Sakakawea Access

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoping to make one last trip with the wheel house this weekend. The warm temps the last week or so make me a bit nervous. We were thinking about going to Sakakawea to chase some pike. Does anyone know what the access is like around Douglas or Steinke? How has the ice been? Would really like to get the house on the ice, but sleeping on the ramp is always an option too....just not as fun!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think after this wind and warm OAHE ice is done. I didn't go last Saturday, but should have. If the fish would bite a little better I might have went. I heard a guy lost a side by side 4-wheeler in Mobridge getting his house off. Lots of water running into the lake, and shorelines are a bitch. Not sure about Sak. but I'd pretty careful on any ice after all the water flowing and warm windy days.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about the east end (Douglas & Steinke) but last Friday on Van Hook trucks and wheelhouses still running all over. Ice where we fished was still 25-30 inches pretty solid. Shoreline at access points gonna be the problem at those high volume locations. Dirt/gravel gonna tear it up quick would guess. Douglas Bay has a couple ramps that might not get quite as much traffic, but if you decide to go just be careful at the ramp/access point.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think after this wind and warm OAHE ice is done. I didn't go last Saturday, but should have. If the fish would bite a little better I might have went. I heard a guy lost a side by side 4-wheeler in Mobridge getting his house off. Lots of water running into the lake, and shorelines are a bitch. Not sure about Sak. but I'd pretty careful on any ice after all the water flowing and warm windy days.

It was on the old grade .tracked side by side one guy spent night in hospital damn near died could not get door open on cab as it sunk then got stuck under the ice. there were three of them in the water some cowboys seen them and roped them and drug up on ice. The guys that did the roping was my kids friends dad. Pick up went in at pollock last night looks like. be able to take a boat and fish the area between bridges real easy this weekend

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove on by the state line on the 22nd. A bunch of Yates guys were there on Sat the 29th, but I didn't want to pile in there and figured it wouldn't be worth the time by town. I've had a couple bad incidents on the ice myself so I stayed off. Didn't here about the guys getting roped. Just heard Deakan (sp) lost his side by side.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished mid lake sak Saturday, ice was perfect. It was 60 degrees yet there was no visible water on the ice, it was about 20 inches thick.
20200301_082937.jpg

On another note..stump lake looks like youd best be careful.
Resized_Screenshot_20200302-212815_Messages(1).jpg

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I heard that as well about the truck going through at Polluck. We fished Langliers on Saturday & drove the truck out. It will be wheeler from here on out.
It was on the old grade .tracked side by side one guy spent night in hospital damn near died could not get door open on cab as it sunk then got stuck under the ice. there were three of them in the water some cowboys seen them and roped them and drug up on ice. The guys that did the roping was my kids friends dad. Pick up went in at pollock last night looks like. be able to take a boat and fish the area between bridges real easy this weekend

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like we'll be leaving the house on Audubon for the weekend. I'd still like to get out and chase some pike in the afternoons though. Any tips/pointers for finding keeper northern on Audubon? I've never had any luck with northern on that lake.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like we'll be leaving the house on Audubon for the weekend. I'd still like to get out and chase some pike in the afternoons though. Any tips/pointers for finding keeper northern on Audubon? I've never had any luck with northern on that lake.

Don't want to call out specific spots, but you can always do well on Audubon late ice for pike at a spot that rhymes with "smulverts"

mills423

Fished wolf creek around mallard last weekend. Lot of water on the ice in the afternoon and the ice was slushy when you drilled. Edges were getting soft although there were guys driving trucks out. Not a lot of confidence with how the weather looks like its going end up tomorrow and Saturday.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76