Scheels brand rods warranty

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never broken a rod in my life (knock on wood)
My second and last resort with a snag is to aim rod tip at the snag and thumb the spool and pull. First resort is to bob the rod tip a few times to see if I can get the hook to back out of the snag.

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bingo Davey! I'm willing to bet abuse is probably the main culprit with rod breaks. Not saying anyone does it purposefully, just the typical bouncing around the boat/truck, occasional snag in the rod holder, accidentally stepping on them, the occasional love tap against the gunnel, net, or windshield frame and not to mention that we all string them up with the super-lines of today that are 8lb dia yet 25+lb test. I'm sure there's lots of times rods are damaged or fatigued from some prior happening that a person doesn't realize or forgets about then breaks the rod on a fish or snag and blames the rod.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never broken a rod in my life (knock on wood)
My second and last resort with a snag is to aim rod tip at the snag and thumb the spool and pull. First resort is to bob the rod tip a few times to see if I can get the hook to back out of the snag.

You need to fish more.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't broke many ice or open water rods without there being a blatant abuse case. The one that I did break for open water was a Scheels Tournament Rod on a fishing trip in SD while fighting a fish. I am not sure if it was a defect or if it got damaged prior without me knowing but it did break between the 1st and 2nd eyelets, I usually baby and take care of my gear the best I can. The salesman I was dealing with on that warranty was kind of a dink for some reason (about 6yrs ago) and was pretty much not willing to honor it until I told him I will just ask a manager. A year or two later took a buddies Scheels ice rod in that he broke on a walleye beings I was going that way and there was no issues at all, in-trade-out-done.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish don't break rods, anglers do.

Sincerely,
A guy who's replaced a lot of fly rods broken by being a dumbass

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Answer: Foot, Door, Door, Foot, Cooler and a loss of temper after losing a fish during a tournament?

What are "things that have broken my fishing rods."

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Fenwick Elite Tech rod explode into 3 pieces on a hook set several years ago. Apparently that series was know to do that because of scratches on the finish. Absolute mess landing the fish.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
loss of temper after losing a fish during a tournament

If only there was a video of that..priceless, I am sure. Did you go over the knee with it or just smack it against the side of the sparkly boat?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If only there was a video of that..priceless, I am sure. Did you go over the knee with it or just smack it against the side of the sparkly boat?

over the bow rail. It actually wasn't very violent. k[FONT=&quot]ind of similar to a golfer smacking the ground after a bad iron shot. If there's a next time, I'm going to Bo Jac[/FONT][FONT=&quot]kson it. [/FONT]

mills423

Guess I don't really buy a rod based solely on a warranty. I have several of their rods and they are good for how I fish. I'm not a tournament guy or anything like so can't really see spending the extra for Loomis or something like that. Scheels has always been very good with any issues I have had in the past - which haven't been many. They are a good community supporter. Employees are helpful and always available but not pushy. I think the warranty issue is there were to many guys abusing the service - typical few wreck it for everyone else.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of genius get a big following of your store branded equipment and sell a bunch of it with lifetime over the counter replacement warranty, next slowly start phasing out the warranty on the lower end equipment, but offer replacement price towards something higher end that still has a over the counter replacement. Now you have your higher price point equipment into the hands of someone who may have never bought a 100-200$ rod, they realize a difference in product quality and push the higher end stuff to their friends and family, that also comes with a better price markup. Now when it comes time to replace the $100-200 store branded equipment that had a lifetime warranty, you replace it with something with a 3 year warranty, then you can rebrand and choose lower price point higher markup % inventory as a way to boost your sales again for the next decade.

For what it is though scheels has been decent enough with replacement and quality that I shop there, and still buy some of their store branded stuff, but I also have slowly been phasing out all of their store branded equipment whether it be binoculars, scopes, rods, reels, etc. When you buy something that was made by a certain optics company with a lifetime warranty, but then when you go to get it replaced it is now made by a lower end company, started pushing me that direction.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have way more issues with eyelets than I do the rods themselves. Always getting them dinged, bent, or broken while putting them away or taking them out. Or the occassional stepping on them.

I've probably broken more paddlefishing rods than any other over the years. Other than my now 20 year old Ugly Stick that I use for paddlefishing, the other brands all last about 2 seasons and then inexplicably snap while ripping the hook through the water. Luckily, I've never actually broken one with a paddlefish on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76