Any rock hounds ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy who found all kinds of native fossils . He is doing 5-10 in the pen right now. guess you cant sell them on ebay

When in Utah there was a listing for a garage sale close to where we were that listed artifacts so wife went (she is a collector too) She was the only one there and she was buying mostly clay pottery , It was priced cheap. After a while some guy walked in and looked around and made an offer for the whole lot and instructed my wife to pay for what she had already picked out. We thought that was the last we would ever hear about it till we were watching 60 minutes and there was a story about 3 people in Utah that had robbed grave sites or ceremonial sites and it was a huge thing , They did lots of time. We don't know if the guy who bought it all was a cop or not but we assume it was.

The mention of heart shaped rocks, I found a small one too and gave it to my wife . I thought it was a nature at it's best and one in a kizillion but now wondering if it maybe is man made.

- - - Updated - - -

all the hours I spent in a tractor I was constantly looking at rocks , One day it finally paid off , there it was , Nice big and heavy hammer , I was happy as a lark and still look in that area for more but it's planted to hay now.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mounds I speak of are located in S.E.N.D.

I hate to break it to you, but robbing graves is illegal...like seriously illegal.

And if I knew I had burial mounds on my land, I'd keep it as secret as could be. You wouldn't want the State Hysterical Society getting wind of them. They will put all kinds of super secret restrictions on the place.

I know of several teepee circles on private land and that's what I tell those landowners as well. Quite a few years ago, a gravel company wanted to develop a relatively useless piece of our pasture. But in their test cores they found little fragments of bone (pretty damn sure they were animal bones) and rock cairns, that the archeologist thought could be of Native American origin. Stupid part of it all was that this was a few acres of the pasture that had at one time been broken up for crop land, so the cairns were just rock piles on the edge of the field left there by my step-grandfather. Yep, you guessed it...no gravel pit for the parents. They would have had to open-ended a check to a private archeologist to prove that these weren't of Native American origin to get the gravel pit approved, so they got screwed. Way too expensive.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve picked up and set down roughly a dozen semi-loads worth of Leaverite.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hate to break it to you, but robbing graves is illegal...like seriously illegal.

And if I knew I had burial mounds on my land, I'd keep it as secret as could be. You wouldn't want the State Hysterical Society getting wind of them. They will put all kinds of super secret restrictions on the place.

I know of several teepee circles on private land and that's what I tell those landowners as well. Quite a few years ago, a gravel company wanted to develop a relatively useless piece of our pasture. But in their test cores they found little fragments of bone (pretty damn sure they were animal bones) and rock cairns, that the archeologist thought could be of Native American origin. Stupid part of it all was that this was a few acres of the pasture that had at one time been broken up for crop land, so the cairns were just rock piles on the edge of the field left there by my step-grandfather. Yep, you guessed it...no gravel pit for the parents. They would have had to open-ended a check to a private archeologist to prove that these weren't of Native American origin to get the gravel pit approved, so they got screwed. Way too expensive.

No one has ever dug in the mounds. The arrow heads are found in the fields surrounding the mounds

Back in 1976 I worked for the Bureau of Reclamation relocating graves for the Lonetree Reservoir. We relocated well over 400 graves that summer. Sometimes we wouldn't find anything, and other most everything was still intact. Many of the graves had the glass tops with a wood lid. Them were very interesting coffins.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a kid growing up picking rocks in some of the rockiest fields I've ever seen, I've found a little bit of everything...except truly valuable things.

Lots of fossils, mostly leaves but a few others like shell fish, etc.

Not really sure that is what led me to get a degree in Geology, but it was fun as a kid to smash fossils to see what was in them. Basically, nothing.

I've also found a fair number of arrowheads and other stone tools (hammers and scrapers). Not sure where any of them are nowadays but am pretty sure if I wanted to I could go back for more. As is I like to think I have some of the largest rock collections in the state, stepdad just refers to them as the rockpiles out in the field. Back in college you could always tell the bus full of geologists returning from field trips. The vans would lean to the left as people would put their collections on the side of the van away from the door to the back seats.

