Time to buy a new pickup?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll never buy a new vehicle again. Not gonna get bent over and watch the dollar signs disappear when I drive off the lot. Maybe if it was for business purposes and tax write off but definitely not for personal use. Slightly used will do me just fine thank you very much.

If incentives are good, $$$/Mile can be just as good if not better than lightly used.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll buy a new Ram 2500/3500 6.7CTD Megacab if they give me interest free for 72-84 months.... thats the only way.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last new pickup I bought (less than 2 year ago) the dealer didn't have one that was equipped the way I wanted so I just ordered one. Same price and same discounts. Had to wait about 2 months for delivery but got what I wanted for the same price.

When is the best time to buy? Whenever the itch needs scratching. Even dealers don't know when specials are going to be offered. You can buy one day and the next day there might be a different offer, better or worse.

Last time I checked into it, many of the Ford discounts and rebates were limited to "dealer stock on hand". There were those that were available for special order, but since they said it would take 10-12 weeks to get it in, all the existing rebates and discounts were set to expire ahead of the expected delivery date, so they said I'd get whatever Ford was offering on the day I took delivery.

I wasn't in the mood to order something without knowing what the hell I was going to pay for it.

Note, that's been a couple years ago now.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wouldn't you just get the ford version of there F150 with the 3.0L diesel? I would expect if everything is equal, they likely get within a couple mpg of each other and when your approaching 30 mpg, a difference of one or two mpg doesn't mean much.

I have about 28k on a 2018 F150 Powerstroke. I absolutely love it. Like all full sized trucks mileage is incredibly dependent on wind; but I have broke 30mpg from Bis-DL one trip and have never been below 18 hwy driving. Pulling 21ft glass last summer for 4 days along the Mo River I sat 13-15 for the trip. Truck is quiet and rides nice.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We order all of our vehicles too. That way we get what we want so we can only blame ourselves if it doesn't have something we wanted.
Usually take 4-6 weeks and once we had to wait 8 weeks. It sat over in Mn waiting for a truck to load it up and haul to Bismarck.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Naturally aspirated gas motor, I agree. 5.0L/6.2L ford, 5.3/6.2 GM, 5.7 Ram/Toyota, 5.6 Nissan are all reasonably reliable and simple. Change the oil, use quality filters and just drive them. Not much of an issue buying slightly (or more) used.

If going diesel or turbo gas, I'd want to know everything that's put in, taken out, when, and by whom. Additionally, I want a turbo(s) (gas or diesel) that's been given sufficient warm-up and cool-down before and after any kind of "work". I wouldn't buy a diesel truck with just a few thousand miles on it if the previous owner happened to be a chronic idler and/or short-tripper who routinely plugged up the DPF and/or EGR.

I know lenders that won’t finance used diesel pickups. One catastrophe from being majorly upside down. I’ve heard of guys driving junkers and making payments on their diesel sitting in the driveway until they have enough equity to borrow more in order to fix them. Used diesel pickups can be $$$ toilet flush.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I checked into it, many of the Ford discounts and rebates were limited to "dealer stock on hand". There were those that were available for special order, but since they said it would take 10-12 weeks to get it in, all the existing rebates and discounts were set to expire ahead of the expected delivery date, so they said I'd get whatever Ford was offering on the day I took delivery.

I wasn't in the mood to order something without knowing what the hell I was going to pay for it.

Eide locked in the rebates/discounts available at the time I ordered, I don't like surprises either.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member

When I made the purchase agreement I signed for that purchase. That locked in the discounts, etc. Could have waited for delivery and gambled on what programs were available at that time. This was a GM purchase, not Ford. Don't know the difference between companies and dealers. Have been a long time customer of this dealership.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better off taking the rebates on the GM trucks vs 0% as regular rates are low with prime at .025% you don't get both 0% and rebate,$12g's off a 2020 silverdao all star edition is a great buy
Ram has been offering 3 years interest free for awhile. GM has 7 years interest free. No idea what ford is offering because come on who buys a ford. jk ford owners, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Wonder if Ram will come out with a better deal.

PS plus if you have a farm license or a legit business more discounts

dodge sucks for longivity,road salt eats up the stamped sheet metal in a couple years,you get what you pay for,but if a guy trades every couple years dodge is the cheapest way to go but a kick in the nutz when ya trade

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll never buy a new vehicle again. Not gonna get bent over and watch the dollar signs disappear when I drive off the lot. Maybe if it was for business purposes and tax write off but definitely not for personal use. Slightly used will do me just fine thank you very much.

