Were anyone's ancestors just a bunch of Schlubs..........

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my family is big into genealogy stuff and it never fails that "we" or "they" are descended from some "royalty", nobility, or somebody famous, but can't prove it with documents or facts. Talking with other folks that do the same thing for their family, they too, all seem to have royalty, nobility, or "famousness" in their ancestry as well. Did anyone besides royals, nobles, or famous folk get to have kids, or was it just them?? From what I've seen of royalty, famous folk, and the so called nobility, I'd like to think that my ancestors were just a bunch of common schmucks who worked hard, loved their wives, took care of their families, and died after living a good honest life. Nothing fancy or famous, just good folks.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any of my ancestors were high ranking in a past society they sure must have screwed up along the line. We all are just average Joe's from the past I know of at this point

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s kind of like how all natives are a direct descendant of Sitting Bull. Apparently he was the only one allowed to reproduce.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me and Jesse james shared a common male ancestor that lived about 19,500 years ago. Not quite the same thing I guess.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone come from a Cherokee princess, even though they didn't exist. If you go to some places in the country like the Carolinas, KY, Tennessee, everyone claims bloodlines and coats of arms back to British nobility, it's 90%+ bullshit. A lot of folks who crossed the pond claimed nobility once they got far enough away from the old country that no one knew the difference anyway. Seems like when folks start talking about how rich their roots are they appear to be an excuse for a lifetime of inactivity. As for me, no kings just one Scandinavian side, one native side, pretty normal folks other than they probably did, fished, hunted, trapt, and built some pretty cool stuff.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Four grandparents that emigrated from Norway in the late 1800's and homesteaded in the Westhope, ND area!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn’t give 2 shits where my ancestors yielded from, nor what they had, did, or the title.
I never could understand what doll this would play in today’s life anyway

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know that I’m Native American because of how my grandmother would talk about our high cheek bones.

C5657086-939C-4485-A471-473755716064.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldn’t give 2 shits where my ancestors yielded from, nor what they had, did, or the title.
I never could understand what doll this would play in today’s life anyway

It does matter. My ancestors immigrated from Germany to south Russia in the 1800's. They built houses villages infrastructure. Most saw the handwriting on the wall about around 1900 and got out. The fortunate ones. The ones who stayed had it rough. During WW2 the Russians knew these Germans would aid the Nazi's. So they hauled them to Siberia. In 1961 they were released but had to sign a document saying they were no longer a threat to the government, they could go back to south Russia but couldn't reclaim any of their old property. The Russians living in their homes were not happy to see them.

There was no social security or welfare so they took in laundry and did odd jobs to survive. The whole bloodline pretty much died out or was stamped out.

In this country every ethnic group who feels wronged in their past wants reparations. Therefore, I'm going to file a claim with Russia and get me some reparations. Counting my rubles now.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You darn right it matters, At least to me. I've heard lots of stories why they immigrated and what they went through.

I am lucky to have a Brother in Law that is a History buff and was just looking through our family tree book a few weeks ago and I jotted down some dates. The earliest ancestor I saw was born in 1610 and there are a couple pages of them born in 16 and 1700s Fast foreword, I was surprised that one of my Grandmas who was a Gustafson was born in ND in 1897 I Thought they all immigrated from Scandinavia The story in the book says her family moved to ND from Sweden in 1887. I found it interesting that her grandpa was killed while hauling logs with a team of oxen in a blizzard, The oxen made it home and Lars was found frozen to death.

The rest migrated here in late 1870s, My Grandpa on Dads side homesteaded in MN and moved to Turtle Mountains in 1903 and bought up land that was for sale. Grandma on Dads side was migrated to Churches ferry, Their last name was Absolonson

I try to make the best out of cabin fever and I seem to enjoy history more as I get older. Probably because I hated history when I was growing up, All I wanted to know back then is How in the hell do they land unmanned spaceships on the moon. recently watched a documentary that is well worth the time and it put into perspective just what our ancestors went through to give their future generations a better life . All I can say is we are lucky to be Americans and have no place better to go than where we are right now.

This is long but interesting, Everybody should watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea why that video doesn't start at the beginning , Or it that just on my end ? I had to rewind to the beginning on the test run.

- - - Updated - - -

My brother in law wrote the family history book the hard way back in the 80s before we had computers , He wrote many letters and took a few trips to Norway to compile all the information.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have some in my family who have gone a long ways back. Interesting ancestors but no nobility. Nobody famous by today's standards. Did have some ancestors who came to this country with very little and did turn the American dream into reality. Worked hard and eventually owned the land they settled on. Can't say I've read anything about my ancestors that I can claim as good or bad. Nobody famous or villains. Have some Scandinavian blood as well as German and some other mixtures i guess.

Claiming relatives such as Sitting Bull, etc is kind of like when I was younger. Everyone who had a German Shepard claimed their dog was related to Run Tin Tin.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone had one of those heritage DNA tests done or know anyone that has ? My Dad used to claim that my Moms Grandma was a full blood Indian but he was a jokster sometimes. My Mom seemed to be bothered by that so I never asked her about it. That doesn't matter to me but curious about those tests and what information can be had from them.

No royalty or villians in my roots that I know of , Just poor farmers looking for a better life.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be careful signing up for those ancestry sites. I heard you pretty much agree for them to access and sell all your information.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Four grandparents came from Norway, I'm FBN ... full blooded Norwegian!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of my Aunts tried to trace family about 20 years ago but due to the heavy bombing of German cities where my great-grand parents came from they hit a brick wall. I just know I am 100% kraut and stubborn as hell sometimes my heinz 57 wife says. Anything over 200 years I could care less.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as I know all my ancestors were high ranking members of Hitlers Gestapo. I thought that was the case with all white people that voted for Trump??

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
We did the high level 23andme and ancestory.com for valentine's day last year. I was pretty certain of my heritage and it was about spot on other than some English and French mixed in with what we expect was the Norwegian side. My wife's side always claimed a decent German heritage cause that's where her dad's family came from. Turned out, they weren't a lick of German. That part was askenazi Jew. Likely Jews that fled I suppose. But, it certainly explains some of her dads customs.

- - - Updated - - -

Fun topic. I found our full 23andme report interesting as hell. FWIW, if you are considering one or the other, imho, the 23andme is way better than ancestry.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Germany is in the middle of Europe. People have been traveling through from east to west and north and south for thousands' of years. To think there is a 'full blooded' German is asinine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77