Outdoor Woodfired/ Dual Fuel Boiler

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you gents use an outdoor Woodfired/Dual Fuel Boiler? These have piqued my interest and I am now onsidering one of these setups for the house/shop once we get to building (hopefully this summer).

The house will be heated via radiant in floor heat in both poured in the basement floor and under the main level flooring. The shop would also have it poured into the floor as well.. We would also use it as a heat source for the hot water heater.

I get that it is going to be a fair amount of work hauling, splitting, and stacking wood. I'm ok with that. I need to get into better shape so I welcome the exercise. I want to go dual fuel so my wife won't have to worry about loading it up if I'm not around because of work or a hunting trip or something.

Any of you guys have any experience? Older units or newer more efficient units, I want to hear about any experiences you guys might have.

I'm not too worried about a wood supply either. With more and more tree rows being ripped out of fields, I should be able to find an ample supply.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go with a Marathon electric water heater, Its the Yeti of the water heater market. Long lasting, great rebates that help with the cost. You will not be sorry.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago there was a guy back home that built one himself and he fed it with his skidsteer and used old railroad ties and put them in whole. Man that thing burned hot. He contacted the Soo Line and Burlington Northern about their old ties they took out and stacked along the railroad tracks in piles of 5-10. Don't know how many ties one could get today but his was slick the way he had it set up.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago their was an article in the Green Section of the Fargo Form about a farmer in SD built a outside heater that burnt corn stalk bales. It heated three houses and the farm shop. You might be able to google and find out.LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75