No kidding, this thread gives me anxiety! There’s gonna be a load of nearly new pickups at an extreme discount over the next couple months; especially with what is likely to happen right there with the oil field. Get something a couple years old with 20K miles and save $30K! Shit, I’m already seeing cancellation hunts posted. You can probably buy a sheep/moose/grizzly combo on cancellation for $20K if you call around! Still have money leftover to hunt mtn goats and do some fishing. Priorities I guess....

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No kidding, this thread gives me anxiety! There’s gonna be a load of nearly new pickups at an extreme discount over the next couple months; especially with what is likely to happen right there with the oil field. Get something a couple years old with 20K miles and save $30K! Shit, I’m already seeing cancellation hunts posted. You can probably buy a sheep/moose/grizzly combo on cancellation for $20K if you call around! Still have money leftover to hunt mtn goats and do some fishing. Priorities I guess....

When is the last time you looked into buying a new vehicle? I looked for a full year before I ordered new. With the rebates and discounts available on new vehicles, you're not gonna save more than $3-5k on a truck with 20k miles. That used vehicle also comes with less warranty, which could mean expensive repairs. If you're going to save money by buying a used truck, you better look at something 10+ years old.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is what I thought the last 2 pickups I bought, problem I could buy a new one with rebates cheaper that a 2 year old with 20k or less miles.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When is the last time you looked into buying a new vehicle? I looked for a full year before I ordered new. With the rebates and discounts available on new vehicles, you're not gonna save more than $3-5k on a truck with 20k miles. That used vehicle also comes with less warranty, which could mean expensive repairs. If you're going to save money by buying a used truck, you better look at something 10+ years old.

To answer your question: never. And I guess I apologize, everyone can spend their money as the wish without judgement and I don’t know anyone’s financial situation.. I just get frustrated because every hunting forum I visit people are complaining because they can’t afford X trip and 90% of them have fancy vehicles (including 100% of my friends that say they can’t afford to come hunting). It’s something that pisses me off because people are trading dream trips for fancy vehicles and coffee. I didn’t pay a dollar to the bank in 2019. And if SHTF in the next few months, there won’t be any wolves at my door. No fancy pickup can replace the comfort I feel right now with the whole world on fire.

The wilderness will make me happier than any vehicle on the planet. Just booked a cancellation sheep trip and I’m the first on a list for a cancellation moose flight. I’ll be driving to the air strip in my 18 year old pickup with 250K miles with the windows down because the AC doesn’t work. And I’ll be smiling ear to ear! The borrower is slave to the lender and give me experiences over things 10/10 times.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as your pickup is “good enough for the girls you go with” and makes you happy, power to you:)

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
To answer your question: never. And I guess I apologize, everyone can spend their money as the wish without judgement and I don’t know anyone’s financial situation.. I just get frustrated because every hunting forum I visit people are complaining because they can’t afford X trip and 90% of them have fancy vehicles (including 100% of my friends that say they can’t afford to come hunting). It’s something that pisses me off because people are trading dream trips for fancy vehicles and coffee. I didn’t pay a dollar to the bank in 2019. And if SHTF in the next few months, there won’t be any wolves at my door. No fancy pickup can replace the comfort I feel right now with the whole world on fire.

The wilderness will make me happier than any vehicle on the planet. Just booked a cancellation sheep trip and I’m the first on a list for a cancellation moose flight. I’ll be driving to the air strip in my 18 year old pickup with 250K miles with the windows down because the AC doesn’t work. And I’ll be smiling ear to ear! The borrower is slave to the lender and give me experiences over things 10/10 times.

What's the price of a cancelled moose hunt going for now?

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member

Somebody got into the Dave Ramsey early!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

My experience a couple years ago would mirror this. At first thought I'd go the "lightly used" route and found it was hardly any cheaper than buying new, especially a holdover. Obviously newer vehicles aren't a 'good deal,' you're paying for luxury and the piece of mind of not having repairs pop up, it's not an appreciating asset.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for the Jones: I have a 2004 Chev DuraMax 2500 diesel. Paid for. 145,000 miles, injectors changed at the obligatory 100,000. 4-5 yrs ago .LB 7. Put new tires at 125,000.Basically no heavy or towing the last 3-4 yrs..or before for that matter(perhaps small boat or Ranger). Only use for 5-6000 miles a year.. don't see using it more than that in the near future...so..for you Jones's out there..0% interest to upgrade MIGHT make sense to upgrade..or does it? and go

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't go buying something right now. IF and WHEN anything gets turned around there will be tons of 0% interest rates mixed with all kinds of special offers. Don't listen to the urge to splurge and sit things out a while.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75