Walleye Trolling Direction Matters?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
This is something I have been researching, and looking into for awhile. I am curious as to what others think.

I have read multiple articles from pros, stating that one key part to being successful with walleye is understanding current, even in a lake. This made me think about how, quite often, a guy will catch fish pretty well in one direction, then cruise back through the same area in the opposite direction, and catch nothing, or maybe pick one off.

My thoughts on this:

The wind creates a current under water, or maybe "current" isn't quite right, but rather, it causes things to float in the direction of the wind. The walleye, in general, point themselves into that direction.

This is not a hard and fast rule, but something to be mindful of, for me. As a general rule, I highly prefer to be fishing with the wind.

Has anyone else felt like this has been true for them? You catch fish one way better than the other? Thoughts on this?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer fishing into the wind for boat control purposes but I’ve had days where both have outfished the other.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trolling, under power, has always been better for me into the wind. I always have figured it's from better boat and speed control. Also have thought the boat doesn't spook them as much. Don't seem to have near the success trolling under power with the wind. Of course, if there's enough wind I'll drift back. Usually more effective than trolling. I'm talking pulling rigs. Not a crankbaiter.

eliminator

Honored Member
I agree with most of the above but for me I think it is more about the boat control and into the wind you definitely have the advantage there with location and speed control. I think this is especially important to me when you are shallower----I do think there are multiple factors each time you are out there tho. Things like depth, length behind the boat and how aggressive the bite is that day. Some days it doesn't make a bit of difference---those are usually the easy days. You usually find out by trial and error each time out. About the time you think you have it all figured out, you know what happens----you usually end up looking like the fool haha

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most days you will catch them in one direction. More often it’s with the wind. Especially drifting. Days were hammering fish drifting we seldom catch any trolling back into the wind. But there are certainly days it doesn’t matter.

Bob Erfish

Honored Member
Whatever direction gives you the best speed and boat control, that is , in my opinion is far more important than direction. Just one mans opinion though

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My opinion... da reason you guys are catching em with the wind is cause you are going to slow into it. I am not a slow moving Fisher person. I think they like those trolling baits moving a bit faster than most.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I like about going into the wind is it's a lot easier to back up to get snags loose.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most days you will catch them in one direction. More often it’s with the wind. Especially drifting. Days were hammering fish drifting we seldom catch any trolling back into the wind. But there are certainly days it doesn’t matter.

Kind of what I have found too, I usually end up using the big motor and go out and around and back upwind of the area I am drifting . Seems like If I troll against the wind the fish spook off the structure within a couple passes .

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as fishing, I let the fish decide. I have a kicker so going into the wind is an option. Depending how the wind is blowing on the structure I'm trying to fish, and how hard it's blowing factor into it. Without a kicker the decision is pretty much made for you.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many, many times on the river I'm floating downstream with the current and pick up my fish. I then pull out and run back north to a similar entrance angle and start all over. Going against the current doesn't bode as well for picking up the fish. So, what you're saying about current seams to be true when on a system such as a river. I don't know why that same philosophy wouldn't be similar on a breezy day at the lake.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never figured out a correlation, I've picked up fish going both into and with the wind. Kind of depends on what mood the fish are in and whether they want it slower or faster. Either way when trolling don't forget to zig and zag like a drunk after closing time. That'll trigger more bites then running a straight troll.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the river in general, and definitely in the tailrace, we pick up a lot of our fish drifting with the current. If we trolled downstream, I feel we'd miss fish by going by them too fast.

I think it's no secret that the fish aim their bodies "upstream" or "up-current". It seems then, that drifting with the current makes the most sense.

However, in the fast water at the race, and south in the slower water, trolling (pulling stick-baits or slow-death rigs) up stream seems to work. I guess, even while we're moving through the water quickly, we are barely moving upstream. A fish has plenty of time to strike (or say "meh").

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
During the 2000's when Oahe was at it's lowest I was forced to fish current. I found that if trolling cranks, the ONLY way to troll them was into current or upstream. Current was so strong I could use my 175 hp motor LOL. Burned a ton of gas but it was worth it!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never figured out a correlation, I've picked up fish going both into and with the wind. Kind of depends on what mood the fish are in and whether they want it slower or faster. Either way when trolling don't forget to zig and zag like a drunk after closing time. That'll trigger more bites then running a straight troll.
I should note this is strictly lake fishing with no current but wave action. I rarely boat fish rivers.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know the "why" behind it, but yes, I have had days where you definitely can only catch them going a specific direction.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know the "why" behind it, but yes, I have had days where you definitely can only catch them going a specific direction.

I've had days like that, but I can't remember which direction was better on what days. I know when its really blowing, you almost have to go with the wind. I'll put the kicker in reverse to slow us down, If i'm going too fast.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77