35 Trespassing Violations in 2019

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trespassing in ND is just SO MINUSCULE, that to even say it's an issue is questionable, but to say it's an issue needing legislative attention is laughable. 35 citations is a FACT. No probably be, may be, might be, could be, possibly be, or anything else. It's 35. My point is that trespassing isn't an issue worthy of an additional statute or code making all of ND posted. I have evidence, facts, and data to prove my point. What do you have to prove your point other than your opinion, guesswork, and speculation??

Respect your ideas on many topics, so no interest in arguing, but we obviously disagree on the amount of trespassing taking place. Understandable considering different parts of the state it may be different. The fact is many people are sick of dealing with trespassers every year. Dismissing this fact as not believable just means the trespass law will keep coming up. As stated earlier, I’m not a fan of a no-trespass law but I do understand why it gets some support. As a side note, your number of 35 isn’t really accurate. That’s only criminal trespass citations and if I read it correctly does not include “hunting on posted land” violations.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck trying to get enough hunters to go along with that plan. The deer would get eradicated one way or the other if there became an overpopulation problem. Would be a lot of coyote bait laying around. Farmers, ranchers, landowners, will protect their livelihood.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t say it would. Point was....only 35 citations written doesn’t mean there isn’t a trespassing issue in ND. There absolutely is!

Then why are you a "Lock Out Lover"?

love that one KDM

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I listened to one of the early meetings. The committee surely believes there is a problem they need to solve. When Steinwand pointed out the miniscule percentage of trespass violations compared to hunters, the head dude jumped on him and pointed out that the percent they are concerned with is 100%, which is the percentage of landowners that have had a run in.....ever. Hard to argue with logic like that. :::

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know this is a trespassing post but what would happen if we all quit deer hunting for a few years? Would the herds increase on posted land resulting in more "unposted" land eventually open for access?
Do you ever see the deer numbers increase on heavily posted land from year to year?
The landowner property in ND is capable of sustaining alot more deer numbers on their properties than currently are. We shouldn't bother landowners, and let them tend to the deer management as they choose if numbers actually increase.
Hunting isn't required to manage the herd, the numbers of deer will flucuate based on environment conditions. Hunting is a very small part of game management. I'm willing to call for an experimental cease fire to all deer hunting for a few years to see what develops. Would CWD increase and spread?

i have read some stuff on here that has made me say what the fuck did i just read? This takes the cake.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All land posted would benefit me maybe as it would open more land up to me that in theory no one else is to hunt on. Have no problem in asking and have found the vast bulk of landowners will let me on. But only bow hunt so it takes a lot of work, time and expense besides just getting permission to hunt on the land in order to bow hunt successfully over a period of time.

However i vote no to all land posted and plan to vote no for one of those guys pushing this agenda this year. The sign does not stop a lot of people so not sure how a law will stop them. In order to keep them off my spots I need to have other spots available for them to hunt legally. db

Son and I have been hunting for the last maybe 15 years on this one person's land plus have other land with plots. As far as I know we where the only ones hunting on it or allow on it. Posted. Put a fair amount of time and expense into developing this spot not only for us but for him to as he did sit in our stand also. Part of our job was to keep other hunters off the land as he wanted it but had a hard time telling them no. Today he told us to move on. It appears someone else offer him a better deal than just being a friend or at least I thought we were and I am sure we still are.
Thank him for the time he allow us, the great pictures we have and the numerous sheds we have found. Over that time my son shot his first deer with the bow at a young age and this past year my granddaughter shot her first deer with the bow on this land. That was about the extend of the harvest over that time.
It was good and now to move on. Not sure if this has anything to do with trespassing but all part of the memories. Nice to own the land and not depend on someone giving one permission. db

