• I have over a year

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I have over 10 years

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have nothing on that poll question that helps people that work to much and have no time for drinking.

Poll : Who wants to have the time to have a nice beer or three

ME

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have nothing on that poll question that helps people that work to much and have no time for drinking.

Poll : Who wants to have the time to have a nice beer or three

ME

That falls in with the people who say they dont have enough time to work out or eat healthy. There is always time its just how you prioritize it.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drank pretty heavy my first few years of college. Interesting enough, I really toned it down after I turned 21. I joke with people that if you didn't count buffalo wings I haven't spent over a hundred dollars in a bar in 10 years. I probably have a drink or two once or twice a year. I just don't like it anymore. Plus, I feel like one night of drinking costs 3 days of productivity and that's not a trade I want to make.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made the decision to be sober for 2020. Nowhere close to an alcoholic. Sober much more nights than not. Just a normal, married 31 year old with no kids. Beer and Gin are my favorite. More of a challenge and an experiment for myself. Don't miss hangovers, shitty sleep or lackluster days after. I fully expect to have a few drinks for New Years 2021. Just hoping to gain a different perspective on things and maybe reel in some quantity here and there in the future. Had my first sober tropical vacation and wedding since I was 18 and I enjoyed them close to the same, just different.

I agree with Randy. There is a depression phase. I miss a cold, good beer with dinner while out. While on vacation, I was two weeks in, i wanted some tropical beer or cold marg real bad. I also miss the "social lubricant" of it in some situations, but I also find that I am having different conversations with different people while out. But, knowing i will not partake, has led to different decisions and an increased pro-activeness in other areas like exercise, outdoor activities and an overall willingness to be up for whatever.

It is so interesting too see how socially ingrained drinking is on our society and every activity while sober. So far, a positive experience overall. My hats off to all who are trying something different. Cheers:D

Skullet

Established Member
I’ve got a kid in drug/alcohol rehab right now. It’s been a gut wrenching experience for all of us.
I’ve never done drugs, but after this experience I don’t give a shit if I ever have another drop of booze. It’s scary how a problem can sneak up on a person.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve got a kid in drug/alcohol rehab right now. It’s been a gut wrenching experience for all of us.
I’ve never done drugs, but after this experience I don’t give a shit if I ever have another drop of booze. It’s scary how a problem can sneak up on a person.

This is an interesting but separate topic. I remember while sitting in rehab, listening to the speaker talking about "life afterwards". My daughter was just little at the time. But I thought "how can I talk to her about being careful about this stuff, when I sure wasn't?".

The speaker touched on this. Said "you are the parent, don't worry about sounding hypocritical, if you're doing it for their good. Allow them to learn and benefit from your own stupidity".

I gave myself permission to be "that guy" who once did dumb things, learned his lesson(s), and then uses those experiences to help his kids.

Win-win.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heineken zero is quite delightful.
Becks and ODouls Amber have been good NAs. Some are AWFUL.

- - - Updated - - -

Alanon meetings aren't a bad idea. I have a few buddies in your situation that really enjoyed them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75