a problem with non resident fishermen triple those license costs.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt, ND's population of elk, moose and antelope pales in comparison to WY as you are fully aware of I'm sure. I am fine with ND issuing the tags to residents only.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really don’t care what species and shit. Not the numbers of tags. I’m strictly talking cost for these tags. Double the big game and pheasant tag prices and since they have such a problem with non resident fishermen triple those license costs.

Sounds about right 500.00 for a deer tag is in line with most other states. I wish our nr tags were also in line with the other states. We have made some laws about Nr and when they have to apply and when they can start hunting public land which are not really that friendly to them. The thing is the western states have a commodity that going to east dont have. No one really cares about whitetails as they are every where. Unless they are hitting the pheasant capital of Pembina every one knows there are no pheasants in north dakota

- - - Updated - - -

Kurt, ND's population of elk, moose and antelope pales in comparison to WY as you are fully aware of I'm sure. I am fine with ND issuing the tags to residents only.

For sure no way that nr should get those tags but acting like Wyoming is anti nr isnt really fair with all the opportunity afforded to nr

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eyexer,

you should start a non-profit with a mission to keep all non-residents out. Call it the North Dakota Outdoor Heritage Coalition. Oh wait, Dick Monson and Bob Kellum already tried that one.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chase away all the NR and you can also say goodbye to the small town Mom n Pop cafe's, stores, and gas stations that rely on some of that money for extra income just to keep the doors open.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chase away all the NR and you can also say goodbye to the small town Mom n Pop cafe's, stores, and gas stations that rely on some of that money for extra income just to keep the doors open.
well when they pass the no trespass law they’re gonna be gone anyway.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm for NR hunting in ND. I wish there could be a few changes with the archery season. Pheasant and waterfowl seem to be doing fine with the dates and fees.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isnt that what you want all the non residents not coming?
of course not. I want the cost to go up significantly. It’s far too cheap. And when the no trespass bill passes the funds to game and fish with drop dramatically and that’s the only thing finding them.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's a horse-shit false flag.

All those NR's who were coming to SW ND to "Save our Towns" during the CRP/high-pheasant population years are nowhere be found in SW ND now. The severe drouth summer of '14, '15 or '16 whenever it was saw to that. Those same folks are still coming, they're now doing pheasant/duck, Duck/walleye/perch or pheasant/walleye/perch combo trips in the middle 1/3 of the state. If the sloughs dry up and the bird/fish numbers drop, those NR's will again be gone.

There isn't anyone coming to "Save our Towns" without some sort of fish or game to pursue. If you own a restaurant or hotel and have put all your eggs into the "hunting/fishing" basket, you'd better have put some $$ into habitat or access to it and not just new towels, sheets, and silverware.

Long-term, a small town restaurant is far more likely to stay in business if they can get into the business of providing meals for Medicare/Medicaide recipients.

An avid resident hunter will spend exponentially more on food and fuel than will a 10-14 day bird or archery hunter. But the resident hunter is much more likely to keep going, and going, and going even when game numbers are low than is a "fair-weather" NR.

"Save our Towns/restaurant/bar/business" is a trainload of complete Bullshit.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
LMFAO I did say rely on SOME of that money, you know it all attention whore. Yup that is Y O U

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
LMFAO I did say rely on SOME of that money, you know it all attention whore. Yup that is Y O U

No secret that I've said forever that catering to the needs to locals will keep one in business a lot longer than attempting to cater to tourists looking to exploit a finite resource. The caveat being, if you have some means of also providing access to the finite resource.

Anyone who invested in providing services to hunters sans access to habitat and actual game without also studying what happened to game numbers during the SoilBank game population boom/bust is a fuggin idiot.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to go fish in a tourney. Might wise you up a smidge

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't get my brain in a low enough gear to intentionally interact with tournament fisher-people.

918B2B24-4E36-41D2-B4CF-7076E8105DFA.gif

fishhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind it also takes 3 years of $50 points to draw a general elk tag also. So $950 is the real price of a tag.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just applied for Colorado archery Elk. What a crock of shit.
You have to buy a NR small game license ($82) before you can even apply + Habitat stamp ($10) + Application fee ($9). All told, it cost me $101.91 to apply for tag I probably won't get.
I would bet 90+% of NRs that apply and get rejected never visit CO to take advantage of their small game license, so they might as well just call it a $100 application fee.
I'll hand it to them though. It's a hell of a scam. It wasn't enough to stop me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76