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an guy in my place a couple months ago before he went south for the winter and he said something that made a guy think. "Things sure have changed when it comes to people being allowed to hunt on private land. I used to get my deer right away and had no problem with other folks putting one in the freezer also. I'm not sure if it's the distance between the guys that started the farm and the guys that had it given to them but my kids lock that gate like it's their bathroom door and I'm afraid the grand kids will be worse." I don't have a dog in this fight directly anyway but I still feel the same way I did last year. ND wants to go to the block management/G&F pays landowners for hunter access just like MT and it's being disguised as a trespass problem. Certainly with a landowners right to want something for people recreating on their land but hunters and nonhunting taxpayers alike hold quite a few cards here as well.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
100% agree. Don’t be misled into thinking this is a minor issue because only 35 citations were written. Some landowners probably had that many violations on their property alone during the season. Some signs had to be put up 2 and 3 times during the year because of being ripped down. Not a fan of a no trespass law, but trespassing happens A LOT because most of the time people are never caught and they get by with it. You cant be everywhere at once and just don’t always see it at the time it’s happening.
I don’t think anyone said that trespassing wasn’t an issue in ND. What most have said on this site is that changing the law to no trespass wouldn’t prevent these incidents from happening. If landowners are not taking the time to turn people in now, they won’t be turning them in if the law was changed. Make the law more severe and maybe less people will take the risk!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t say it would. Point was....only 35 citations written doesn’t mean there isn’t a trespassing issue in ND. There absolutely is!

Exactly.

If you want to see something really pathetic look at the game and fish violations for a year.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The most common violations and number issued were:

• Licensing (496): failure to carry license (240); and hunting/fishing/trapping without proper license (213).
  • Fishing (475): exceeding limit (158); aquatic nuisance species violations (153); and fishing with excessive lines (48).
  • Boating (422): inadequate number of personal flotation devices (206); failure to display boat registration (49); and use of unlicensed/unnumbered boat (49).
  • General (289): hunting on posted land without permission (67); loaded firearm in vehicle (54); littering (37); and use of motor vehicle in restricted area (37).
  • Small game (280): using shotgun capable of holding more than three shells (74); failure to leave identification of sex on game (33); and hunting in unharvested field (28).
  • Miscellaneous (160): minor in possession (40); criminal trespass (35); and possession of a controlled substance (28).
  • Big game (91): tagging violations (27); chronic wasting disease violations (19); and failure to wear fluorescent orange (17).
  • Wildlife management areas/refuge (76): failure to obey posted regulations (31); tree stand violations (17); and possession of glass beverage containers (14).
  • Furbearer (25): harassing with motor vehicle (5); hunting/trapping in a closed season (5); and untagged snares (4).

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, 67 “hunting trespass” and 35 “criminal trespass” for a total of 102 cases overall. Averages out to about two per county. Something isn’t adding up here for the amounts of complaints received on here and other forums/sites about the amount of trespass that is actually happening.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
The complete list:
Should have been a fine and loss of privileges for a year, at least. Result a bunch of assholes out of the field.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’d also like to see the number of cases that were reported vs. number of convictions. The number of reposted cases could be very telling. I for one do not think it’s ok for landowners to cop out with “there’s tons of trespassing, we just handle it ourselves”. That accomplishes nothing.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 100% against the everything posted idea.

With that being said I bet there is close to 35 cases of trespassing per day In the state during rifle season and/or pheasant season that nobody knows about. Most probably "minor" things like crossing private to get to public, walking a small bush 40 yards into posted land in the middle of nowhere on a long walk, shooting cocks in the ditch, shooting a deer just on the opposite side of the fence and so on

- - - Updated - - -

Then I bet across the entire state there is 1-5 deer per day of rifle season shot on posted from the road. Shoot, load and drive like hell

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, 67 “hunting trespass” and 35 “criminal trespass” for a total of 102 cases overall. Averages out to about two per county. Something isn’t adding up here for the amounts of complaints received on here and other forums/sites about the amount of trespass that is actually happening.

It’s happening out there but 1. Landowners are not bothering to call it in, or 2. It’s happening when no one is there to catch them.

But the main point is either way it won’t change a thing and neither will a clunky app. Landowners need to start calling it in trespassers just like they are going to need to do if everything is posted!

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Posting land has become a " mentally" over everything else.
There were WAY more people hunting 30 years ago then now, yet seldom did you see a posted sign.
The new generation of " inherited the land"

Oh shit....., Zip it;:;badidea

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what I just can’t wrap myself around in this whole thing is why on earth landowners want to drive a wedge between them and everyone else in the state over a problem that essentially doesn’t even exist. There is obviously a hidden agenda. A couple have pointed out some possibilities. I just cannot fathom why the hell they would want to do that. They piss and moan when extremists want to bring laws that hit them right in the heart of their trade. Yet want to kick the very people right in the nuts that support and defend them against these extremists. And we subsidize the shit out of their way of life. They used to appreciate it but now we’re a necessary evil that they want to treat like red headed step children.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76