Were anyone's ancestors just a bunch of Schlubs..........

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do ancestry, do your best to make a family tree to your great or great great grandparents. After a day or so, thrulines will list your likely tree a few generations deeper provided someone else has built it. Pretty cool shit.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a 50 yr old white male with an exceptionally strong pelvic region.

Not that anyone was wondering..

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Germany is in the middle of Europe. People have been traveling through from east to west and north and south for thousands' of years. To think there is a 'full blooded' German is asinine.

Substitute "all of Europe and to an extent the British Isles" for Germany and how can these ancestory sites say we are this or that is beyond me. I don't trust anything they say. Where do we have any proof to show that they are wrong. Where did they come up with the DNA they say "This is a (substitute whichever nationality you want.)" Just another scam as far as I am concerned and I won't waste my time or money on it.

My rant and $.02 for the day!

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both sides of my ancestors escaped Russia because of the overthrow and loss of farming potatoes. They were close to being indentured servants, but packed up and made it to a port and came to America in the last 1890's.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of a family that sent their stuff in to see if it all matched up. Turned out one of the kids was from another father. I don’t think the 90+ year old mother in the nursing home saw that one coming. Be careful what you want to know.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting back to the topic, schlubs for ancestors. The ancestor that gives me my last name apparently took off from his family and changed his name. Can you imagine, in those days you could just pack up, head out, and make up a whole new name and start over. So one of my uncles claim anyway.

I had to write a family tree paper in college. One of my ancestors from Norway was born right on Ellis Island. And in that same line from Norway, there was an Ole and Lena who were husband and wife, no joke!

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdie mentioned this but nobody really acknowledged it. Do you guys trust these ancestry sites? It just seems really really weird to hand over my DNA to some company. I would love to find out about my family tree but I'm nervous to trust these sites. Am I thinking too much into this?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't. But, said fuck it. As it turns out hundreds of my distant and not so distant relatives already did it. So, now I am not quite as concerned as I once was. They were gonna find me anyway

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdie mentioned this but nobody really acknowledged it. Do you guys trust these ancestry sites? It just seems really really weird to hand over my DNA to some company. I would love to find out about my family tree but I'm nervous to trust these sites. Am I thinking too much into this?

Voluntarily submitting a DNA sample makes about as much sense to me as voluntarily installing microphones connected to the internet.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are nervous about the websites then do the homework. Visit relatives, make phone calls, visit cemeteries, go to the courthouse and libraries. My sister has been working on our tree for 3 years because she doesn't trust those sites either.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are nervous about the websites then do the homework. Visit relatives, make phone calls, visit cemeteries, go to the courthouse and libraries. My sister has been working on our tree for 3 years because she doesn't trust those sites either.

This is a good idea. To take it one step further, if you're nervous about handing over your information/DNA/Material/Deep-dark secrets, then don't. It's pretty simple.

In all honesty, I'm told that I'm part Norwegian, and various other Northern Eureopean ethnicities, and that's plenty good enough for me. I don't much care, beyond that.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not the DNA part that scares me, its that you just gave them access to all you emails and private digital data.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know my family on both mom and dad's side emigrated from German/Russian region to the U.S. to avoid serving in the Kaiser's military.

That's enough to tell me I'm 100% German, even though my hair color and skin tone might lead on to think I've got some Irish background. Then again, with all the raping and pillaging that took place in Europe through the centuries, I may just be part bastard. My ex's, being more in tune with my genetics used to try and convince me I was one.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know my family on both mom and dad's side emigrated from German/Russian region to the U.S. to avoid serving in the Kaiser's military.

That's enough to tell me I'm 100% German, even though my hair color and skin tone might lead on to think I've got some Irish background. Then again, with all the raping and pillaging that took place in Europe through the centuries, I may just be part bastard. My ex's, being more in tune with my genetics used to try and convince me I was one.

Might be from Kazakhstan or Mongolia from waaaaaay back

"The origins of red hair have been traced back to the Steppes of Central Asia as much as 100,000 years ago. The haplogroup of modern redheads indicates that their earliest ancestors migrated to the steppes from the Middle East because of the rise of herding during the Neolithic revolution. The Steppes were the perfect grazing lands for the herds of the agriculturists. Unfortunately, however, the lower UV levels of the area limited their bodies’ ability to synthesize vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiencies bring about weak bones, muscle pain and rickets in children. So the migrants had to change.
To survive their environment, people living in northern regions, in general, had begun to evolve to suit their environment and to allow their bodies more access to the limited light. As a consequence, their skin and hair started to become much lighter. In the eastern steppes, however, things occurred slightly differently. A mutation occurred in a gene known as M1CR which caused hair color not merely to lighten but to change entirely- to red. The skin of these new redhead people was well adapted to absorbing the much-needed UV light. It was, however, a little too sensitive to the sun- which is why redheads often sunburn and are more prone to skin cancer."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74