Any rock hounds ?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
About the size of a basketball!

That's interesting Trapper, about how big is it ? My wife and I have been spending a lot of time out looking this spring and I have spent a lot of time online researching some of what we find. One is a good sized slab of petrified tree bark , Based on the curvature I'd guess the tree would have been close to 20 feet in diameter. Next time the boys are home I'll challenge them to measure it up and do the math.

Wife found a nice hammerstone a couple days ago, we have found a lot of effigies and sea fossils, Some of those effigies can play mind games with a person. And then we have several hundred pounds of that leverite that Allen was talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Of all the hours of looking we still haven't found an arrowhead on the farm.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to hazard a guess that old feller was my step-grandfather. Name was Ed Hansen and he owned a bunch of land up in that area around then. I was probably 10, or so, when he first showed me what he called dinosaur eggs that protruded out of the ground just a few miles north of town.

Note, they aren't dino eggs, but you could sure convince people that they look just like what you would think a dino egg should look like. Those geologic features are way too young for dinosaurs.

We were going through some old pictures and this popped up.

rock guy.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was nice of Ed to give us a tour. We were out walking in the middle of nowhere and when he came driving up I didn't know what would happen next.

That was Sunday May 27th 1979, my wife and I were on our honeymoon. haha of all the places to take a bride on a honeymoon. In my defense, I was working 7 days a week in the oilfield and couldn't buy a day off. I was fortunate to find a low maintenance wife who enjoyed that day as much as Ed and I. We are still married and rock hunting together so it couldn't have been all bad.

- - - Updated - - -

We also have pictures of the dino eggs , Turtle formation of field rocks and a few others of rocks and formations. They are poor quality photos but if you have any interest I will send them to you.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was nice of Ed to give us a tour. We were out walking in the middle of nowhere and when he came driving up I didn't know what would happen next.

That was Sunday May 27th 1979, my wife and I were on our honeymoon. haha of all the places to take a bride on a honeymoon. In my defense, I was working 7 days a week in the oilfield and couldn't buy a day off. I was fortunate to find a low maintenance wife who enjoyed that day as much as Ed and I. We are still married and rock hunting together so it couldn't have been all bad.

- - - Updated - - -

We also have pictures of the dino eggs , Turtle formation of field rocks and a few others of rocks and formations. They are poor quality photos but if you have any interest I will send them to you.

Yep, I'd be interested in seeing the pics. If you give me some hints as to where those rocks and stuff were located, that would be great as well.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huntin How big is the 3rd from left in top picture ? tough to tell from pictures but it looks like it might be a paint pot or grinder I think. The far left rock in that picture is probably a paint pot too we find them up here too and almost all of them have what I call a "turtle tail".
those clean up real nice .

Huntin1

Established Member
It’s 3.5” long, 2.5” wide at the widest spot and about .75” thick. My ex wife and I always called it flint, but I believe it is actually chert. All three on the left are the same stuff. I found an arrowhead made of the same stuff but I gave that to my granddaughter.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
huntin. Right piece on bottom pic sure looks like a mammoth tooth.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know someone who has one and it was verified by a professional. Looks just like that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'll take pictures of a couple new rocks that followed me home You should see them. Actually I have one with incredible detail but I honestly think it's an act of God because it's so perfectly carved. It's small and hard to take pictures of.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what all I loaded for pictures will edit when I see .

IMG_0163.jpg

Small and sharp skinning tool and also has a face and headdress , The reason I question if it's natural or hand made is that it just looks too good.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

I think this is petrified wood bark

IMG_0179.jpg

Rocks with paint
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

Not sure what sort of critter this looks like it even has eyes ,
IMG_0165.jpg

I think these are paint pots , One has a turtle tail and one looks like a buffalo

IMG_0161.jpg

Rocks are everywhere and it's a fun hobby, We even find good ones in road gravel. This little hammer we didn't know it had been pecked on , Just brought it home because it looked neat , Scrubbed the dirt off and saw where someone started grooving it and quit, Kids toy ?

IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0159.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My question for others that look at rocks , do you find rocks with paint on them or is this natural occurring discoloration ? Mostly red and white and once in a while dark colors. Some I believe might be streaks of rust but there are some that sure look like they were painted.

Attachments

IMG_0158.jpg
Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trapper , I'm no expert by any means but I think there's a fair chance that your rock may be a natural act of mother nature. I have a smaller one with those features that is natural. Either way , worked or natural that's a very cool and rare rock.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post a couple pics of it some rainy day.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if this is anything or not but found it years ago and for some reason I poured something on it. But it looks like a bear and a bird have been carved into it. It is about silver dollar size and a 0BF5C370-54D5-4DEF-9777-852A86327C5F.jpgflat base. 379F4A38-412F-4875-BDD7-583B70F1A390.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
You fellows have a lot more imagination than I do. To me it just looks like interesting rocks. I don't see anything. Do you see the same thing without the mj? :)

Skinning tools are made with igneous rock that fractures conchoidal not granite.

The stone hammer looks good.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82