Any rock hounds ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that was a good way to spruce up a couple of long corona days . Took pictures and notes so we know what we have. Still some polished rocks missing so I'll have to go on treasure hunt . Does anyone know if we have geodes in North Dakota ? When I was a kid my old man met 3 duck hunters from IL in the bar and told them I would take them duck hunting , I was pissed when they all decided to pick rocks for a couple of hours instead of go kill ducks , They told me they would be back the next year and they brought me all sorts of cool rocks they had sliced and polished , One was the geode in the picture , I told a guy that knows a little about rocks and he had never heard of geodes in ND. These guys knew their rocks and what to look for when it came to good ones to polish but they could have picked it somewhere else and gave it to me.

One is a Bannerstone , A weight for drilling holes or starting fires , I need to do more research on it. My wife picked that one up at an estate sale for $ 3 Yep three bucks, She bought a whole collection for little to nothing. next pic is to show what to look for when you find a smooth rock , look for a flat spot , groove or a wear spot. I like to think if a rock catches my eye it may have caught the eye of someone else too so I always pick them up and look for signs of usage

Last one I think might be coprolite, AKA petrified dinosaur shit. It looks extruded . Believe it or not, You can learn a lot from a rock.

bannerstone3.jpg

geode.jpg

grinder rock .jpg

dianasour poop.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last one I think might be coprolite, AKA petrified dinosaur shit. It looks extruded . Believe it or not, You can learn a lot from a rock.

Hope you have plenty of TP after handling that coprolite "dinosaur shit!"

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool beans,great finds guyz,seems over the years north dakota has digs where geolgists are working today,like old tar pits loaded with dinasour bones/skeletons,true?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/want-to-dig-dinosaur-bones-join-pros-these-spots-180973138/

Yes lots of digs in the state , It would be fun to do some day just for the fun of it , Pretty sure a guy could learn a lot.

One of my grandsons is really interested in dinosaurs and fossils , My boy took him to a dig I believe that was in Montana and they had a blast. My boy made some sort of plaster and inserted fossils in them and for the Grandsons birthday party they had a DIY fossil hunt out in the driveway , Sounds like it was a big hit with the kids.

SL I licked it .. True story. Here's why .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are two uses for banner stone that I found, One as a stabilizer and one for a primitive drill. I like the drill, Like the button and thread toys we made when I was a kid.

bannerstone bow.png

bannerstone spear.jpg

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Davey,

If you want to take a road trip with your grandson you should look into Ashfall Fossil Beds in Nebraska. Really a cool place and if you go at the right time of the year, they have people working on extracting bones and you can watch and sometimes they will come over and chat with you. You can even bring items you have questions about and they can try to answer them or tell you what you have. Turns out on a fishing trip with my dad, my son found a tooth from a hornless rhinoceros and an antler from a possible three horned deer that lived about 10 million years ago. An archeologist identified that information for us. You can google Ashfall Fossil Beds and find information about it.

Here is a picture of the archeologist looking at my son's finds.
1073953_10151718526499246_800837322_o.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome , Thank you for sharing . I just sent the link to our kids , I know at least a couple of the grandkids will be happy to see this.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what to think of these two , The buffalo is crude but It sure looks like it has been carved . The other one I have no idea if it was a tool or an act of nature. Thoughts ? Both found in the same area.

[video]http://lostseaexpedition.com/lost-sea-expedition-tv-series/[/video]http://lostseaexpedition.com/lost-sea-expedition-tv-series/

ss.jpg

BKrdDeDN4El6.png

WbRPG7jv2Mnq.jpeg

9oJR1g1AZCNU.jpeg

http://lostseaexpedition.com/lost-sea-expedition-tv-series/

- - - Updated - - -

watched this tonight on Amazon - thought your buffalo stone looked familiar

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing , The bottom looks a lot like mine does. That gives me hope that mine is actually a buffalo and not just a stone that resembles one.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta thank you again guywhosharescoolstuff . I was going to watch the first 15 minutes and hit pause then watch the news and Saturday night live but I said eff them and couldn't make myself hit pause till I was half way through the second video . The cool thing about the buffalo carvings is that they imitate the sound of a horse running , I thought it was a mistake or a fluke that one leg was shorter than the rest on mine. When I got to that part I hit pause and took the buffalo for a test ride . Sounds just like a horse running. The only difference is mine is made of stone and that one was bakalite (sp) but there is a connection.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stopped at Ashfalls fossil beds long ago wilst hunting nearby,place was shut down,think it was in december but would love to go back sometime

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Active palaeontology dig in volcanic ash with prehistoric animal skeletons, open to the public.[/COLOR]

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found this tooth this summer in a creek in the Sheyenne river valley. Any thoughts?
09732B67-9D7B-4C39-9CCC-CDE1FB5258A7.jpgBDEC56CA-3C1A-438F-BAE3-A24D1C89A5AA.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67