Scheels brand rods warranty

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
When did scheels rods go to a limited 3 year warranty? Are they all that way now? I seen a few different styles at the sports show under 200$ that had the 3 year limited warranty tag on them.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last year I think. I don’t think any of them come with lifetime warranties now.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s why I like Shakespeare ugly sticks. You can fit them in a garbage can and whip a donkey and catch a 35 lb river cat and not worry about warranty.

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe they went to 3 year warranty in January of 2019. Anything bought before that still has lifetime warranty is what an associate told me.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe they went to 3 year warranty in January of 2019. Anything bought before that still has lifetime warranty is what an associate told me.

Yeah, until it breaks and they replace it with a rod that has a 3 year warranty.

I get that there was abuse. But I always figured much of that was built into the price over the years. Hopefully they start to come back down now.;)

I have owned many Scheels rods over the years. I cant say I have ever had a bad one, however on the flip side I cant say any of them turned into that "go to" rod like some other rods from manufacturers have turned into over the years.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have broke 4 rods in my life....only 1 time would I consider it the rod's fault. First, are you really concerned about the rod breaking when you buy it? And B., what are the chances it is the rod's fault? Just curious what other's experiences are.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neglect should not be covered and I think that was happening. If you want lifetime warranty, buy a USA made rod from a reputable manufacturer.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I made that mistake. Tried a Fenwick and a Scheels rod that were cheaper than I normally spend because they were just extra rods for dead sticks off the back. Only 2 rods I have ever broke simply setting the hook. Never had any problems with St. Croix or G Loomis and the price was only about $60 more. Either buy a $20 Berkley Cherrywood or dish out a little extra nd get a nice rod from a good rod company

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels is backing away from their guarantees more and more each year. Now, all you will see is a discounted price point and if you buy it, it will be yours to keep and unable to return with our short seasons (summer/winter gear). If that's the case I'll just go with the other brand names and pay the extra $30 for equipment and keep that warranty.

I've only broken two rods and one reel. Scheels handed me lower-end replacements (model was no longer carried) and expected that I'd be satisfied. Things are changing.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my life time - of fishing- i have only had one rod break for no good reason and that was when i was pulling in a fish --- brand G Loomis. I sent it in had to pay a minimal fee (i dont remember what the cost was) -- probably covered cost of postage and what the true cost of the rod was. And that rod was babied - most likely it had a defect.

The rest were all from doors, bass fishing stepping on rods etc.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both Gloomis and St. Croix has been good to me. I read Loomis changed their policy. The rods I’ve had break were typically while in travel bundled with a few rods. I’ve sent in two to Croix the last 5 years with a $20 check and I get a new rod back within about 10 days.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm willing to bet that scheels has at least 100% markup on their rods thinking they will replace 1 maybe 2 at most. I have had 3 scheels casting rods , guide series, all break in the same spot. You get to much carbon in a blank and it gets brittle. 13fishing was building their rods if I remember correctly and they are junk. I have a few scheels rods that have the lifetime warranty but they are all becoming st, croix or gloomis for basically the same money and I get lifetime warranty. Funny thing is I have a scheels guide series rod from the 90s that was supposedly built on gloomis blanks. Still one of my favorite rods.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think I have 3 or 4 "13" rods that all easily snapped like 50 year old de-hydrated little twigs but maybe not all their fault.. Watched 7-10 of my scheels rods get stepped on in the boat or broke in the back seat after a long nite at the cove, but this is what I get for bringing too damn many rods for not wanting to tie on for 4-5 different presentations and co-piloting is the way I see it. All but one of them has been salvaged/re-tipped for a spring rod or something of use.

Now that I finally moved back closer to Gods country away from the east side; a new boat with a rod locker sounds pretty damn good lol.. Broken rods are like ex-girlfriends, they all carry some kind of good story!

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
90% of the time a "warranty replacement" is your fault. If you don't like Scheel's warranty buy a G Loomis or St. Croix. Still going to cost you with shipping and other charges to send the rod to them. All my musky rods are St. Croix, never had any problem with them.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had good luck with Scheel's rods I guess. Have only had to take one back. It actually broke with a fish on but was also 17 or 18 years old. One thing about warranty on fishing rods, it isn't worth a damn whether a $20 rod or a $500 rod goes in the drink. I know a few that have had that happen. And seems generally it is never the el cheapo.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last few loomis rods I broke, cost around $100 to have them send a new one. It's been a number of years since it only cost shipping with loomis to get a new rod, guess they figured they gotta charge something to replace rods that retail for >$200 and I don't blame them. Rod locker and kids got 3 GLX's in a couple week span. Kid broke one, had the replacement 2 days later and rod locker slammed on it before I even wetted a line with it, called the lady and said I needed another rod and she said it already got shipped. She started laughing when I said it was the new one that broke. Saved a little on shipping by sending 2 broken ones back together.

My guess is 99% of broken rods are operator error, not manufacturing defect. Having lifetime warranty/free replacement for something like that doesn't make good business sense to me I guess.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cabela's rod warranty is the absolute worse and the rods are garbage imo. That's all I can add to this

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys must be setting hooks on way bigger fish than I catch because I can only think of one rod in 30+ years if fishing that legitimately broke without prior abuse, misuse, being slammed in a tail gate, or something similar. And that single rod that did break was my sons youth model el-cheepo that he got for free at the kids governors cup. Those rods were provided by Scheels so I thought I would ask the question about if they would warranty it, which they did with issue to my surprise. I was fully expecting to just buy another. otherwise I have a variety of rods including St Croix, Fennwick, Scheels, Cabella's, Ugly Sticks, Browning, some realatively cheap Shimano trolling rods and probably three or four other brands I can't think of off hand. I can't say I've had an issue with any of them however there are definitely 3 or 4 that are my go to's that just have a better feel than the others.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is trying to pull a snag/tree out abuse or normal?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74