Lake Winnipeg reports?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Well, it was a tough weekend for fishing.

The weather was beautiful, so it make being mobile real easy. We drilled and drilled, but still struggled to stay on a bite. Sounds like it was pretty slow across the lake for others too.

We got on at Prudens, that access was in real good condition the whole weekend.

We tried anywhere from 8ft under the ice to 21ft under the ice. Not much for action on spoons, rippin raps were the way to go. Chrome/flashy seemed to work the best probably due to the bright sun all weekend.

Saturday we didn't get on anything big, and Sunday we got 3, a 25.5, 28.5, and 29...and by "we", I mean my 2 buddies and not me. Goddamn winnipeg got me again. One of these times I'm gonna get into something decent up there.

Still with beautiful weather and the ability to be mobile we had a blast hopping from spot to spot on the ice. Hopefully I can get up there into march when the bite heats up.

Upnorth

Just to clarify about the bait.... we actually got govt to change a rule in 4 days. They received a couple thousand emails and phone calls about the frozen minnow tickets. The new rules are as follows: frozen bait is exempt from the disposal at shore rule, provided: the bait is commercially prepared, and has not come into contact with lake water. So as long as your not using lake water to thaw minnows, you can take them off the ice. Live minnows must be dumped on ice or shore, before leaving the lake. No exceptions.

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to clarify about the bait.... we actually got govt to change a rule in 4 days. They received a couple thousand emails and phone calls about the frozen minnow tickets. The new rules are as follows: frozen bait is exempt from the disposal at shore rule, provided: the bait is commercially prepared, and has not come into contact with lake water. So as long as your not using lake water to thaw minnows, you can take them off the ice. Live minnows must be dumped on ice or shore, before leaving the lake. No exceptions.

I am reading this right? So buying the live minnows at the bait store up there and getting the paperwork with them you still need to throw away extra minnows when you leave the lake and not be able to keep them for the next day? Can you still buy live minnows up there?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am reading this right? So buying the live minnows at the bait store up there and getting the paperwork with them you still need to throw away extra minnows when you leave the lake and not be able to keep them for the next day? Can you still buy live minnows up there?

Yes, you can still get live minnows and yes, you need to dump them before leaving the lake. Don't wast your loonies on them, salties work just as good in my experience.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the government figured out a way to get into the bait business. What a joke. Oh well, I guess we've always caught more with live minnows- most likely due to using them more. Must be running out of ways to pay for free healthcare ;:;rofl

Upnorth

Sounds like the government figured out a way to get into the bait business. What a joke. Oh well, I guess we've always caught more with live minnows- most likely due to using them more. Must be running out of ways to pay for free healthcare ;:;rofl
It was more ambiguity in the law. It said, all bait must be disposed of in AIS control zones. It’s middle level burocrats who refused to budge. Once the minister got involved, she was pissed.

wirehare

if the laws about bait are such a issue chase all those big walleye south of the border they are just trying to protect the fishery for everyone to enjoy for years i agree they seem crazy but the cost of bait I'm sure is the cheapest part of the trip

Founding Member
Founding Member
We always get a kick out of Winnipeg greenback trophy pics.

Last edited:

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any reports or groups heading up next week? We are leaving Friday, been a few years so hope to find a few big ones.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75