I still enjoy looking at rocks even though 99.99999% are leaverite (leave 'er right where you found it), but some things like banded iron formation are pretty cool to look at. One of these days I'm going to build a birdhouse out of petrified wood. I have a few five gallon buckets full of the stuff that I think would make a really cool, something.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve picked up and set down roughly a dozen semi-loads worth of Leaverite.

Haha , I had never heard of Leaverite so I had to google it. Used to visit with the Geologists on the rigs a lot and one was telling about sex rocks in a very serious way so I took it hook line and sinker and asked that a sex rock is , Found out it's just another fu@$ing rock.

I was privileged know a man by the name of ED Milligan , He and my dad were friends and I met him when I was just a kid. If any of you in your 60s or older went to NDSU_BBIF you know who I am talking about, One of the most amazing people I ever visited with. He taught me a lot and sparked my interest , One of those guys that you could talk with for hours and it just kept getting more interesting. He was a white man that was adopted by the Tribe .

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41538077/edward-archibald-milligan

https://apps.library.und.edu/archon/?p=collections/findingaid&id=626&q=&rootcontentid=79551

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha , I had never heard of Leaverite so I had to google it.

Good friend of mine was a Geology Professor @ UND and taught me about "Leaverite". Specifically, "Paleolythic Leaverite" so it sounded official.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one has ever dug in the mounds. The arrow heads are found in the fields surrounding the mounds

Back in 1976 I worked for the Bureau of Reclamation relocating graves for the Lonetree Reservoir. We relocated well over 400 graves that summer. Sometimes we wouldn't find anything, and other most everything was still intact. Many of the graves had the glass tops with a wood lid. Them were very interesting coffins.

Now i would have enjoyed doing that kind of work! That would have really been interesting.
Do you have any pictures from do those re-locations?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The family farm has a high hill in one of the pastures. On top of that hill is a very large flat rock with many medium flat rocks that is in a almost perfect circle around the larger rock. You can tell that its never been disturbed. My Grandpa said it was there when he bought the land in the late 1940s. He speculated that it was an Indian gathering place. I always thought it was very cool no matter what it really was.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
[/B]

Now i would have enjoyed doing that kind of work! That would have really been interesting.
Do you have any pictures from do those re-locations?

No I dont have any pictures. It was a very interesting summer for sure.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pond has what my dad thought was a tepe ring that is under water most of the time but water has been low enough to see a few times , The first time I met Ed Milligan was when he came out to look at it and he knew right away what it was based on it's size. His explanation was it is a turtle with the head pointing towards a water source , Right in the direction of a flowing spring in that pond. Some years it flows and some years not , We knew not to trust the ice on that side of the pond so it all ads up.

I "found" a show in the history channel that is right up there with my all time favorites , The name of the show is Found.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
When in Utah there was a listing for a garage sale close to where we were that listed artifacts so wife went (she is a collector too) She was the only one there and she was buying mostly clay pottery , It was priced cheap. After a while some guy walked in and looked around and made an offer for the whole lot and instructed my wife to pay for what she had already picked out. We thought that was the last we would ever hear about it till we were watching 60 minutes and there was a story about 3 people in Utah that had robbed grave sites or ceremonial sites and it was a huge thing , They did lots of time. We don't know if the guy who bought it all was a cop or not but we assume it was.

The mention of heart shaped rocks, I found a small one too and gave it to my wife . I thought it was a nature at it's best and one in a kizillion but now wondering if it maybe is man made.

- - - Updated - - -

all the hours I spent in a tractor I was constantly looking at rocks , One day it finally paid off , there it was , Nice big and heavy hammer , I was happy as a lark and still look in that area for more but it's planted to hay now.

It would be very interesting to me if you still own that hay land to go in there and break up a small area with say a small plow or disc and go through that small area with a fine toothed comb. Nothing? try another small area; sleep, eat, repeat. It would have my curiosity.

