The start of DFH ( warning pic heavy )

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dahl Fish Hydrolysate is a small business in North Dakota that makes an organic liquid fish fertilizer from rough fish harvested locally.

The process is simple and complicated at the same time. Fish are ground up into a very fine slurry mixed with organic ingredients during the hydrolysate process to provide a mixture promoting desirable microorganisms during the fermenting process.

After the fish is broken all the way down into a stable liquid with a PH of 3.5 it is mechanically filtered to remove any solids that have survived the process.

The concentrate is then diluted with water prior to application. Rates vary but 3 Oz per gallon of water is average. Once diluted it must be applied. In concentrate it has a long shelf life and will withstand being frozen as long as the container doesn't break.

Anybody from the backyard gardener to the largest Ag producer can benefit from my organic fish fertilizer.

A couple benefits the soluble liquid provides to any plant,

of the 118 elements on the periodic table there are 60 in my fertilizer
great source of amino acids
treated plants are stronger and fuller able to resist disease
My microbes compete with mold and fungus eliminate the need for fungicide. Spores can’t grow with no food.

We have found Deer to avoid plants treated with fish fertilizer. My wife’s Sumac did well when the deer left them alone after the first application.

Treated plants have a much higher BRIX content ( sugar ) Sweeter fruits and vegetables.
Bugs and pests avoid high BRIX plants

A word on BRIX, the measurement of sugar in a plant. A direct measurement of a plants health and potential for producing fruit.

BRIX is easily measured with a couple of drops of juice from the plant and a refractometer. So you can check any plant any time of year to see its sugar content.

Sorry kinda got on a rant there but I’m super excited to get producing my product and helping gardeners get the best tasting fruits and vegetables and get farmers higher yields of feed and the best crops they have ever seen !

This is my Muffin Monster Grinder
<font size="3">

The grinder will be trailer mounted and here is the build.
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0998.jpg
My big dude helping with the parts
IMG_5203.jpg
IMG_8520.jpg
IMG_8736.jpg
IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg

I have to build a control panel and mount the diaphragm pump to circulate the ground up fish then its time to paint.

My fermenting tanks, thanks Souris River Brewery in Minot for the deal !!
IMG_5079.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Figured I will be shooting allot of fish this year so I treated myself to a custom bow from Joey Greenwell.

IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg

A side hustle of the fertilizer business is my guided carp hunts !

Missouri Carp Safaris will be taking people on guided carp hunts starting this spring. So if anybody wants to get in on sticking some big carp let me know and we will get out. Day or night trips are available, if you have never shot carp at night you are missing out.

Thanks for reading let me know if your interested in the benefits of

DFH's Missouri Secret Organic Liquid Fish Fertilizer

Last edited:

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Favorite pic of 2020 so far, taken 2 weeks ago.
34D8297C-FBC0-491B-B363-CE9FC61C5AB5.jpg

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where can we buy it? Cost?

Ill have a websight in the near future. Closer to spring I’ll place an add in the classifieds. And if it’s OK with V you can PM me here.

2020 price is $25 gallon enough to make 42 gallons of fertilizer.
Anybody wanting bulk quantity’s the price will go down.

Thanks for your interest

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will you purchase fish harvested by others?

- - - Updated - - -

Or possibly trade final product for fish? Discount maybe?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody who knows Huffranger, knows he does nothing half-assed. I don't feel the need to verify his numbers, his process, or his pricing. If I were a gardener, I'd be in. As it is, I may have to buy some for tree fertilizer. (or my mother's flower garden...)

Come to think of it, how is this applied? Can a person simply spray it over a flower garden? How is the smell?

(note to self - call Norm this afternoon)

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
2020 price is $25 gallon enough to make 42 gallons of fertilizer.
Anybody wanting bulk quantity’s the price will go down.

After opening the gallon container, what is the recommended distance this should be kept from a persons nose?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll take a couple gallons once its ready for sale. I've got 500+ trees to fertilize out on the land we bought last year.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I, too, will take a gallon when it is available. I also have the same questions as above - smell, application to trees, flowers, vegetable garden.....etc.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
After opening the gallon container, what is the recommended distance this should be kept from a persons nose?

Interestingly enough there is a distinct odor with the concentrate but it has a vinegar ( ish ) smell. Don't get me wrong it stinks but not as bad as you would imagine.

After you add water to the concentrate and apply you will smell fish ( amazing right ) but within a couple hours the smell reduces immensely, so much so that it will PROVE to anybody how quickly the nutrients are absorbed by the plants and soil. As a matter of fact that instance sold me on the value of the product.

- - - Updated - - -

You stole this idea from Lycan didn't you? Maybe Lycan can be one of your brew masters. ;)

The only similarity between what Lycan did and I am doing is we both use carp.

Thanks for the interest guys, I also have saved a bunch of water bottles with robust lids. To be able to offer samples at a very reasonable cost.

If anybody has a connection in Sugar Beets or Chrystal Sugar I'm looking for a source of Beet Molasses. I'm considering it as an additive for its nutritional value.

So a trick I have read about for trees and bushes is to take a gallon milk jug, pour a shot of Missouri Magic in then fill with water. ( preferably well or rain water ) .

Then at your tree take a stick pin and poke a couple holes in the lowest part of the jug and set close to your soon to be bountiful tree. Poke a hole in the top of jug also to break the vacuum.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
...but within a couple hours the smell reduces immensely.

Well that's disappointing.....until I read that I was considering getting a gallon to help [MENTION=324]JayKay[/MENTION] fertilize his yard.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So just pour it on the ground next to the plants? How much do you suggest to fertilize a 30' row of vegetables? How often would a person have to re-appy throughout the growing season?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that's disappointing.....until I read that I was considering getting a gallon to help @JayKay fertilize his yard.

I deserve that.

Don't ever ask me about the dead brown grass in your backyard. The patterns DO NOT look like my name, written in cursive...

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
So just pour it on the ground next to the plants? How much do you suggest to fertilize a 30' row of vegetables? How often would a person have to re-appy throughout the growing season?

For the row of veggies I would buy one of these
25A152E7-4922-4867-8742-CEFA728D51B3.jpg
For two gallons add 6oz of fertilizer. Apply once a week in the morning before the heat of the day. Pour directly on the plants as they will absorb through the leaves and stem as the fish is soluble. The soil will also benefit from any fertilizer that gets to it.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this is great! When I was young, my dad made a deer repellent by combining fish guts and cayenne pepper and letting it ferment. I believe it worked very well, so this product sounds great for those using it on young trees and gardens.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every cat in the neighborhood will use your garden for a shit house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63