Top 5 Flood this Spring?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like Fargo and GF(and other areas of the state) are set up to have a top 5 flood this spring...or even record breakers. It will be very interesting to see how this spring plays out. Here is hoping for ideal melting conditions!

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in GF. I got my flood insurance a few days ago. Im torn between not wanting it to flood and wanting to use my flood insurance......

:;:huh

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Highs in the 30s for a few weeks would be good; looks like the next 7 days should be helpful. Late winter storms, as always, are going to be the deciding factor.

benjamins

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like every year is going to be a "record flood" in Fargo. Just their tactic to try and get people behind the diversion.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple billion for a diversion because too much shitty water coming too fast. Couple billion for a pipeline for clean mountain water they can pump.

Makes perfect sense.

Whos paying? Oh, right. We are....

And no, of course I dont live there!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Saw on the the weather just this morning that Fargo has received 44" of snow for the year and GF 55". Hardly flood depths but have no idea how the wet, saturated ground from the fall is going to affect the runoff. That and we have no idea how the moisture will be this spring. Lots of variables before we have an accurate flood forecast.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
what happened to the million sand bags fargo made last year?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m sure the they will receive plenty of funding from the legacy fund. To hell with schools

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like every year is going to be a "record flood" in Fargo. Just their tactic to try and get people behind the diversion.

Pretty sure the National Weather Service doesn't have an official position on the diversion.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My feeling is that if you have to see the majestic Red flowing through your yard You Should Pay For It. Its like if you build your house near the sewer treatment plant be prepared to accept some shit.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure the National Weather Service doesn't have an official position on the diversion.
whats their official opinion on how the COE handles/operates the Missouri River dam system?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats their official opinion on how the COE handles/operates the Missouri River dam system?

So far as I know, there is no official position of the NWS on that topic either.

Personally though, I'd say they do a pretty good job with the tools given them. It's just math, and sometimes it doesn't add up to what we want it to be, but that doesn't alter the basic premise of needing to change the inputs if you want a different result.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like they are going to use drone technology this year with stills and live shots. Great idea! Perhaps they have done it in years past..no idea..but the concept is fantastic to be able to get data of conditions. At any rate, March seems to always be full of surprises so we shall see what this melting season has in store.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like they are going to use drone technology this year with stills and live shots. Great idea! Perhaps they have done it in years past..no idea..but the concept is fantastic to be able to get data of conditions. At any rate, March seems to always be full of surprises so we shall see what this melting season has in store.

Drones, as in Customs and Border Patrol's predators and other UAV's have been used for several years to get eyes on water issues. ND's Civil Air Patrol have also flown a lot of hours in support of flood fighting efforts. Recently though, the use of smaller and cheaper drones is really coming on strong so long as you don't have to fly miles and miles of a given river. The camera quality is just amazing on some of these things nowadays.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my flood insurance a month ago. I'm about two blocks from the Red, but I'm also some of the highest elevation in Fargo. No wet basements in 97 or 09. I'm prepared, but not all that worried.

The schmucks in south Fargo are in trouble, though. Especially everyone building in the 100-year floodplain.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my flood insurance a month ago. I'm about two blocks from the Red, but I'm also some of the highest elevation in Fargo. No wet basements in 97 or 09. I'm prepared, but not all that worried.

The schmucks in south Fargo are in trouble, though. Especially everyone building in the 100-year floodplain.

Depending on when they built I believe their lowest level would have to be at least 2' above the 100 - year floodplain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57