35 Trespassing Violations in 2019

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW!! A whole 35 cases of criminal trespass according to the NDGF released information for 2019 across the entire state. Where is this Tsunami of Trespassing we are allegedly having in ND??? Come on you members of the SB 2315 panic party, where are these armies of inconsiderate hunters?? Tell me again "Lock Out" lovers, about these epic waves of inconsideration so apocalyptic that all landowners must be protected from it's devastation. A couple hundred thousand hunters and sportsmen went afield for an entire year, and 35 went where they weren't supposed to go, got caught, and were prosecuted. Tell me again why all private land NEEDS to be posted???

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many weren’t turned in but received a$$ chewings and or didn’t get caught ? Bet the number of non turn ins was way higher than 35

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that I think the law is fine and should not be changed

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many weren’t turned in but received a$$ chewings and or didn’t get caught ? Bet the number of non turn ins was way higher than 35

- - - Updated - - -

Having said that I think the law is fine and should not be changed

By that account, the argument for changing the laws is even weaker.

"So you don't even go through the proper channels now to prosecute trespassers? Than how do you know the laws need to change if you're not utilizing them currently?"

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
it would be an interesting number, X% prosecuted of what amount? of reported to LE, of witnessed? of actual incidents that only god knows about. Google doesn't have this power yet.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
“There not gunna do anything to them anyway!” It’s always the excuse. Funny thing is that’s the exact excuse people give for not calling in crackheads but bitching about the drug problem later. Kinda hard to hold enforcement accountable when there aren’t any real calls on record.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who has a list of every state legislator that supported this last time? Election season is getting near we must vote these people out

- - - Updated - - -

When are the primary's? Get them out that way first

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Less than one per county. That’s interesting.

I’ll give some benefit of the doubt and say often times the trespasser isn’t caught by law enforcement or landowner. Most landowners can’t keep an on all their land all the time. They just see evidence of the trespass later, gut piles, garbage, etc. But changing the presumption of access wouldn’t fix that anyway.

Founding Member
Founding Member
100% agree. Don’t be misled into thinking this is a minor issue because only 35 citations were written. Some landowners probably had that many violations on their property alone during the season. Some signs had to be put up 2 and 3 times during the year because of being ripped down. Not a fan of a no trespass law, but trespassing happens A LOT because most of the time people are never caught and they get by with it. You cant be everywhere at once and just don’t always see it at the time it’s happening.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
100% agree. Don’t be misled into thinking this is a minor issue because only 35 citations were written. Some landowners probably had that many violations on their property alone during the season. Some signs had to be put up 2 and 3 times during the year because of being ripped down. Not a fan of a no trespass law, but trespassing happens A LOT because most of the time people are never caught and they get by with it. You cant be everywhere at once and just don’t always see it at the time it’s happening.

So how is a No-Tresspass law going to stop it!!??

Founding Member
Founding Member
So how is a No-Tresspass law going to stop it!!??

Didn’t say it would. Point was....only 35 citations written doesn’t mean there isn’t a trespassing issue in ND. There absolutely is!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

and sometimes trespassing can be a non violation. I had an incident with a young farmer all because I stopped to look at a posted sign. He didn't press charges and I didn't press charges under the "harassment of hunter" grounds. Not sure where all this is going to head, but the good old days are a faint blip in the mirror, no longer are respectful people in every vehicle on either side of the situation. Pat yourselves on the back all you want, but the changing nature of human interaction is hard to reverse.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t say it would. Point was....only 35 citations written doesn’t mean there isn’t a trespassing issue in ND. There absolutely is!

Trespassing in ND is just SO MINUSCULE, that to even say it's an issue is questionable, but to say it's an issue needing legislative attention is laughable. 35 citations is a FACT. No probably be, may be, might be, could be, possibly be, or anything else. It's 35. My point is that trespassing isn't an issue worthy of an additional statute or code making all of ND posted. I have evidence, facts, and data to prove my point. What do you have to prove your point other than your opinion, guesswork, and speculation??

