• I have 6 months

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I have over a year

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I have over 10 years

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It looks like we have enough people on here that are not drinking, going "dry" for a week/month/or, cutting back or thinking about it to try a dedicated thread.

Please feel free to talk in here or ask questions. I have been sober for 30 years as of last Thanksgiving so I have seen a little and learned a little about not drinking. I do NOT know everything or even a lot so I am NOT an expert but I am willing to help, offer advice or try to point you in the right direction. I'm sure that there are others that are willing to help too.

Please try to stay out of here with the "I'm off to the bar, I'm having a couple of cold ones, let's have just one mixed drink please. I think it's great of you want to do that but there's a lot of room here for you to start your own thread about that.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good on ya 2400.

it was hard to believe at first, but there's (good) life after booze. Sure is nice not having hangovers or worrying about the cops, or wondering where my money went.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always refer to Neil Young. "I've seen the needle and the damage done".

My interpretation is I've seen the bottle and the damage done.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stopped early January just because I wondered how hard it would be. Since quitting I've had an increasing level of energy and lost 15 lb, which for me is a lot (185 to 170).

I am now somewhat depressed - seriously - because it appears I pissed away a whole bunch of time/money "having fun" for decades.

Maybe it was fun - but it didn't feel like living - it felt like enduring. Now I want those years back. : (

- - - Updated - - -

who can I sue to get those years back?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I stopped early January just because I wondered how hard it would be. Since quitting I've had an increasing level of energy and lost 15 lb, which for me is a lot (185 to 170).

I am now somewhat depressed - seriously - because it appears I pissed away a whole bunch of time/money "having fun" for decades.

Maybe it was fun - but it didn't feel like living - it felt like enduring. Now I want those years back. : (

Waaaaaaaaaa

Instead of being depressed about what you did in the past, learn from it and be glad you aren't still pissing money away on "having fun". Think of the money you're saving now for your kids, family or other stuff you want.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been out for beers at night in a month and a half now. Just busy and the longer I go the thought of a hangover makes me a little skiddish. I've said for years I don't have much use for 2 beers, six on the other hand ;). I'm not miserable but a night a week to get out and socialize with adults and hear people say stupid stuff is a good thing and I could use one soon lol. I respect those who don't drink or at least have realized what is fun and what is destructive.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

who can I sue to get those years back?

You are in the honeymoon phase. It passes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey - shut it

- - - Updated - - -

5MVwH.png

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I managed to only get zipped up good one time(well maybe 1.5 times) on my 8 day Caribbean vacation. I call that a win. I did focus on eating lobster, so that didn't help the scale any though.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You forgot a box for those of us who drink, but seldom. I need to drink more. LOL I used to drink most every weekend 30-18 years ago, but now very seldom. I may not have had a drink yet in 2020.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know how to answer that. I used to drink, a lot! I got a DUI in my mid 20's on a night I only had a 6 pack and was heading home (damn license plate lights), there were nights I couldn't remember driving home. I guess you could say it was a blessing because I haven't done it since. Now I am pushing 40 and I still enjoy to tie one on every once and a while, but it's only a handful of times a year. I can buy a case of beer and will last me a few months. When I do tie one on I feel like such a pile that I don't do it again until I forget how shitty I felt the last time.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I may not have drank more booze than everyone over the past 15-20 years or so, but I gave it a damn good effort. I have worked in the medical environment (not a provider) that entire time also so I knew I wasn't doing my body any favors. The past 10 haven't been the wild party type drinking either, but when camping, fishing, etc. putting down a case of beer was not a difficult task. Otherwise, 2, 3, 4, 6 beers most nights regardless of the activity was kind of the norm. I finally had a health scare at the end of 2019 that I thought might be related to punishing my body so long. It ended up being something totally different but it was enough to scare the shit out of me and finally make me realize being around for my kids as long as possible is what is most important.

Now, I'm not going to lie. I have had some DAMN good times, met some DAMN good people (including my wife), and made some of my best memories because of beer. I can honestly say that is the case (pun intended). However, I'm not 20 anymore and I have so many things going for me in life that the hangovers, the money, the health risks, the ride mooching, etc. just isn't worth it.

I used to smoke. Quitting was easy.
I used to chew. Quitting was easy.
Quitting drinking was absolutely just as easy. I thought it wouldn't be but it was.
I feel like I am very lucky I have that ability, will power, whatever.
I know it's not that easy for everyone so I may just be lucky.

It's only been a couple months but I have a lot more energy. I've lost weight. I sleep better. I feel great overall I can still have fun with my buddies and it helps that I found some NA beer I like because I truly do like the taste of cold beer more than most other beverages.
I'm not saying I will never have a beer again but I might not. I know I'm going to die from something and it may very well be related to 20 years of fairly hard living but I've decided it's time to switch gears. Most of my friends figured I'd be the last one to ever say that, I guarantee you. :)

By the way, if you like green-bottled beer, Heineken 0.0 is pretty tasty. Buckler is a pretty good NA alternative too.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didnt start till I was 18. Things progressed from there and had someone show me the err of my ways. Turned from that life and never looked back. Now in my late 30s and have gotten into fitness and I'm telling you eating crap food is the hardest thing to quit!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who are those young studs? Never mind we all know. Amazing what 10 years will do.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77