Is there an elevated area in the area where they may have camped or is there an area near a creek, stream or river where they may have camped?? Topo Map / aerial photo available where something distinguishing (elevated circle/rectangle) may show as unusual that may be worth investigating?

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[/QUOTE]I was privileged know a man by the name of ED Milligan , He and my dad were friends and I met him when I was just a kid. If any of you in your 60s or older went to NDSU_BBIF you know who I am talking about, One of the most amazing people I ever visited with. He taught me a lot and sparked my interest , One of those guys that you could talk with for hours and it just kept getting more interesting. He was a white man that was adopted by the Tribe.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41538077/edward-archibald-milligan

https://apps.library.und.edu/archon/?p=collections/findingaid&id=626&q=&rootcontentid=79551[/QUOTE]

Davey, I remember Ed. I had 2 good friends that had Fathers that taught at "The Forestry" as it was called when I was in Botno. One taught mathematics and several of us took "Slide Rule" from him our senior year in HS. No college credit but it gave us a leg up in Engineering classes in college ... our calculators in the '60's! The other was the music instructor. You probably know who I'm talking about.

His Metigoshe cabin was called "Timber Wolf Up." Sadly gone now. His picture is just as I remember him. He was a few years older than Dad.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the Timber Wolf in his outdoor glass showcase right along the road south of four seasons . The only music teacher I know from the forestry is Crazy fingers . We had a rental on the farm that he rented so he was my next door neighbor for a few years in the 70s , He is more fun than a barrel of monkeys .

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the Timber Wolf in his outdoor glass showcase right along the road south of four seasons . The only music teacher I know from the forestry is Crazy fingers . We had a rental on the farm that he rented so he was my next door neighbor for a few years in the 70s , He is more fun than a barrel of monkeys .

Arnold Opland was before Gordy "Crazy Fingers" Lindquist. Gordy taught my cousins at Westhope in the 60's before he came to The Forestry. My Uncle was on the school board that hired him. He reminds me every time we see him at Birchwood.

Arnold had a son a year older than me, class of '62. Your sisters class or a year younger. The math instructor was Tom Rindt. He had a son in my class.

We gotta get together this summer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arnold Opland was before Gordy "Crazy Fingers" Lindquist. Gordy taught my cousins at Westhope in the 60's before he came to The Forestry. My Uncle was on the school board that hired him. He reminds me every time we see him at Birchwood.

Arnold had a son a year older than me, class of '62. Your sisters class or a year younger. The math instructor was Tom Rindt. He had a son in my class.

We gotta get together this summer.

Yes , We are spending more time at home now that we have almost all of our grandkids up and running , One more to go in August and it will be 9 from 2 boys so life is good and life has been busy. Did you ever get into the walleyes last summer or enough of any fish to make for a few good fish fries ?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes , We are spending more time at home now that we have almost all of our grandkids up and running , One more to go in August and it will be 9 from 2 boys so life is good and life has been busy. Did you ever get into the walleyes last summer or enough of any fish to make for a few good fish fries ?

You, my friend are up much too late ... and no with the Lake being so low I had zero luck at fishing. I can honestly say that I cannot remember seeing anybody fishing in front of our cabin last summer. I took the YarCraft out a few time to run around and use some gas and charge the battery and the wife and I took the 'toon out by ourselves and with friends for a spin around the Lake.

I plan to do better this summer. Bluegills are always an option and they are plenty good eatin'.

I don't think that your old house boat made it on the Lake at all. It was parked in that lot all summer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Late for bed and early to rise , Fish like hell and make up lies .

Fishing has been tough , The last fish fry we had , My prayer was 3 fish for the 4 of us , Thank God there is no more of us .

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife's been arguing to leave for our apartment in Minot with this virus going around. Me, it's only in the 60's in the daytime here. I'm not ready to hibernate indoors until May in Minot when our cabin can be opened. I can do it here and still get the paper and mail, but at the Lake it's a 200 yd walk each way.

No thanks, I'll self-quarantine here. I can slip out once every 2 weeks for wine and booze!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75