Any rock hounds ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You, my friend are up much too late ... and no with the Lake being so low I had zero luck at fishing. I can honestly say that I cannot remember seeing anybody fishing in front of our cabin last summer. I took the YarCraft out a few time to run around and use some gas and charge the battery and the wife and I took the 'toon out by ourselves and with friends for a spin around the Lake.

I plan to do better this summer. Bluegills are always an option and they are plenty good eatin'.

I don't think that your old house boat made it on the Lake at all. It was parked in that lot all summer.

The cabin cruiser in that lot is Scotty's from Landa , Or the last known owner anyway. The ones I had are out on the water, One is a late 70s 26' Sea Ray with nice wood . I miss that bugger, Other one is a 1977 24' Bayliner named Ya mon with a full screen enclosure. That is the only boat that I owned and never had off the trailer. but I hardly ever see it. I'll pick you up in June if your up here and we can pick up a few, Late spring , Early summer usually treats me the best . My new boat is an old, one of the first (forget the year) 21' Lund Baron that looks like it did when it did when it left the factory except for a few dock rashes.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cabin cruiser in that lot is Scotty's from Landa , Or the last known owner anyway. The ones I had are out on the water, One is a late 70s 26' Sea Ray with nice wood . I miss that bugger, Other one is a 1977 24' Bayliner named Ya mon with a full screen enclosure. That is the only boat that I owned and never had off the trailer. but I hardly ever see it. I'll pick you up in June if your up here and we can pick up a few, Late spring , Early summer usually treats me the best . My new boat is an old, one of the first (forget the year) 21' Lund Baron that looks like it did when it did when it left the factory except for a few dock rashes.

Love to fish with you. I only know how to fish from the '50's and '60's, troll and drink beer. You can show me how to catch walleyes!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be very interesting to me if you still own that hay land to go in there and break up a small area with say a small plow or disc and go through that small area with a fine toothed comb. Nothing? try another small area; sleep, eat, repeat. It would have my curiosity.

Is there an elevated area in the area where they may have camped or is there an area near a creek, stream or river where they may have camped?? Topo Map / aerial photo available where something distinguishing (elevated circle/rectangle) may show as unusual that may be worth investigating?

Back in the late 60s my dad had an offer to sell that property and he sold it, His reasoning was that it could never be moved and that it would be there to look at forever and it will never be anything more that a tax sucking money pit to him . Lucky thing is that the land baron that bought it sold it to a local fam boy that is best neighbor anyone could ever ask for. He and I both like the farm looking like it did 500 years ago VS what it will look like 500 years from now. There is a hill and steep bank looking down on the turtle , Interesting
that modern people ( my relatives) made a camp site there so there is a fire ring and stuff but I still wonder if those guys (dead now) stumbled on a campsite and thought it was a good place to set up camp. Anyway I have so many rocks that I don't know what to do with so no I don't feel the need to look for more but I smile big when I stumble on one. Where I found the hammer was roughly 300 yards from turtle.

- - - Updated - - -

Love to fish with you. I only know how to fish from the '50's and '60's, troll and drink beer. You can show me how to catch walleyes!!!

If all fails, That's what we will try.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what to think of these two , The buffalo is crude but It sure looks like it has been carved . The other one I have no idea if it was a tool or an act of nature. Thoughts ? Both found in the same area.

rock.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock3.jpg

rock4.jpg

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That buffalo is awesome, I'm not an expert, but the other artifact sue looks like some type of a tool.

IMG_2645.jpgIMG_2644.jpg

Been following this thread, and I know this is not a ND find, but thought I would share, hope that is ok. We have a small creek behind our house and last summer after the flooding my wife and I were down there and I picked this up out of the water and tossed it on the shore. I really had no idea what it was at the time, as we are always finding trash of all sorts. My son and daughter went down later that day and my son came back to the house and asked if we had found the stuff laying on the sand. I said yes, and he said, why didn't you keep the pistol...Anyway...I sure would like to hear the story of it...

We have found a couple small arrowheads over the years, and I was sure hoping the flood would have unearthed more treasures that we would have found, but it doesn't matter, we will keep looking!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairman , I could be wrong but I think that's a horse hame , A Part of a horse harness. The ball on the tip is what caught my eye .

