A shot too far

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
are we gonna limit livescope on the big lake/river in the spirng and fall too to stop the slaughter of big female walleyes?????
why is it okay for fisherman to embrace technology but when hunters do it its unethical, or cheating or to easy?????

when's this shit gonna end jealousy is stinky can we seriously stop worrying what others do and enjoy why we all started hunting and fishing?? to be with family, have some dam fun.

It’s the way of the new world ! Too many you tubers out there that have there own tv stations!!!! Limits and limits and limits of fish and game they want! but it’s the partaking with nature away from civilization that is what it’s all about !!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll play devils advocate here, with the immediate disclaimer that it boils down to your own personal ethics. If you know you can make a 500+ yard shot, go right ahead. I certainly can’t but I’m not about to draft legislation that says you can’t.

With that said, there is only so much wildlife. We have gotten exceedingly more efficient at harvesting it. The amount of info available, the new gadgetry that comes out everyday, etc. It has become all the easier to outpace our wildlife recruitment. Yes, we need to recruit hunters and grow the sport. But we also need to think long term when it comes to wildlife management. It’s not as simple as we need to make every effort to make hunting as easy as possible for everyone. I wish it was but that’s not reality. Hunting SHOULD BE TOUGH. You should have to feel some frustration. You should have some times when you don’t successfully fill a tag. I don’t like that this societal idea of “everything should be easy” is bleeding into hunting.

So no, I don’t say we should somehow regulate that you can only take a shot at a distance that every single person can make. I’m not calling for any other restrictions either baiting, trail cameras etc. But maybe more of us should challenge ourselves to not take an easy way out.

I now leave you time to flame away.

so even with all the advancements success rates are in the 10-15 percent range on elk. Is that higher than 10 or 20 years ago? from what i have found there is not much advancement in success long term average is around 12%. This seems to be one of the perceived problems from our new hipster hunter culture that only hunts for free range meat and has to be gritty as hell while taking in the nuance of the stalk and then crying because they got lucky and shot a doe in the ass hitting the femoral artery while bragging about eating the asshole

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's for archery only. For rifle its higher and is starting to have some outliers for much higher. You can contemplate that on your next 7 mile trip into the backcounty with your 6.5 Manbun to properly season your elk tag soup.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's for archery only. For elk its higher and is starting to have some outliers for much higher. You can contemplate that on your next 7 mile trip into the backcounty with your 6.5 Manbun to properly season your elk tag soup.

Actually doing a even deeper dive lets just take for instance unit 23 in Idaho the success rate in 2008 was 22.8% then in 2018 it was 13.8%. in 2008 19a was 11.9% and in 2018 it was 7.2%. So should it not be going the other way if technology is really having that big of a factor? Hell go back to 2001 when the mark 4 was the shit and every one thought the 308 was the end all success rate in 19a was 27%. So they even spent alot less days in the field in 2001 with 1534 then in 2008 it went up to 4764 and in 2018 4635 days. Go to the frank and the numbers are even more glaring that harvest percentages are not trending up. So whats the cause for more days in the field less animals killed? There is one common denominator ..............

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone can cherry pick data to try to make a point. Doesn't make them right.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Actually doing a even deeper dive lets just take for instance unit 23 in Idaho the success rate in 2008 was 22.8% then in 2018 it was 13.8%. in 2008 19a was 11.9% and in 2018 it was 7.2%. So should it not be going the other way if technology is really having that big of a factor? Hell go back to 2001 when the mark 4 was the shit and every one thought the 308 was the end all success rate in 19a was 27%. So they even spent alot less days in the field in 2001 with 1534 then in 2008 it went up to 4764 and in 2018 4635 days. Go to the frank and the numbers are even more glaring that harvest percentages are not trending up. So whats the cause for more days in the field less animals killed? There is one common denominator ..............

do those units even have elk? Do they get pushed to private during gun season? factors that could drastically sway those stats

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice "Perch" for your avatar. :;:stirthepot

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
do those units even have elk? Do they get pushed to private during gun season? factors that could drastically sway those stats

yes the harvest stats are on the page. They are over 90% national forest. The numbers are less but not from long range hunting or tech improvement but do follow a trend as wolf numbers went up elk numbers went down

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news...cle_ccd46eb0-4a1e-52e2-a517-ea1ccf191fb4.html[FONT="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][/FONT]
5c3581f65ccaa.image.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
meelosh said, (paraphrasing before Meelosh deleted post 35)

Meelosh said,
"He has a total of three followers in Wyoming and 127 on facebook. Calm your tits Fritz."

Mountain Pursuit....scoff scoff.... how many non-profits does the shooting sports need? There most be more profits in non-profits than performing real jobs.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn’t want to get drug into this ridiculousness even father but Fritz missed the most important part. From his article the group has 3 TOTAL members and no donors. Because he is so slimy, he usually tries to twist words as he can, and I guess I helped him here by deleting the post.

You ever feel creepy Fritz? Or is it a natural part of you? Masquerading as a hunter, trying to pretend you’re on our side, while only coming here and every other site we’ve been just to see derision?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like this guy who wants to start this "club" wants to be its CEO and make millions and have playboy bunnies for assistants. Great for him, not so much for the rest of us.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75