Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 25
      Given: 1

Spring snows

Sounds like they are pushing hard in SD, wont be long.Lot of snow over east yet.They could slide west this year.

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 249
      Given: 48
      Just last week I was down through Mitchell to Grand Island Ne the west to Scottsbluff and back up through Pierre. Nebraska had a ton of Canadian geese but never saw a single snow.

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 544
      Given: 1,205
      I've seen nothing in the De smet , Huron , Mitchell , Miller area yet way to much white stuff on the ground

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,344
      Given: 536
      nothin showin up south of lincoln neb yet(rain water basin) ,word from AR its game on,so missouri should lite up soon,squaw creek refuge is still locked up to date but the river south of omaha is open from the power plants

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #5
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 177
      Given: 7
      Just like last yr, They wont be here till late March early April.

1 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #6
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 25
      Given: 1
      SD is LOADED,temps in the 50s for the next 2 weeks.Snows will be here by this weekend.

0 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting

Mood:
      Piratey

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,950
      Given: 2,682
      Quote Originally Posted by snowkiller View Post
      SD is LOADED,temps in the 50s for the next 2 weeks.Snows will be here by this weekend.

If temps hold i bet by mid week they hit the nd border. snow is going fast and water is flowing

0 Not allowed!
      Killing with the 6.5 creedmoor before you even new what it was.

8. Back To Top    #8
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,288
      Given: 2,314
      Quote Originally Posted by 1lessdog View Post
      Just like last yr, They wont be here till late March early April.
      Care to place money on that one. Nothing but forties and fifties in the forecast and a clear path on the westside the birds will likely be smacking the Border by The weekend.

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      these warm temps surely will get the first mass moving early this spring,but I'll wait for the lolly gaggers to start ,then I''ll wander towards central south dakota late march maybe unless another big ass snow storm comes along.gotta think ponds ,lakes are still locked up even with these temps ? curious if the crops came down in south dakota yet as we hunted standing corn in december with 3' drifts.

0 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #10
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 177
      Given: 7
      Quote Originally Posted by snowkiller View Post

Good Morning,

Currently, we are not observing any snow geese at Sand Lake. Very small flocks have been noted near Pierre, SD and Webster, SD over the past weekend. The Refuge remains snow and ice covered, so we do not expect large influxes of geese in the immediate future. However, the weather forecast for this area is supposed to be mild and sunny for the next week, so the birds could move into the area once we lose some of our snow cover and water opens up.

There will be a migration update posted on our website sometime this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning - we will continue posting updates there as significant changes occur, but always feel free to contact our office with questions!

Thank you,

Kalee Dennert
      Sand Lake NWR

1 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
      these warm temps surely will get the first mass moving early this spring,but I'll wait for the lolly gaggers to start ,then I''ll wander towards central south dakota late march maybe unless another big ass snow storm comes along.gotta think ponds ,lakes are still locked up even with these temps ? curious if the crops came down in south dakota yet as we hunted standing corn in december with 3' drifts.
      If the latter half of this forecast turns out to be accurate (which as far out as it is is Highly Questionable) that is one ice pack destroying sob. Daytime highs in the 50s and overnight lows above freezing will chew through ice in a big hurry. If it turns out to be accurate I would suspect that this weekend will be the last weekend of ice fishing around Bismarck for the non-suicidal crowd.

Name:  Screenshot_20200302-122616.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  66.5 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1lessdog View Post
      Good Morning,

Currently, we are not observing any snow geese at Sand Lake. Very small flocks have been noted near Pierre, SD and Webster, SD over the past weekend. The Refuge remains snow and ice covered, so we do not expect large influxes of geese in the immediate future. However, the weather forecast for this area is supposed to be mild and sunny for the next week, so the birds could move into the area once we lose some of our snow cover and water opens up.

There will be a migration update posted on our website sometime this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning - we will continue posting updates there as significant changes occur, but always feel free to contact our office with questions!

Thank you,

Kalee Dennert
      Sand Lake NWR

Yeah but what about where the snows would actually be right now I.E. south of 90 in the Mitchell to yankton run! Kaylee seems to paying attention to the areas that fall into the land of no duh there's no snow geese there! But the mention of Pierre having snows definitely lends Credence to a possible Westward shift.

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #12
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting

Mood:
      Piratey

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Firsts small flock over mobridge as we speak

1 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #13
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 432
      Given: 1,245
      Started seeing flocks snow geese down here in NE just this past week. I am on the edge of where they typically migrate through. It does not surprise me that wrkn2hnt didn't see many on his trip. Grand Island would usually have some, but the farther west you go in NE the less snows you typically see. Grew up north of Ogallala and rarely saw snow geese. Hope you guys get some good shooting in!

