Big Paddlefish

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Most likely done by measurements. But hey at least it's a catch and release world record

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shoulda put it in one of those sunken cage things the tournament fishermen use and retrieved it the next day.... ;)

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imagine if we could fish out of boats for these giants.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always some getting snagged from boats on Sakakawea and in the tailrace. Major line peelers whilst pulling cranks

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always some getting snagged from boats on Sakakawea and in the tailrace. Major line peelers whilst pulling cranks

Yep, I've caught a number of them while pulling cranks on the Missouri R. near/in Bismarck. A salmon will peel some line as well, but there's nothing like snagging a paddlefish while pulling cranks for a little excitement.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught one in Wolf Creek trolling cranks behind a boat, and was on a boat where one was landed at the tail race. No, it's obviously not the target species, but both are stories that I know I'll remember until I die.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Yep, I've caught a number of them while pulling cranks on the Missouri R. near/in Bismarck. A salmon will peel some line as well, but there's nothing like snagging a paddlefish while pulling cranks for a little excitement.

Better yet. Try it with 4 lb Crystal Fire Line and a jig.#$%^&>

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better yet. Try it with 4 lb Crystal Fire Line and a jig.#$%^&>

Maybe 14 years ago I caught a HUGE female paddlefish on a small floating jig tipped with crawler. Only thing I can think of is that it accidentally ingested the setup while filter feeding.

I chased that fish back and forth across the river with my electric over the course of about an hour until I was able to retrieve my $0.05 jig. There were a few people up at Hoge Island that came out of their houses that morning as they were curious as what the hell I was doing.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d be curious to know what the measurements of the actual world record was. The word “record” gets thrown around loosely when the fish is released and never weighed.

- - - Updated - - -

They definitely hang around north Of Bismarck. Must be a spawning area for them in the spring.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75