Vizsla Trainers

Deaner&terry

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any good recommendations on vizsla trainers in North Dakota? Primary focus would be upland hunting.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sent both of my dogs to Ivy League dog training in Walcott, ND. It was nice to get them started there, but I think the time you spend working with them is the most important aspect to their growth. With that said, Ivy League helped me become better as well so I could avoid certain mistakes.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Griff also went to Karl at Ivy League. I only have good things to say about them.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog also went to Karl @ Ivy League. I really enjoyed the few hours he spent with us when she was done teaching us how to continue with her. After two kids, new businesses and life I can't say I've done a good job keeping up with it but he will give you the tools to do so.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Karl talked about poodles being an ancient breed with an ancient circling hunting style or some such.

I guess they were bred to flush critters pre-gun era (falconry - and sling shots - ha ha).

Perfect fit for guywhowalksslowly.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent my vizla to ivy league also. She was very timid of gunshots and he had that cured in a week. The day I picked her up I found out how high vizlas can jump. Karl and I were talking in the front of the place as she jumped his 6foot fence to come say high.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent my vizla to ivy league also. She was very timid of gunshots and he had that cured in a week. The day I picked her up I found out how high vizlas can jump. Karl and I were talking in the front of the place as she jumped his 6foot fence to come say high.
We have to get the sisters together at some point.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on where you are located, look at joining a local NAVHDA group and train yourself. I believe Minot, Bismarck, and Fargo have chapters. They hold summer training nights every other week and there are some very knowledgeable folks that are members. They also have training grounds available for use. Whatever you do, get your dog on LIVE birds. Pigeons, chukars, etc. You need to get your pup on live birds for training, especially pointing/versatile breeds.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am with blues man -- that was the only way. Remember they actually come trained - - its just a matter of bringing out the inherited traits and using them. Some have traits that others dont have -- its like a buying a new truck and not being tought how to run the electronics -- you have to play around and find out what you have.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the navdah nights. They were really beneficial in the very beginning. And it gets your dogs socialized with other dogs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75