Cormorants

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Please get rid of these birds. They absolutely decimate the fish populations and we don’t really see the impact now with all the water around. Once the dry years kick in it might be ugly dealing with these birds.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if I could run an M134 electric Gatling gun off of 2 trolling batteries? I also wonder if there’s a way to mount that M134 into a boat seat base?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whilst sitting in a tree, a 22-250 shooting 45 grain Winchester white box ammo can make for a spectacular display of " holy shit, did you see that"
An old deceased friend told me that:cool:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF there were only two cormorants left in the world....I'd shoot one.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whilst sitting in a tree, a 22-250 shooting 45 grain Winchester white box ammo can make for a spectacular display of " holy shit, did you see that"
An old deceased friend told me that:cool:

That same combo is even more spectacular on prairie dogs. Some times there's not enough parts left to tell what it was.

- - - Updated - - -

IF there were only two cormorants left in the world....I'd shoot one.

I'd kill them both and put ten through the nest just to be sure.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just green light shooting them from moving boats. It would be a great way to spend a Sunday.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting reading. How long will it take to get any change through the court system? On the plus side, does anyone know of anyone who has been charged with killing cormorants? I'm sure it has happened but I'm thinking it's not a priority for many wardens. Not urging anyone to knowingly break the law but maybe we could have a season on Norwegian Honkers in the near future. Preferably before the liberals figure out what they are.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^ My apologies to Ole and Lena. ^^^

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those unwilling to read such densely worded policy, the alternatives they're looking at compared to the no action alternative are:

(1) Establish a new permit for State wildlife agencies for authorizing certain cormorant management and control activities that are normally prohibited and are intended to relieve or prevent impacts from cormorants on wild and stocked fisheries, aquaculture facilities, human health and safety, property, and threatened and endangered species (as listed under the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.)). States would have the delegated authority to determine whether, when, where, and for what purposes to control cormorants within limits set by the Service.
(2) Establish an aquaculture depredation order, which would allow take of cormorants under prescribed conditions at aquaculture facilities without the need to acquire an individual permit.
(3) Both (1) and (2) in combination.

If you've noticed a remarkable decline in the quality of a recreational fishery in the last X years, or any other adverse impact to a fishery, and you think it's due to cormorant population increase, comment on this! It's your right and duty as an American to take an active role as a stakeholder. Or just complain on Nodak and yuck it up about practicing the three S's. Either way is good with me.

Hot tips from the feds on how to get your comment noticed:

a. Be as succinct as possible.
b. Be specific. Comments supported by logic, rationale, and citations are more useful than opinions.
c. State suggestions and recommendations clearly with an expectation of what you would like the Service to do.
d. If you propose an additional alternative for consideration, please provide supporting rationale and why you believe it to be a reasonable alternative that would meet the purpose and need for our proposed action.
e. If you provide alternate interpretations of science, please support your analysis with appropriate citations.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here in minnesnowta we had issues with these trash birds and tree huggers trying to save them on our Leech lake data showed cormmie feeding effect on the walleye population based on dead birds collected AVG walleye consumption was one pound per bird

first in order to make resident rest easy dnr shooters used pellet rifles on a trashy island that had around 500 nesting pairs,they shot a few but the birds wised up quick,boats couldn't get within 100yds before birds took flight,so scratch pellet guns,then .22's at night...that was a bingo,last I read they wasted about 300 birds before a class action suit stopped the hunt,one warden told me birds collected had and average of 1 pound of walleye fillets in its stomach,dead birds collected piled up on shore for critters to eat none did so they had to bury them.... to this day by shooting nesting pairs were scattered to nearby lakes messing them up as well.

Side note about sportsmen shooting them,wilst hunting in western minn years back,I had hunters on my private land pass shooting geese coming off a nearby river/refuge(lac qui parle) on the minnesota river as I watched the geese come out to feed a couple low flying cormies came over the sky busters,one dropped in tall crp field,so I walked over to visit with the shooters,asked what they shot as they looked for a downed honker...haha my dog fetched up the critter told the guyz they were protected and usfw were watching us that moment,pointed out a truck on a nearby hillside they freaked out thinking jail they took the cormie to our local game warden head quarters nearby and pleaded insanity as they told me when they returned,whoever they talked to laughed told them to work on idenifing birds better,no ticket just conversation

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way back when a former co-worker had worked a summer to two @ Garrisons fish hatchery. At that time they were allowed to do some culling of Cormorants and gulls. He claims that coyotes would come in and eat the dead gulls but NOTHING would eat the Cormorants, nothing. Not coyotes, skunks, raccoons, nothing until the maggots hatched.

You gotta be some kinda nasty when coyotes, raccoons, and skunks won't eat your dead carcass. BLECH!!!!!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder if I could run an M134 electric Gatling gun off of 2 trolling batteries? I also wonder if there’s a way to mount that M134 into a boat seat base?

Don't forget to rig up an overboard dump chute for the gun and a way to tow your ammo boat and a couple of spare batteries.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
so If I shoot about twenty of them and no one saw it, did I really shoot them? Asking for a friend

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget to rig up an overboard dump chute for the gun and a way to tow your ammo boat and a couple of spare batteries.

I'm not dumping brass overboard!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76