The one you have looks like pony size , This is a full sized collar and hame.

hame.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

They made many styles over the years , The ball was put on for decoration and most were brass.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was little Dad would set me on Dixie right behind the hame and I would hang on to those brass knobs for balance. Held on tight too because it was a long ways to the ground for a little guy. Dixie was a Clydesdale with feet the size of dinner plates and her colors were just like the Bud horses. There was no seat belts or safety harness back in the 50's.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
ice fish.jpgfcollector all my life,as a kid back in the 60's found a giant tooth in the mud of a creek while wallowing in it about 3" long my pops brought it to the university of minn,they claimed it was a prehistoric buffalo tooth,aged it 10,000yrs old,went back with friends ,we found buffalo horns,rib bones,jaws with teeth...all gone now,arrow heads in south dakota farm fields over the years also a cache of arrow/spear heads along the bluffs of lac diefenbacher in sask wilst hunting.

Then these from alaska pretty sure fishing lures,locals said elders used them and put mica in the holes (made from wallrus tusk ivory)for flash bunch of cool fossils and peterfied wood around lake powel utah but illigal to pick up,minerlized sand dunes in the airaid climate fossils everywhere you looked away from from the crowds

Then along the shores of lake superior....Agates....again law states no rock collecting but easy to fill your pockets.

growing up my dad was a design engineer for the hiway dept,new roads going in near mille lacs lake yeided many arrowheads on new cut roads after a heavy rain,souix/ojib natives area.

face.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ivory.jpg

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow- those are awesome!

Davey, thanks for the information, after looking at your picture I think you are correct. Dang it...I was thinking an old blackpowder pistol...

Great thread as I love looking for artifacts. Not so much into fossils or just rocks, but anything from those who were here 100s and 1000s of years before us! Hope some more people share what they have found.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are awesome snow. Short , Looking and finding is fun no matter what it is. Just getting out and exploring and thinking like a cave man is fun . PG I'll google that and see if I can find any for comparison. Mother nature has created some unimaginable rock art too so you never know until you finally figure it out. There were some buffalo cliffs here in ND that the old timers talked about in this area it was buffalo lodge lake . I might snap another pic or three of some other rocks that have me curious. The forensics are amazing to me , x ray and carbon dating can tell a lot . There's one year of the series "found" for free on you tube and a few more years on the history channel.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
friends found these as they dug up a grass house above the artic circle,this is the house these folks uncovered,as you can see the ocean was creeping up soon to swallow this find.SOD HOUSE.jpg

arrow.jpg

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I get to my phone I'll post a pic of a 1849 Colt powder flask that I found near where Sully trained his soldiers. Somehow it must have exploded because I only have one side of the flask. My grandfather bought a homestead from an old trapper (Mike Belonge) along the Sheyenne river. He showed grandpa where Sully had dug trenches and used the natural valleys to train soldiers. I called the state museum people once, but they hoohummed so I'm never telling to dip wads anything.
New Mexico has a state park called Rockhound state park. They let you keep up to 15 pounds of rock that you find. I didn't realize we had opal in the United States until talking with a fellow 1000 miles later. I found five of the local Thunder Eggs, but like a green horn idiot I threw away opal. The ground was covered with Jasper in places. The Thunder Eggs were located on top of sheets of obsidian.
20200316_120944.jpg

Edit: The flask was found near the cabin where an old Native American lady delivered my mom and twin sister in 1908.

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Amazing finds Snow and PG!!

Yeah, I just enjoy walking around and looking, hell, I enjoy just looking at animal tracks in the sand...

Last edited:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
All cool finds. I have been thinking about getting a metal detector and seeing how many farmers would let me scan some old abandoned farmsteads. Might find some cool stuff.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
All cool finds. I have been thinking about getting a metal detector and seeing how many farmers would let me scan some old abandoned farmsteads. Might find some cool stuff.
I have checked out a couple old farmsteads. I think I need a higher end detector though. All I end up finding is cans and pop tabs

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
thumbnail_image0.jpgthumbnail_image1.jpgAnyone seen anything like this? Its been passed down for a few generations and i don't have a clue what it would've been used for. It has some damage at the base where it was glued back together.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
neato

hafted for split wood axe handle mounting perhaps

wouldn't it be incredible to go back in time and see how they were used and by whom?

hafted axe below for reference - not mine - I wish

cache.php

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83