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Make it known that if you are caught tresspassing you lose your hunting and fishing rights for 5 years. That will make those morons think twice. Make the penalties way harsher and it will definately slow it down.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is always annoying about these laws is they simply make criminals out of the honest people and the low lifes don't care anyway. I think back to when i was a kid learning to fish and canoe in the local areas and realize how many times i "broke the law" under this ruling. When your a kid you don't have the know how, information, or will power to go calling people every time you want to do something outdoorsy.
I did some stream fishing in Alaska and found out how bad it is fishing in a over regulated place. Their rule book was the size of a small novel and it was only for the Keni district. We got our butts royally chewed while fishing in legal area because the local landowner didn't want us near his property. We left just to keep the peace.
I also lived in Ohio for a while and found out how tough it is to to do anything when you have no local contacts. Their was a beautiful water fall with some great fishing about a mile from my house but no access. I only fished it once because my landlord knew some old lady well enough that she let us walk a few hundred feet across here property. Most of the locals I talked to knew of it but nobody had been there in years since the access point was posted.
One of my favorite places to fish on a local stream got posted last year. I don't fish there much anymore, but I have several nephews that I am trying to bring up to be outdoors men. It was an easy place to catch catfish, drum, suckers, goldeye, and even an occasional walleye. I saw a lot of kids there over the years. I have no idea who owns the land or even how to find out. I actually thought the land was owned by the town until the signs went up. I can only imagine how tough it would be if that was the case for every place i fished as kid that wasn't directly on a road.
There is local area that is great for hiking. I have taken quite a few young people back there to experience some "non flat North Dakota", and it was pretty great seeing kids that normally would never do something like that having that much fun hiking old cattle trails over the bluffs and stream. Some friends wanted to do the same thing but decided to find the owner of the pasture area just to be sure it was okay. Nice of them right? Well yes, but the owner said he would rather they didn't for liability reasons. I guess he didn't want sued if some dummy fell down a bluff with his permission. I wonder how many landowners would feel the same way?
I grew up teaching myself how to enjoy the outdoors with some friends close to my age. I didn't have a dad who would teach me the ways of the outdoors, and I bet most of my fishing, canoeing, hiking, frog catching, shed hunting, and such involved somebodies unposted land. I can promise you we would have done a lot less if we had to try and find the owners and call them every time. I really hate to see legislation passed that makes it harder for young people to enjoy the outdoors in this day of modern entertainment when they have so many easy alternatives to become the conservationist of tomorrow.

Last edited:

Redneck1

I know this is a trespassing post but what would happen if we all quit deer hunting for a few years? Would the herds increase on posted land resulting in more "unposted" land eventually open for access?
Do you ever see the deer numbers increase on heavily posted land from year to year?
The landowner property in ND is capable of sustaining alot more deer numbers on their properties than currently are. We shouldn't bother landowners, and let them tend to the deer management as they choose if numbers actually increase.
Hunting isn't required to manage the herd, the numbers of deer will flucuate based on environment conditions. Hunting is a very small part of game management. I'm willing to call for an experimental cease fire to all deer hunting for a few years to see what develops. Would CWD increase and spread?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know this is a trespassing post but what would happen if we all quit deer hunting for a few years? Would the herds increase on posted land resulting in more "unposted" land eventually open for access?
Do you ever see the deer numbers increase on heavily posted land from year to year?
The landowner property in ND is capable of sustaining alot more deer numbers on their properties than currently are. We shouldn't bother landowners, and let them tend to the deer management as they choose if numbers actually increase.
Hunting isn't required to manage the herd, the numbers of deer will flucuate based on environment conditions. Hunting is a very small part of game management. I'm willing to call for an experimental cease fire to all deer hunting for a few years to see what develops. Would CWD increase and spread?

OOOOO Boy, this is a good one for another thread. LOTS to kick around here, but it would be a GIANT game of "What if".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75