0 Not allowed!
      There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not Man the less, but Nature more. -Lord Byron

14. Back To Top    #14
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 493
      Given: 450
      Classifieds
      not a snow but saw a huge grande canadian goose this morning on 6 mile bay devils lake

0 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #15
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      WTF!?

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,966
      Given: 8,443
      It has been a nice enough winter here, that there has been a butt load of mallards and some Canadian geese keeping water open between landings 1 and 2 up at Lake Darling northwest of Minot. Seen Canadian geese all he way up to Bottineau on Saturday.

0 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #16
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      dean nelson quote:If the latter half of this forecast turns out to be accurate (which as far out as it is is Highly Questionable) that is one ice pack destroying sob. Daytime highs in the 50s and overnight lows above freezing will chew through ice in a big hurry. If it turns out to be accurate I would suspect that this weekend will be the last weekend of ice fishing around Bismarck for the non-suicidal crow

agreed,warm temps wind will knock the pack down quick plus any liquid precip will chew it up pronto,buddy (outfitter) message stated they are pulling stakes in AR,heading to St Jo MO to set up shop,white devils are on the move big time.that was yesterday,on the fence about heading down tomorrow,layed out my hunting gear,cloths last night,my pup slept on my pile all night,looked at me this morning as to say" you ain't leaving me asshole" just the look said it all,but I didn't grab my shotguns so no battle.....

0 Not allowed!

17. Back To Top    #17
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,584
      Given: 6,684
      Quote Originally Posted by dean nelson View Post
      If the latter half of this forecast turns out to be accurate (which as far out as it is is Highly Questionable) that is one ice pack destroying sob. Daytime highs in the 50s and overnight lows above freezing will chew through ice in a big hurry. If it turns out to be accurate I would suspect that this weekend will be the last weekend of ice fishing around Bismarck for the non-suicidal crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but what about where the snows would actually be right now I.E. south of 90 in the Mitchell to yankton run! Kaylee seems to paying attention to the areas that fall into the land of no duh there's no snow geese there! But the mention of Pierre having snows definitely lends Credence to a possible Westward shift.
      Actually, honestly Dean, what do you do for a living? I tend to listen to the DNR folks, since they have their ears and eyes open for a living - yet you often call them bullshitters.

Not itching for a fight, just curious what you do for a living.

0 Not allowed!
      Me, to Shadrap65:
      "What the heck kinda line you got on?!"
      Shadrap65, to me:
      "Fish catchin' line, son!"

18. Back To Top    #18
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting

Mood:
      Piratey

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
      Actually, honestly Dean, what do you do for a living? I tend to listen to the DNR folks, since they have their ears and eyes open for a living - yet you often call them bullshitters.

Does she work for the denr or the refuge and not taking into account where the geese are and the future and just going of long term averages. Its like the deer count numbers the game and fish do alot of good but the gathering of actual numbers of big game suck. That goes for both n and s dakota

0 Not allowed!

19. Back To Top    #19
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post

Well I spent a good chunk of the mid 2000's as a spring snow goose guide following the migration from south east Kansas generally till they got to the South Dakota north dakota border. Did nothing but live and breath these birds from late Jan till they got here and then I would still follow them just hunting for myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtr View Post
      Does she work for the denr or the refuge and not taking into account where the geese are and the future and just going of long term averages. Its like the deer count numbers the game and fish do alot of good but the gathering of actual numbers of big game suck. That goes for both n and s dakota
      Back in the day they Al doing it and he was one of the fish and wildlife staff at The Refuge I'm not sure who this gal is. Back then they used to gather the data from various game wardens up and down the FlyAway in South Dakota but that's back when they had the hotline and did a lot more information gathering. Lately they seem to just only report basically what's on the Refuge and she's definitely not taking into account the area south of 90. I mean seriously if there's bird showing up as far north as Webster there's clearly something going on down to the South because Webster is still well into the snowpack.

If you go to the DU tracking forum there's a lot of reports coming in from Eastern South Dakota but you have to keep in mind that that forum is legendarily inaccurate but there are probably at least a dozen different people reporting it so that definitely lends credence to it.

0 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 469
      Given: 353
      Quote Originally Posted by dean nelson View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll get my golf clubs out.

0 Not allowed!
      We all saw Bambi die.....we got over it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast